Home Cigar 101

Storage Question 5-Vegas Limitada 10th

The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
Keeping with the theme of today's DD: The Limitada Tenths come in a glass tube, corked, sealed and a piece of foam in there. Plan on storing and aging some but not sure how, this is new to me. Should I leave them in their tubes? Will the foam cause mold? Should they be in a humi if still in their tubes?

Space is limited in my humi's and in the tubes they won't fit so I threw a 70% pack in the box for now. Wish I could fit the box trays in the humi, they look like bottles of wine resting.

Any thoughts on storing are greatly appreciated, for now I will have to start smoking to make some room.

Comments

• MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey buddy....this thread may help.. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/577782.aspx
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    Hey buddy....this thread may help.. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/577782.aspx

Good thread - thanks Morgan.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely no reason not to just throw the whole thing in your humidor. Ive never seen a glass tube mold... can they??
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Morgan, think I will open 15 of them, keep the other 5 tubed for aging and keep a close watch on them. Haven't had a mold problem yet, why temp fate. Hedging my bet here, if mold becomes an issue I may not loose as many. Kuzi's point about aging is well taken, in Kuzi I trust, so 5 tubed and 5 naked for aging, if they last that long. Good thing about Limitadas, you don't have to write the date on them anyway.
    Gray4lines:
    Absolutely no reason not to just throw the whole thing in your humidor. Ive never seen a glass tube mold... can they??

I really hate to open them, they look so nice. When I have room may put the trays from the box in large humi, sticks fit perfectly in their cradles, and they stack nicely.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming you are maintaining a proper environment consistently, you shouldn't have a problem. I totally understand the rationale of just removing anything that can cause issues, but with proper maintenance and occasional checking, you should be fine. I have yet to have a problem with a tubo after I store it. I also try to maintain temps/rh around 65, so that may help.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Gray4lines:

I really hate to open them, they look so nice. When I have room may put the trays from the box in large humi, sticks fit perfectly in their cradles, and they stack nicely.
    They do look really nice... I love the fancy tubos. It may be a neat experiment to uncork some and leave others... maybe half half. Im just saying, once you uncork em, theyre open for good.

They one big issue with the metal tubos is, if mold is a problem you will not know until its too late since you cannot see the cigar. The glass tubos dont have this problem. So I really think it's your preference. Ive never had a problem with either. Like sleeve said, proper storage will likely remove a lot of potential for problems.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Tubo storage is something I was curious about initially as well. I read everything from take them out to loosen the caps, which you can't do with the TENTH, to leave them in. I tend to take a common sense approach to things so forgive me if I seem uneducated in the finer points of our illustrious hobby. My first thought was, "How are they stored in the B&M?" In the tubes of course! I'm guessing they wouldn't run the risk of ruining their stock so, assuming there aren't any major fluctuations in temp or humidity, storing them in the tubes should be fine. For that reason, I keep my tubes in my cooler, as it holds humidity more consistent
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    anything given the right oppertunity will grow mold
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Tubo storage is something I was curious about initially as well. I read everything from take them out to loosen the caps, which you can't do with the TENTH, to leave them in. I tend to take a common sense approach to things so forgive me if I seem uneducated in the finer points of our illustrious hobby. My first thought was, "How are they stored in the B&M?" In the tubes of course! I'm guessing they wouldn't run the risk of ruining their stock so, assuming there aren't any major fluctuations in temp or humidity, storing them in the tubes should be fine. For that reason, I keep my tubes in my cooler, as it holds humidity more consistent
    yes b&m's store as received and most will get rid of the product before mold can happen. I have seen plenty of mold in tubed cigars in b&m's and most will try to pass it off as plume! As stated lower rh and temp help out a ton! If you keep stuff at that you shouldn't have a issue...if you push the 70/70 myth you'll probably end up with mold
    Money can't buy taste
    Gray4lines:
    They do look really nice... I love the fancy tubos. It may be a neat experiment to uncork some and leave others... maybe half half. Im just saying, once you uncork em, theyre open for good.

Small minds think alike, my thoughts exactly. These being glass tubes I can keep closer watch and I love to experiment, even though I don't know what I am doing.

Thinking temp is more of a factor than the rh, if they are still tubed.