Home General Discussion

Perfect cutter binding

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So this just started happening over the last 5-8 cigars I've had... One side of my perfect cutters blades binds and won't close all the way... And in process jacks up my cigar. I've made sure that there is no odd bending or pushing in at a slant to avoid this. I cleaned them and made sure there was nothing cloggin pure tracks. But last night I had a guys night and I supplied the cigars and it chewed up 3 rather not so cheap DPGs. Any advice? I would rather not have to buy new cutters (but won't really mind having to do so lol)...
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had three measured or similar perfect cutters. They all bind up with tiny bits of tobacco that can't get out. After switching to a double blade no back haven't had the problem sense.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the cigars. A box cutter with a sharp new blade might get you by for a little while.

I've not had any experience with the "perfect cutter" (I believe that's a Cuban Crafters brand product.) My first question is, can you take it back? I guess that's my only question. Or maybe I could ask if you have tried soaking it in alcohol. Could there be something lodged inside it that needs to come out. The alcohol might help soften it up if it's a stiff piece of a stem jammed up in there.

If you want advice on a new one, get a xikar xi2. They are on the lower end of xikar's price range but they are high end cutters non the less. I have had some experience with a couple of Xikar xi2 teardrop cutters. And, aside from the time I pinched some of my skin in the crook of my thumb and forefinger with it, I've been pleased as punch with each of mine. Plus they are easily returnable and xikar will replace it if you ever have a problem.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I dot think I can return it. It was a gifty from a BOTL here on CCOM so I have no paperwork on it and have no clue how old it is. It's been a killer reliable cutter until the last few weeks. I'll look into the Xikars today :)
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Did I send that to you? If so, you should be able to call the company and see if you can exchange it.
    If you want to look into Xikar, I'd recommend the Xi2 or the MTX. I've been using the scissor/multitool for the past year and love it. Xikar's no questions asked warranty is worth the slightly higher cost, IMO.
    Yeah that's the one you sent me. :) I really want to keep this one cause I love it! Lol I think I might get a can of compressed air and see if I can blow something out. Haven't had much time to tinker with it since last night... So in hoping I can figure something out.

As for the xikar.... I found one on amazon for like $22 with free shipping so I might get that on the side for emergencies.
  • Aland84Aland84 Posts: 60
    I have one and haven't had any problems with it, but I do know that Cuban Crafters has a lifetime warranty on them. I'm sure if you contact the company they will help you out.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a punch cutter. Can't go wrong with Xikar.
    Haven't been much of a fan of the punch. I may have to give it a few more tries but I haven't been sold on it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't had any trouble with mine yet but it is starting to get dull. My cuts are starting to come out rounded instead of nice and sharp. But I only paid 5$ for it on eBay two years ago so that's not bad.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I have 3 Cuban Perfect Cutters and yes...like a lot of cutters they tend to get "crudded up" with bits of tobacco and I usually clean mine every month with a cotton swab and vodka...seems to do the trick with the cleaning and I just take a sip for myself in the process. The nice thing about the Perfect Cutter is that it's a branded name....call them and I'm sure they will take yours back and give you a new one...last time I checked they are warrantied for life. Doesn't matter if you don't have the paperwork.....or it was gifted to you...it's in your possession and that's all that matters.
    Soooooo.... In process if trying to unjam the cutter I accidentally pulled on of the blades out.... And a crap ton if stuff came out with it! Lol I got it put back together and it's running perfect now!
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should try to find one of these never gives me any trouble...... photo oldschooltool_zps54fe8a3a.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

twistedstem:
    you should try to find one of these never gives me any trouble...... photo oldschooltool_zps54fe8a3a.jpg

that is mildly frightening! What is it?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    twistedstem:

Damn that thing looks like some kind of mideval torture device??
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    LiquidChaos66:
    twistedstem:

Damn that thing looks like some kind of mideval torture device??
    its like 1950 circumsision tool....ouch.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

Oh.... Uh no.