Home Cigar 101
Options

Bride needs help selecting & correctly handling gift cigars

cmc34cmc34 Posts: 1
I purchased a flask/cigar combo for the groomsmen and found cigars.com to order some, but I read the 101 things a newbie needs to know forum, and it appears that I can't just order these, pop them into the flask holder, into a gift bag, and a few days later present the gift for smoking that day.
It is 2 weeks till my wedding, how do I handle the cigars once I receive them? What do I need to do to keep them in good shape outside of a humidor for the week or less they need to be kept before gifting them? I imagine they will be smoked that evening or the next day.
Finally, as to choice. I imagine all the guys have had cigars, but none would be considered to be cigar smokers. So I know mild to medium. I need no longer than 5 1/2" to fit the flask. From a review of the flask, I know a 42 will fit, but someone else said anything considered a regular thickness would fit. What size changes from regular to fat? Any suggestions on a reasonably priced cigar that fits these parameters?
As a thank you - I'll let you in on kitchen trick that the cigar aficionados might like to know - but from the 101 things, it may work too quickly. Placing a slice of bread into a sealed container transfers the moisture from the bread to the other things in the container. I've always used it for softening hard brown sugar. Works like a charm for that, but might only be good for already moist (enough) cigars...cause that article said you can crack wrappers if you increase humidity of a drier cigar too quickly. I also imagine the bread would be a short term solution, because mold would love that environment.
I look forward to your help and advice. Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call the folks at Cigar.com [here]. Talk to Kelly, Tim or Andrew.
    They can get you squared away and give you all the info you need.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:

Give them guys a call and they will handle everything. They will help you pick out cigars and when they ship them to you they will be in a humidified bag so you can keep them there for a week.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:

+1
    Yes call them. They will help you out quickly, fantastic service, Andy is a little weird though, lol. Call or e-mail a rep and they will walk you through it. For orders like this I e-mail back and forth to set it up, take advantage of daily deals that pop up, just less stressful. But you can call them and start an order then change it as you go before placing it. 2 weeks is not long though.

Congratulations too
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    0patience:

+1
    Yes call them. They will help you out quickly, fantastic service, Andy is a little weird though, lol. Call or e-mail a rep and they will walk you through it. For orders like this I e-mail back and forth to set it up, take advantage of daily deals that pop up, just less stressful. But you can call them and start an order then change it as you go before placing it. 2 weeks is not long though.

Congratulations too

+2 By all means give them a call. Probably have your very same problem already indexed and semi-quasi-sort of prepared all ready.
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    I am very fond of Perdomo 10th anniversary champagne you can usally find them on cigarbid.com some times for pretty cheap. these cigars are one of my favorite everyday cigars i give them to company when i have them over at the house. there are many other cigars that are good but i would recommend these
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you keep them in the ziplock bag with the humi pillow they enclose they will keep for a long time. Worse case scenerio you may have to charge it by soaking the pillow in distilled water for 30 seconds. They are good for a month or more fully charged. Then when it's time to make up the gift bag just put each cigar in its own ziplock bag. They will be ok for a week or so with out a water pillow. Just don't keep them whet it is hot or gets direct sunlight. The coolest part of the house is the best place to store them. But not in the freezer.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As everyone says, you will find the folks at ccom very helpful.

I've used the slice of bread trick with my pipe tobacco and it works great. It's funny when you see the little dried out piece of bread in just a few hours and the pipe tobacco is a fresh as can be. I've not tried it with cigars at all. >BR>