Home General Discussion

Neutralizing your palate

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I've found some great flavor combos with cigars like coffee, chocolate, meaty flavors and so forth. But what's a good way to neutralize your palate so you don't have residual mouth flavors sticking around before lighting up a good cigar?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A meal would be my best answer. Look forward to seeing what the experts say
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson and kuzi used to recommend non flavored club soda. For me, I like ginger ale. Although if you have some on hand, ginger slices ( like the ones used for sushi) might also help as that's its intended purpose. The ginger is purely speculation on my part though. I should probably try it out.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Alex Svenson and kuzi used to recommend non flavored club soda. For me, I like ginger ale. Although if you have some on hand, ginger slices ( like the ones used for sushi) might also help as that's its intended purpose. The ginger is purely speculation on my part though. I should probably try it out.
    all about the club soda. However white bread and milk seem to work well. I actually aim for ever so slightly acid so coke classic works well also.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Though it wants that pleasurable.... The milk and white bread worked pretty darn good! Gonna try soda water and ginger/ginger ale at some point in time as well :) but I think a Mexican coke will be a great go to!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Coke is good, I also like a lemon-lime soda.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Club Soda is what I have always used in judging food competitions. For cigars, I add lime or lemon. Chocolate works, acidic soda, orange juice oddly, coffee, tea, or many other beverages. Really a meal is the best way to go, or something with some sugar in it. A donut and soda kicks ass...
  • kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    Lemon ices do the trick, especially in the summer
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I can think if it I like to eat a few slices of an orange beforehand.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I like a glass of Ice Water. Personally I try not to eat anything right before (Except a piece of chocolate. which is really good with a cigar sometimes.)
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Also green cherries work really well. Forgot about that, but my shop owner always has them around when they are available.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I like to chew crushed ice. But I might just be addicted to chewing ice. just make sure to stop 30 minutes before you smoke or your tongue will be numb!.

Aj