Home Cigar 101

Cracking wrappers

ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
I have had a lot of my cigars that once you light them up and start smoking the wrapper is cracking about mid way. My humi is sitting at %65 right now. Is there any thing else that can cause it to crack or a way around having them crack?
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    What kind? I only ask as it is common with some brands. Normally I would say this is high rh or fluctuation of rh. This may happen with cheaper cigars as a stem burns and the filler expands as well. Pretty much every time I have dissected a cigar that explodes a stem is involved.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Just today i had 2 crack... 601 La Bomba and a 5 Vegas Series A... And a Log
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    slow down. any small unseen cracks will be exacerbated when smoking fast.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the first hint of a cracking wrapper if the band is lose enough I slide it down to about a 1/2" from the crack and just keep moving it up as I smoke. Or I take it off and use a piece of scotch tape on the band so it's lose enough to slide. Or a small strip of paper to make a homemade band.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Pretty much every time I have dissected a cigar that explodes a stem is involved.

A cigar post-mortem examination to determine cause of death? I have had that happen once, it was a Gurkha. Got it about half smoked and it cracked pretty good, just tossed it. Figured it was the way I was smoking it. If it happens again I may do an autopsy though.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know some are not going to agree with this.

I have had only 1 cracked wrapper since I removed all cello and cedar from my cigars. It use to happen way too frequently....

Gurkhas...I thought they were made to crack.:)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracking wrappers?? Or Wracking Crappers?? Lol....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Could also be that the humidity is a lot higher outside. Try dryboxing or letting your cigar sit out for a bit. Also like kuzi said you could be smoking too fast. I use to have my cigars split too, and the fix was letting them sit for a bit outside of the Humi. I too keep it at 65 to 68, though I've moved it to a steady 68.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    i haven't seen a cracker in a while.
    jliu:
    My bad, I should show up soon.
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    hahah straight grass roots yo
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    August, let's do it. I would now, but I am on a cutting cycle, so no booze, and I'd imagine THERE WILL BE BOOZE if I cruise up for a night lol.
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    August, let's do it. I would now, but I am on a cutting cycle, so no booze, and I'd imagine THERE WILL BE BOOZE if I cruise up for a night lol.
    down! oh there will be amazing cigars and booze. if you like brown liquor, craft beer, wine, I am your man. none of that vodka crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Cracking wrappers?? Or Wracking Crappers?? Lol....
    Ouch! Idid that last week. Bathroom floor was wet, went to stand, slipped, thought I was going to join a trnas-gender supprt group fora minute there.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I just freaking had this happen on a 5 vegas animal... and I think i know why. atleast for me.

my box tends to sit high, at 69-71. Ive never had issues in the past until this week. Also I noticed this week our outside temps are in the 110* range. So my theory is that when you pull the stick from the humi, the wrapper dries just about instantly making it brittle. as you smoke, the moisture inside the filler is swelling and it just splits the wrapper.

I agree, let the cigar sit outside in your climate for a while to try and stabilize the humidity across the stick. if your lucky you might not split a wrapper. other alternative............ is slobber that bad boy up and keep the wrapper moist so it stays elastic. A female sidekick being the preferred tool for this. just sit back and watch and enjoy no cracked wrappers.

Aj