Home Cigar 101

How many beads for my coolerdor?

So...I've started the process of making one of these guys. I bought a 50qt cooler (just waiting for it to arrive...) and want to use heartfelt beads. Anyone know how many/how much I should use?
The 1/2 pound bag seems like it'd be too much for that amount of space...Says it will work for up to 2.5 cubic feet (Which is about 74 quarts). Anyone good with this kind of calculation? Not me! Ha! I've emailed them but haven't gotten a reply in a week...

Here's the link to the beads.

Comments

• chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    ejasenovic:
    So...I've started the process of making one of these guys. I bought a 50qt cooler (just waiting for it to arrive...) and want to use heartfelt beads. Anyone know how many/how much I should use?
    The 1/2 pound bag seems like it'd be too much for that amount of space...Says it will work for up to 2.5 cubic feet (Which is about 74 quarts). Anyone good with this kind of calculation? Not me! Ha! I've emailed them but haven't gotten a reply in a week...

Here's the link to the beads.

I've always heard that the seal on a cooler allows you to use much less media than a wooden humidor, BUT I've also always heard that you can't have too many beads or bovedas that if you have more it will just stabilize the humidity more and help to minimize swings when you open the door or during changing seasons.

Are you going to have it filled when you get it and set it up, or will it be mostly empty because you've just gone to the larger size? Empty space needs more humidification, Cigars themselves act as a great buffer and without them you'd need more media.

I'd just go with the more is better and use the 1/2lb bag, you can always split it down the road and use some for a larger coolidor or another humidor.

From their website:
    Important: You can use more Hearfelt Beads in your humidor than the minumum amount recommended. The additional Heartfelt Beads will give you more moisture storage and help the humidor recover quicker when it has been opened. The extra Heartfelt Beads will also help compensate for seasonal changes and a less than perfect seal on your humidor.

EDIT: I also threw in a </a> tag closing your link, you didn't end your link and anytime someone clicked in the message field it'd open a new page on them. Might had prevented others from responding.
  • ejasenovicejasenovic Posts: 66
    Gotcha thanks!! And thanks for that "edit". Someone also sent me a PM because they couldn't post here...and I ALMOST got the HTML correct...
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    ejasenovic:
    Gotcha thanks!! And thanks for that "edit". Someone also sent me a PM because they couldn't post here...and I ALMOST got the HTML correct...
    ;) no problem!

I'm going to be getting a cooler soon and have been trying to figure out how big I want to go and what type
    Can't believe I missed this...but on the Heartfelt site there's a "calculator". You put in measurements...it tells you what you need. Genius! (Them, not me...Ha)
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    ejasenovic:
    Can't believe I missed this...but on the Heartfelt site there's a "calculator". You put in measurements...it tells you what you need. Genius! (Them, not me...Ha)
    DOUCHE! You didn't tell me you were getting a cooler!
    Ha! I'm workin on it, but stuff keeps coming up. First the alternator...now the brakes and coolant...When it's REALLY going to happen, you'll know.
    D-Bag
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I set up my 120 quart cooler last week and it's filled to the top....I put cedar sheets on the bottom and sides and used about 2 full cups of KL and sprayed it each cup with about 5 sprays each....it's a week later and it is staying at 67% with no movement plus or minus. I haven't added any DW since the first day and the nice thing with KL is you can put as much as you want but with my experience using KL for 5 years I pretty much knew how to set it up. Beads work well and if you want to go with beads I'd say at least 2 cups is a good starting point.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard many times that you should use more kitty litter than beads. And the theory was that beads are silica that is "manufactured" to have more pores on its surface. KL is basically natural mined silica and does not have as many pores and therefore you need more to do the same job as beads. KL is WAY cheaper, so using more KL than beads is not a problem. The only problem is you give up a little extra space in the cooler.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    OK JD, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jd50ae:
    OK JD, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Bob Luken:
    I've heard many times that you should use more kitty litter than beads. And the theory was that beads are silica that is "manufactured" to have more pores on its surface. KL is basically natural mined silica and does not have as many pores and therefore you need more to do the same job as beads. KL is WAY cheaper, so using more KL than beads is not a problem. The only problem is you give up a little extra space in the cooler.
    This is why you buy a bigger cooler next time....I am looking at buying the biggest I can find...walk in cooler perhaps?
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am setting up a 70qt cooler right now. I will be running a full pound of beads. I could probably sneak by with 1/2lb but it was close on the calculations so I went with the full. I might pull some out and use them in my desktop humi to get the rh down to 65% instead of the 70% it holds right now.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White