Home Cigar 101
Options

cigars with pipe tobacco

hi i was woundering if it is bad that i kept aromatic pipe tobbacco in my humidor with my cigars for a couple weeks the pipe tobacco was in an opend zip lock on top of my cigars. i took it out and my cigars smelled like it for a while it has been about three weeks and they dont seem smell as much or at all anymore but the cigar i had today tasted kind of funky like a bitter grassy flavor but i have had this cigar a few times before with out this flavor do you think i need tothrough out the cigars i have right now and put new ones in the humidor or buy an all new humidor and cigars or just put the cigars in a new humidor

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I would not advise this. Pipe tobacco should not be kept in a humidor, since humidity in the humidor is far greater than one needs for pipe tobacco. Keep your pipe tobacco in a Mason Jar, they work the best and will keep your tobacco moist and will help it age properly.
  • Options
    frank1711frank1711 Posts: 4
    ok thank you i figured that out a few weeks ago that is why i took it out but do you think it ruined my cigars or humidor with the smell because it was very strong and like i said that one cigar tasted funky unlike the others of the same one i had
  • Options
    Yea, it will, over time, actually infuse the cigars and seep into the cedar.
  • Options
    do you think it would after two weeks?
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    frank1711:
    do you think it would after two weeks?
    absolutly.

if ya get a chance, you should hang out down in the pipe section... theres a good thread about why pipe tobacco sucks in a humi. I found out the hard way... lol :)

Aj
  • Options
    so should i buy a new humidor
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    frank1711:
    depends on how much it smells like the pipe tobacco. Some of the Aromatic stuff i have is super super strong in scent.. Mcclellend Darkest Chocolate comes to mind.. that heavy chocolate smell can permiate my entire closet if I dont jar up an unopen bag of bulk. its not bad, but i dont want everything in the closet to smell like that either. I would say use your best nose judgement.. if its really "Pipey" smelling inside, just bag up your cigars in a ziplock with a boveda and let your humi air out. Then re-season as normal and your back in buisness. But if its not strong smelling of pipe tobacco and more just cigar and cedar, you might beable to just let it run its course and it might dissapate over time back to normal.

Aj
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    dr_frankenstein56:
    frank1711:
    depends on how much it smells like the pipe tobacco. Some of the Aromatic stuff i have is super super strong in scent.. Mcclellend Darkest Chocolate comes to mind.. that heavy chocolate smell can permiate my entire closet if I dont jar up an unopen bag of bulk. its not bad, but i dont want everything in the closet to smell like that either. I would say use your best nose judgement.. if its really "Pipey" smelling inside, just bag up your cigars in a ziplock with a boveda and let your humi air out. Then re-season as normal and your back in buisness. But if its not strong smelling of pipe tobacco and more just cigar and cedar, you might beable to just let it run its course and it might dissapate over time back to normal.

Aj
    Good advise here. I would hold off buying a new one. If it smells at all the zip lock or Tupperware options for the cigars are best and I would leave the lid off the humi for a while. When you cannot smell the pipe tobacco anymore close the lid and let it sit for a day or two (two if it is large). Then open it and smell it again. If you don't pick up anything but cedar re-season and smell again before adding the cigars.
  • Options
    If it is really permeated you can also use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol. Just wipe down the cedar with the isopropyl and let it air out for a good 24 to 48 hours. The isopropyl has a very high evaporation rate so it will kill the smell but it won't permeate into the wood. This is a last ditch effort scenario.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Would newspaper or baking soda or something like that work maybe?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Would newspaper or baking soda or something like that work maybe?
    I've heard of guys doing this too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America