Home Ratings & Reviews

Cusano P1 week, revisited.

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Ok, So I've been posting each night this week with a different vitola from the Cusano P1 line, which is a value driven line that offers up very good quality and tremendous bang for your buck. I'm gonna try and give a breakdown of the different sizes in the order I smoked them in an attempt to consolidate my impression of this line.

7/7/08: Torpedo. This was the single disappointment of the bunch. The cigar lit well and burned even, but after the promising first few puffs it lost all flavor. I don't know what the cause of this could have been, and quite frankly I'm surprised after how good the others have been. This one had a fairly strong cocoa flavor right away, and that's all it had as the flavors abruptly ceased leaving me with a cigar that tasted like cardboard. hopefully a fluke, but for now I give it a 7/10.

7/8/08: Corona. This was my favorite of the line, it offered up some good complexity, a veritable banquet of flavors and the superb construction that the entire line offers. This cigar started with a nice cocoa flavor that seemed to be present in the line as a whole. It progressed with a bit of nuttiness with a light grassy flavor, the good kind of grassy, almost like the scent of sweet hay. And as it burned it picked up a nice flavor of coffee that faded into a robust leather on the finish. This was a stellar offering, and I'd give it 9/10.

7/9/08: Cafe Robusto (5x36). This is a little cigar, but it gives a good kick, probably the second strongest in the line in my opinion. Again almost flawless construction, the draw was a bit on the loose side and the burn required minimal attention. As I said, this one carried a bit of strength and was more straight forward with flavor, with leather dominating the palate and a nice cocoa undertone right along with it. A good short smoke, and a solid 8.5/10.

7/10/08: Robusto. This one brought back a bit more flavor and was more mellow than the Cafe Robusto. Again, construction was very good, the cigar drew perfectly and the burn required no help. As with the others, this one started with cocoa and a slight leathery undertone. The cocoa never really went away, but it did give way a bit to a note of cedar and some sweet nutty flavors about halfway through. Another nice offering from the P1 line and an 8.5/10 from me.

7/11/08: Churchill. Finally, the coup de gr

Comments

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    *claps* And very well done. I am always looking for good cigars, irrespective of price (though I am not Daddy Warbucks :P), and appreciate the exhaustive review of the whole line. Now, how to fit this one in the list of cigars I am ordering? Hmmm :P
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i always find it interesting how a cigar can be different from one shape to another.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    After reading these I may need to branch outside of my norm. I usually smoke Robustos and the some Torpedos.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i liked the torpedo better than you did. however mine was resting for almost a year.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I do plan on giving the torpedo another shot, as I refuse to believe that the one I had is a good example of what they should be like.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    The Cafe Robusto is one of my faves during the work week.  Great taste and great value. 
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Good stuff, Joe. It's interesting -- and very useful -- to see all the shapes in a line reviewed together like that. Sounds like I've gotta add another cigar to my "Things to Try" list.