Home Non Cigar Related

Goodby to a friend.

onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had to take my chow/retriever mix for his last ride.
I found Ted at the dog pound 9 or 10 years ago, he had been adopted out and returned as defective 3 times before I found him. When I opened the cage door and knelt down he tried to climb into my lap leaning into me so hard he about knocked me over, he was so excited he just could not stay still, anyway he was young (2 yrs. ?) and healthy and I have a soft spot for chows and he got to come live with me. Ted helped me put in the garden, when I would dig up a rock and throw it to the pile he would bring it back, always the right one , this went on for days. Ted also helped me build a deck, while digging the holes for the footing piers he would throw his ball into the hole so that I would HAVE to get it out and throw it, there was no ignoring this dog! He would take the rim from the board I just cut and carry it to his spot in the shade and pile it up for me. Tennis balls were his favorite, he would go around the neighborhood and collect them for me, one day he collected 23 balls, all he wanted to do was play ball.
About 6 weeks ago he quit eating, the vet said he had a severe gastrula tract infection and severe spinal arthritis as well as anemia. He did not respond to the meds very well, he would seem to get a little better and then relapse again. When I got home yesterday I knew it was time, I bounced his ball to him a few times and carried him to my truck.

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I too am a dog lover and losing one is like losing a member of the family. He sounded like a great dog. Makes me want to go spend a little time with my own now. Wishing you the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm sorry for your loss and I know how hard that was for you. May he rest in peace and no longer suffer anymore. My heart goes out to you and let me know if I can do anything.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Nathan you got me choked up. It's amazing how these relationships develop and are so strong. Sounds like you guys were a great match and I'm sorry for your loss.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this Nathan. He sounds like he was a loyal, friendly dog and loved being around you. Let me know if I can do anything for you.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    So sorry for your loss Brother, lost my little buddy not long ago. Miss him dearly but have so many Great memories to shuffle through in my mind. Wishing you strength and peace getting through this time
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did good taking him in. We have a spot (actually 2) where we bury our little family members when they pass and it hurts every time. We know that, like you, we give them all the best we can, and it is such a pleasure to know that they return the same with their antics and loyalty. People who have never taken in a dog never experience the bond that grows and never understand how sad it is when one of our best friends passes. I really do believe that if there is a better place after death, that is where our dogs are. I feel your sadness.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry, for your loss of a fur-child. They do look to you for the strength sometimes, it is never an easy decision but it was the right thing to do. Amazing how much they become a part of us and affect our lives isn't it. I still have my last 2 dog's favorite toys in the china cabinet, kind of a shrine. Take care and as I tell my dog friends; dog spelled backwards is God, you were blessed.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I posted this a couple times already here for JD and Honorkinight when they were going through something similar, I hope maybe you might find comfort in it also. I love “rescue” dogs, every one that I have ever had was a rescue and they make for the best friends/family members.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

My neighbor gave me a poem similar to this when I lost my child hood dog of 16 years. I found it comforting at the time and I hope you do as well. I have had a couple dogs that I have truly loved and it’s never easy losing one.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so sorry for your loss brother.about a year ago we went thru a rrough patch with my buddy gus,ended up with 2 choices let him go on ahead or spending a chunk of change we really couldnt afford to.needless say i wont be buying anything for awhile!!but it sounds like you gave him a lifetime of happiness and love!!my heart goes out to you and your family!!! best wishes
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Man it's a tough thing to go through. I'm glad you both got ten years together. I lost my lab/road dog a couple of years ago after nine years of great times. It's a tough thing. I stopped hunting after she was gone, just didn't feel like it was any fun without her. It took awhile for me to get another one and while they aren't like her they are awesome in their own way too.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain man. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. :( My thoughts and prayers are with ya.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I've been where you are. I once had a lab mix with a touch of chow in him. Well, he had a black tongue anyway. We assumed there was some chow in there somewhere. Your description of his love for tennis balls was similar to ours too. Remember the joy you shared. And, thanks to you, he lived a great life.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the years of love you gave him.

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to read this Nathan, I'll keep you in my thoughts my friend.

Sounds like you two had some wonderful years together and you gave him a good life.
    May Ted rest in peace.
    Cherish the good memories you have, and may his spirit always live on in your heart.

One of the greatest injustices of the world is that our pets lives are much shorter than our own.
    I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *