Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever use and umbrella rig(Alabama rig). Thoughts? I've been hearing good things about them for bass. In CA you can only have 3 hooks though...
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Anyone ever use and umbrella rig(Alabama rig). Thoughts? I've been hearing good things about them for bass. In CA you can only have 3 hooks though...
    I have one the Lee gave me years ago. Im tempted to use it but I haven't seen anyone else use it out here. I dont want people to be like "wtf is that noise" lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Have used them but not that much. Like everything they have a time and a place. MO is the same way with 3 hooks. I will either put something on 2 leads without hooks (spinners maybe) or just cut the hooks off on a 5 rig. They do however make a 3 rig as well.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I figured it was worth a shot. Hell there are times on our lake where the bass crush green Berkley atomic tubes with a pink crappie nibble on the hook. I used those once fishing for crappie and kept pulling up small bass :), that kind of wierd stuff makes me love fishing!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Caught 2 pound and a halfers today

One God, One Truth
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    im too ADD!! I love crankin and pitchin I tend to fish fast for the most part unless I'm Muskie Fishin. But yeah too damn heavy and loud for me
    Money can't buy taste
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Jetmech_63:
    im too ADD!! I love crankin and pitchin I tend to fish fast for the most part unless I'm Muskie Fishin. But yeah too damn heavy and loud for me
    Im the same way....i cant fish plastics because of that
    Did some treasure hunting at my folk's house. Found a float tube I never used. Brand new, never opened the box. Score
    photo C3183EBD-orig.jpg
    caught a handful all about this size today. all on drop shot wacky senko
    photo 2C8A4E7E-orig.jpg
    For those who use the dropshot method, what type of line do you use? Anyone use braided? Or use a diff line for the leader?
    98.6% of the time I use Berkeley mono. I have flouro on one rod and 50lb braid on a heavy cover pitching rod. Other 10 have different weights mono.

I've made the switch too 100% flouro for the most part. But with dropshots I normally use braid and a flouro leader...but I have just used flouro it depends on my mood when I'm putting new line on the reels
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I've made the switch too 100% flouro for the most part. But with dropshots I normally use braid and a flouro leader...but I have just used flouro it depends on my mood when I'm putting new line on the reels
    Lee! How do you rig this? braid with flouro leader.

danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:

look up the double uni knot...it helps with putting backing on as well
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I mean the actual leader. How long should the whole leader be? Maybe 3 ft?
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    With braid you should always use a backing. To combine the leader to the braid is an easy knot really..almost like a double synch
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I mean the actual leader. How long should the whole leader be? Maybe 3 ft?
    i usually keep the leader as long as the rod
    Money can't buy taste
    What line do you guys use for backing? Can you use backing on a spin reel?
    You can. I usually don't. I don't use backing on a bait caster either.

matkn293:
    I'd like to try it out. Flouro and braid can get expensive. Also, I ask these questions because my brother recently gave me a rod for drop shot. It's a med heavy though. (I like my rods to be heavy. The heavier the better)I want to use braid to set the hook better.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    matkn293:
    (I like my rods to be heavy
    A/S/L LOL I love fishing but you guys keep throwing out all this new lingo ....... I feel lost ....... Someday Mr. Reyes I will go fishing in Cali with you!
    kingjk729:
    danielzreyes:
    matkn293:
    (I like my rods to be heavy
    A/S/L LOL I love fishing but you guys keep throwing out all this new lingo ....... I feel lost ....... Someday Mr. Reyes I will go fishing in Cali with you!
    :)
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    LOL I love fishing but ...
    Lol, you kinda sound like me! I love to fish, but I really never took the time to really "learn" to fish. I'm more of a reach into the tackle box and grab a random lure, tie it to a random stick with random line, and try to catch a random fish. That pretty much sums up my fishing lesson for today! Lol, okay, it isn't actually that bad, but I do learn a bit from listening to all you guys.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    danielzreyes:
    matkn293:
    I'd like to try it out. Flouro and braid can get expensive. Also, I ask these questions because my brother recently gave me a rod for drop shot. It's a med heavy though. (I like my rods to be heavy. The heavier the better)I want to use braid to set the hook better.
    I use mono for backing and for dropshots I usually use circle hooks so you just need to lean back with some tension to set the hook. But I do suggest using backing especially if you fish in the rain
    Money can't buy taste
    Do you find you get spool slippage with the braid? Is that the reason for the backing?

You can also Carolina rig. Braid up to you weight and bead then leader from there to the hook.

I never used backing. I very very dislike the Carolina rig
    What's wrong with a Carolina?

Was just never my cup of tea. I remember using it on a baitcaster and it would totally mess up my cast because of the offsetting weight.
    danielzreyes:
    Was just never my cup of tea. I remember using it on a baitcaster and it would totally mess up my cast because of the offsetting weight.
    sort of the same reason why I want a spinner setup for dropshot