Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Do you give 110%?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
100% of the people who give 110% do not understand math.

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Brit's answer reminds me of that famous oxymoron - "feminine logic"..... Lol
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn that video makes me think of some of the engineers I work with.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Lots of scientists I know too. Only the conversation goes more like, "Yes, I know we already knew this 50 years ago, but this time we did it with lasers."
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    100% of the people who give 110% do not understand math.

Had to think about this for awhile because I do understand the question. I remember a crew meeting years ago and the idiot (I demand respect) supervisor suggesting everyone give a 110% for an extremely (in his mind) important "event". Of course all of the PC types nodded their agreement and assured the idiot they would give it their all.

I look around the group and besides me there is only 1 other person biting their tongue. The rest of them never gave an honest days work in their lives and I new beyond any shadow of a doubt that only 2 of us could stand on our productivity. It was amazing how being PC and a brown noser could get you pats on the back, the best schools and all the OT.

Now if I was to do a comparison, and this would apply to all jobs, 2 of us put out at least 200% compared to everyone else. And I know that there are other folks on here who know exactly what I am talking about.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Mathmatics and rhetoric are two different subjects. I guess I understand how someone uses this phrase as rhetoric even though it is a mathematical impossibility in the given usage.

I just treat it with some grace and try to not let it bother me.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    A great thing about engineering is that manipulation of units can make most of these little colloquialisms valid. For example, if you assume you are playing a sport at the best you feel you can, but adrenaline kicks in and suddenly you can play longer, run faster, etc than it could be considered playing at 110% because of the catalyst of adrenaline. Same could be said for increasing work output due to gaining more energy from coffee or whatever, it's all valid depending where you set 100%.

Conversely, one could argue that these people in the example are only acting at 90% and the extra help got them to 100% or even more realistically they are operating even lower because people really can't operate at 100% efficiency. But sheds a bad light on the person instead of praising them.

Either way, this is all essentially worthless but I'm bored of my stupid thesis so this is what comes out.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to give a hundred ten percent. But I had to borrow that extra ten percent, at ten percent. Since I found I could not come up with 111 percent, I lost interest.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    The3Stogies:
    Lots of scientists I know too. Only the conversation goes more like, "Yes, I know we already knew this 50 years ago, but this time we did it with lasers."

I think they call that "validating the process", it sounds better.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    A great thing about engineering is that manipulation of units can make most of these little colloquialisms valid. For example, if you assume you are playing a sport at the best you feel you can, but adrenaline kicks in and suddenly you can play longer, run faster, etc than it could be considered playing at 110% because of the catalyst of adrenaline. Same could be said for increasing work output due to gaining more energy from coffee or whatever, it's all valid depending where you set 100%.

Conversely, one could argue that these people in the example are only acting at 90% and the extra help got them to 100% or even more realistically they are operating even lower because people really can't operate at 100% efficiency. But sheds a bad light on the person instead of praising them.

Either way, this is all essentially worthless but I'm bored of my stupid thesis so this is what comes out.
    Da fuq...mind blown.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving 110 Percent

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%?

Here’s a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
    A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

is represented as:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Then:

H-A-R-D-W -O-R-K
    8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
    11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
    1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T
    2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far @ss kissing will take you.

@-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
    1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that while Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it's the Bullsh*t and @ss kissing that will put you over the top.

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon