Home Non Cigar Related

I Kinda Just Died...

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
So I was just at my lady's optometrist's office with her. I got to talking with the doc - a man who's easily in his late 70's or further - and we were chatting up cars.

Basically he goes on to tell me about how he liked sports cars when he was younger. When I inquired further, I learned that it went like this...

1969 Jaguar XKE
1961 Aston Martin DB4
1970 Jaguar XKE
1971 Porsche 911t
And somewhere in the middle, he fell about $5k and 4 days short of buying a Mercedes 300SL - for the price of $15,000...

I just about died! Who the hell else has the ability to talk casually about owning (and almost owning) some of most gorgeous automobiles ever made??? Anybody feel me on this? I know I can't be the only car nut around here...
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    So I was just at my lady's optometrist's office with her. I got to talking with the doc - a man who's easily in his late 70's or further - and we were chatting up cars.

Basically he goes on to tell me about how he liked sports cars when he was younger. When I inquired further, I learned that it went like this...

1969 Jaguar XKE
    1961 Aston Martin DB4
    1970 Jaguar XKE
    1971 Porsche 911t
    And somewhere in the middle, he fell about $5k and 4 days short of buying a Mercedes 300SL - for the price of $15,000...

I just about died! Who the hell else has the ability to talk casually about owning (and almost owning) some of most gorgeous automobiles ever made??? Anybody feel me on this? I know I can't be the only car nut around here...
    Cars are pretty... the go VROOOOM!
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    yeah.....that's why I'm still pursuing Dental School.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    iduno... never a fan of the jags... but the DB4 is sweet.

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    71 Vett has my pick
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    There was a whole line of Vettes heading west on my way to work this morning. Mostly 2000s and up but I did spot a few 80s and one Stingray. Needless to say, I almost ran off the road while I was staring.

2 years ago I was also 2 days away from owning a 1970 Oldsmobile 442...always the one that gets away.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I had a whole line of Vette's (all of them newer no oldie's) going West on I-94 a few days ago here in Milwaukee... What the "H" are they doing?
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Goldy:
    71 Vett has my pick
    I always preferred the muscle cars. '66-'67 Mustang fastback, '69 Camaro, '70 'Cuda
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rdnstn:
    Goldy:
    71 Vett has my pick
    I always preferred the muscle cars. '66-'67 Mustang fastback, '69 Camaro, '70 'Cuda

'72 Cuda was my first car
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:

Almost bought a '69 XKE (coupe, not the convertible) back in the early '70's....Until I drove one, that is. There are some things the Brits did and do well, but building Jags wasn't/isn't one of them. IMHO.

Marty

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I am a Nissan guy....but one these days I will own the new GTR Twin Turbo!

"Long ashes my friends."