Home Non Cigar Related

Need your help

I have a 4-7 hour interview this coming Thursday and I'm sick - I've been in bed since Saturday and not getting better. Do I attempt to reschedule or do my best? I'm not sure if the company would see my reschedule attempt as bad or give me credit for coming in sick. Then again, I want to do really well so everything is telling me to reschedule. I've wanted to work at this place ever since getting into I.T. back in 1996. Thanks for your help, my mind is fuzzy.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me, I'd call them and tell them what you just said.
    That you've wanted to work for them since you got into IT in 1996 and that you came down with something and will come in to do the interview, if it kills you.
    But ask if it would be ok to reschedule.
    If they can't, then you know what you have to do.

I hope the best for you.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn James sorry about that, hope you feel better soon and I agree with Tony. You should reschedule so you can be your best!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    That you've wanted to work for them since you got into IT in 1996 and that you came down with something and will come in to do the interview, if it kills you.

I hope the best for you.

+1
    It usually takes a while to fill some positions so if this is the first round of interviews I'm sure they would re-schedule you for later. Tell them you have a known virus and don't want to infect their system unnecessarily.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    0patience:

I hope the best for you.
    This is good if you can talk to someone who that matters to. If you're talking to some random secretary that'll roll her eyes as you ramble on and then just tell her boss you want to reschedule, I don't think this will work. In that case you gotta push through and keep the appointment IMO because they'll never know the circumstances of your reschedule, but they will clearly see the effort you made to keep the appointment when you get there. Until then, zinc, as much as you can tolerate, and good luck!

^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    This is good if you can talk to someone who that matters to. If you're talking to some random secretary that'll roll her eyes as you ramble on and then just tell her boss you want to reschedule, I don't think this will work. In that case you gotta push through and keep the appointment IMO because they'll never know the circumstances of your reschedule, but they will clearly see the effort you made to keep the appointment when you get there. Until then, zinc, as much as you can tolerate, and good luck!

I tend to agree. Unfortunately, in today's job market, with thousands of people applying for a single job and applicants nothing more than chattel to the average manager and HR flunkie, any sign of less than a 100% commitment is too often seen as a reason to chuck the candidate into the "no hire" file. And that's for the GOOD companies. Imagine how it is with the not-so-good. I'd do your best to recover as best you can, take a dozen aspirin the day of the interview, drink three cups of coffee, do you best to fake it, then go home and collapse for the rest of the week.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Sorry that this is happening James. You say the interview is 4-7hours? That's quite the serious interview - is this later stage interview, in that they've narrowed down the field to you and some others? If they already know you somewhat maybe you could ask for a reschedule. On the other hand, Thursday is still a few days away and perhaps you will start to notice some improvement by then.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    0patience:

I hope the best for you.
    Agreed. I've had this happen with folks I've interviewed and ones my bosses have interviewed, unless it has some event like a public meet and greet we have always tried to reschedule. If you've passed the paper screening and they've set aside that much time then they see something in you they like. However, if they don't want to reschedule just be up front during the interview process and DONT shake hands! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks. This is the first face to face and will be the only one. I called and the hiring manager is out all next week so That pretty much settles it. Hopefully I can do well enough to get an offer.
    Good luck man!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Keeping a good thought for you. Good luck.
    How was it? I bet you are glad that's over....
    It went well except I forgot one very easy "you should know this" term. Very embarrassing so I don't know how they took that. Personality wise it went very well but I just don't know. Thanks for the well wishes and support.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Whew, bet you are relieved. I'm sure they will understand the simple mistake, interviews put everyone on edge. I was interviewing a lady in a small conference room once, one on one, and she had gas. I think I was more embarrassed than she was. I didn't say anything at all, at the time, but she ended up getting hired and we joke about it now. Good luck
    Any update James?
    Nothing yet but Thanks for asking. It will be 2 weeks this Thursday. They said it would take between 1 and 2 weeks. I'm going to call them tomorrow.