Home Cigar 101

Plastic wrap while storing

Hello all, this is my first question post.  Using a lot of helpful information on this site, I put together a tupper-dor as I'm now beginning to purchase more than 1 cigar at a time and would like to age / keep some just to have on hand.  My question is, while storing, do most of you generally keep the individual plastic wrap on your smokes, if they have one?  My first inclination was to take the cigars out of the plastic so they can absorb the humidity more easily and take in some of the spanish cedar lining the tupper-dor.  Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I leave it on. As others have mentioned on this site, it helps to protect the cigar. While it may slow the rate that humidity is absorbed, it will also slow the rate at which humidity is lost. If you're worried that they came from an environment where the humidity was not ideal, I'd say to give it a few weeks in the proper conditions.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Personal preference really, but I leave mine on for the same reasons as duty wrote. Kuzi did a good write up on the cellophane wrap, it is actually a porous material made from wood, so it is breathable.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    The cellophane, as I learned on here, is actually porous and not reall plastic. It is an organic material so you could leave them on. But I prefer to take them off so that they are part of the humidor and pick up the flavor of the cedar.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I like my cigars nakked......I unwrap them before I put them in the humi.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i keep it on. there are few things that i find more frusterating when it comes to cigars than picking a stick up out of the humi and having a crack in the wrapper. Keeping on the cello helps cut down on this.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey jsthomas.. Same here I leave the cello on but, I clip it all the way back so that the end of the cigar is just barely covered instead of the cello being flapped over.. Best of both worlds cigar breathes and ages better and the stick is protected from cracks and handling.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I began taking my cellophane off a while back, but now I leave it on all new cigars I get. I found that some of the more fragile wrappers were getting damaged due to no cellophane protection...most of them are ok, but some are just so fragile. So, for the sake of your cigars, I'd have to recommend leaving the cello on.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Another thing I've learned their handy for is labeling. After getting a few packages through the fun & games thread, I realized I needed to label the smokes I got from people here, so I would know which one came from who, and who to thank when I smoked it. (I think kuzi labels all his stogies with the date he put them in the humi. Is that right, kuz?)

Unfortunately, I didn't think of that until after I'd gotten the first few packages from people. So apologies in advance to Scrambler, j0z3r, and BFGarner: at this point, guys, I can't remember who sent me what.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I leave mine on. I like to look at them and rotate them too much. It helps protect them during handling.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    (I think kuzi labels all his stogies with the date he put them in the humi. Is that right, kuz?)
    that is true. I dont put who gave them to me but i do put the date.
    Ok, so you guys have almost sold me on leaving the cello on. But can you buy the cello wrappers or know where to get them other than keeping old ones.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    Ok, so you guys have almost sold me on leaving the cello on. But can you buy the cello wrappers or know where to get them other than keeping old ones.
    Not that I know of. Most sticks come with em these days though so old ones shouldn't be hard to come up with.
    Yeah I can keep the old ones but I have a couple dozen sticks back home that I have already taken the cello off of. They may hae to stay that way and just apply this to new sticks. Although I havent had too many sticks that have been damaged either.
    See, now you've got a good reason to smoke 2-3 cigars a day.... after all, you wouldn't want those naked cigars getting damaged, better to smoke them asap. :)
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Or buy some more, smoke them, and put their cello on the old ones.
    j0z3r:
    See, now you've got a good reason to smoke 2-3 cigars a day.... after all, you wouldn't want those naked cigars getting damaged, better to smoke them asap. :)
    I wish it was that easy. The smokes are at home, I am in Iraq. They should be ok since the key is lost to my humidor, no one is messing with them.
    Bad Andy:
    j0z3r:
    I wish it was that easy. The smokes are at home, I am in Iraq. They should be ok since the key is lost to my humidor, no one is messing with them.
    Ahh, you've got a good reason to come home, hire a locksmith, then smoke 2-3 cigars a day. Keep 'em coming Andy, I'll try to come up with something for anything you throw at me. :)