Home Cigar 101

Humidors are running a bit high

CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the recent increase in humid weather my humidors are running a bit high. I have two 100 ct humis that are at about 67-68. Nothing to be alarmed about by any means, but I would prefer to be back to 64-65. I use the black ice and 65% boveda. I already pulled the black ice from one humi but it didn't help.
Would adding a small bowl of dry kitty litter be a good way to drop a couple points off the rh? I thought this might be the best way, instead of doing something drastic like leaving the lid open for a while. Any suggestions?

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    how long has the humi been sitting since you removed the black ice? Ive noticed on my Humi's that a change like that takes around 12 hours to stabilize.

Aj
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    how long has the humi been sitting since you removed the black ice? Ive noticed on my Humi's that a change like that takes around 12 hours to stabilize.

Aj
    Pulled it last weekend so it's been several days. Also should mention they are both full of cigars. I could probably take the boveda packs out as well and it would maintain a decent level for quite a while. Don't know if this would be an option or not.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might have a bad seal. Did you have trouble with low humidity back during the winter?
    Bob Luken:
    You might have a bad seal. Did you have trouble with low humidity back during the winter?
    Ran about 62-64 when it was really dry. Just chalked it up to the climate and didn't really think about the seal. I'll dollar bill test. Also going to place a hygrometer outside the humis and see what the room rh is.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are running high right now as well. My basement is really humid and I have to empty the de-humidifier twice a day. My cooler stays spot on at 65, but my desktop humis are ranging in the high 60's. I had some pieces of cedar from boxes that I put in to help bring it down a couple degrees. I would probably take out the boveda. One of the desktops where I keep CCs, I have it down to one of the small (2x2 inch)boveda packs to keep it at 63.
    Hygrometer dropped four points after being removed from the humidor. The ambient humidity is still lower than both humidors.
    As far as the dollar bill test, I'd give it a C. Almost pulled the humidor across the dresser on the sides but pulled out a bit easier on the front. Not an easy pull, but easier than the sides.
    rsherman24:
    Mine are running high right now as well. My basement is really humid and I have to empty the de-humidifier twice a day. My cooler stays spot on at 65, but my desktop humis are ranging in the high 60's. I had some pieces of cedar from boxes that I put in to help bring it down a couple degrees. I would probably take out the boveda. One of the desktops where I keep CCs, I have it down to one of the small (2x2 inch)boveda packs to keep it at 63.
    I will take out the boveda as well and check in on it periodically. Thanks.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't temp have something to do with it too, as the temp rises the rh increases slightly? Did I read that or was I dreaming?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    BOVEDA!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. That's the easy fix here. Desktop / boveda / happy. If you happen to already have the right kind of silica kitty litter then give it a try but I wouldn't go out and buy any for a desktop. I'd get bovedas instead.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boveda has a metal tray now to hold the packs. Awesome product. Stick it to the top of the desktop and no more moving packs around every time you open it. Takes up very little space
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    It's probably just temp. Warmer air can hold more moisture. Anything two-way should fix it I think, so KL should work.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    It's probably just temp. Warmer air can hold more moisture. Anything two-way should fix it I think, so KL should work.

Bob Luken:
    Yep. That's the easy fix here. Desktop / boveda / happy. If you happen to already have the right kind of silica kitty litter then give it a try but I wouldn't go out and buy any for a desktop. I'd get bovedas instead.
    Pulled the boveda out of one of them yesterday and it reads 66% today.
    I'll keep an eye on it. I have some kl already as I made a coolidor a while back. I probably won't need to go that route, though. I think I'll be okay now to just skip the black ice and throw in a boveda after it drops a couple more points.
    Thanks guys
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Bob Luken:
    Good advice here with the smaller humidors. I've even had wood humidors with a slight seal problem and the boveda still corrected the issue. If you have a larger humi then I'd advise using KL and just add it dry and that should take care of the problem. I've also read in these warm summers that if your inside temp in your house is greater than 78 degrees your RH will take a hit as well...which is why I use a cooler where the pound of KL keeps it at 65% with no problems.
    Cigary:
    Bob Luken:
    Good advice here with the smaller humidors. I've even had wood humidors with a slight seal problem and the boveda still corrected the issue. If you have a larger humi then I'd advise using KL and just add it dry and that should take care of the problem. I've also read in these warm summers that if your inside temp in your house is greater than 78 degrees your RH will take a hit as well...which is why I use a cooler where the pound of KL keeps it at 65% with no problems.
    My coolidor has been fine.
    Update on the one humidor that I pulled all humidification: Since it is full of cigars, it has maintained at 65% for a couple weeks now. I probably won't be putting the black ice back in until winter when it gets really dry. I'll go with a boveda when it drops to 60-62%.