Home Non Cigar Related

What do you know about katanas?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I really really want a traditional Japanese handmade katana. What can you tell me about them?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An authentic Shinken sword can run you between $2,000-3,000.
    There are other less priced out there, but it is very expensive for an authentic sword.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    That's my biggest problem right now. I've seen a few newer non-famous blade maker swords for around 200-500. But I really want one with papers and all the official whatnot.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    That's my biggest problem right now. I've seen a few newer non-famous blade maker swords for around 200-500. But I really want one with papers and all the official whatnot.
    Nihonzashi sells really nice folded steel swords for a fairly decent price.
    But a folded Shinken sword will still run between $900-$2,000.

Oh yeah, you can find antique swords for around $5,000 and up. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I found a few older blades with the original authentication paperwork and build diagrams going or 10k+. It only made me want them more. I had a friend tell me about a few local places that get old WW2 katanas periodically. I would love to score one of those.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I found a few older blades with the original authentication paperwork and build diagrams going or 10k+. It only made me want them more. I had a friend tell me about a few local places that get old WW2 katanas periodically. I would love to score one of those.
    I have one of the WWII models that they issued to their army non-coms, I inherited it from my grandfather who brought it back from either Okinawa or Luzon ("McAurthur was not allowed to to be mentioned in his house unless the word "idiot," "fool," "glory hunting SOB," or other swearing accompanied it), I don't recall at the moment which island he picked it up on since he was in the first wave of both those landings and two others. The blade is pretty high quality steel but the hilt and grips are stamped metal. I also have a junior naval officer's saber that was surrendered to my grandpa before the officer was allowed to board the ferry to the treaty signing on the Missouri.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you don't want to hear this....but your timing sucks. Just had a friend offer up a pile of the real thing, and they were in outstanding condition. Sold for an average of $750 each. If I wasn't so broke I would have bought 3 of them, and then traded you for cigars.
    jd50ae:
    I know you don't want to hear this....but your timing sucks. Just had a friend offer up a pile of the real thing, and they were in outstanding condition. Sold for an average of $750 each. If I wasn't so broke I would have bought 3 of them, and then traded you for cigars.

lmao!!!! Dang... I would have had to trade you my whole humi and all my cigars to come close to $750!!! Lol
    perkinke:
    LiquidChaos66:
    I have one of the WWII models that they issued to their army non-coms, I inherited it from my grandfather who brought it back from either Okinawa or Luzon ("McAurthur was not allowed to to be mentioned in his house unless the word "idiot," "fool," "glory hunting SOB," or other swearing accompanied it), I don't recall at the moment which island he picked it up on since he was in the first wave of both those landings and two others. The blade is pretty high quality steel but the hilt and grips are stamped metal. I also have a junior naval officer's saber that was surrendered to my grandpa before the officer was allowed to board the ferry to the treaty signing on the Missouri.

man... Those are absolutely gorgeous! I would kill to get my hands on that katana... Where do you live again? ;)
    hehe, you'd have to kill to get them. ;) I'm pretty torn on whether to try and restore them or leave them in their current condition. I'm not sure what they looked like when my grandpa brought them home. I guess when my mom was young he had them displayed by the fireplace, apparently it was the first thing the boys saw when coming to pick up my mom or aunt for a date, rumors were rampant amongst the high school guys about what they were used for. My grandpa always claimed he never thought about that, and while I wouldn't have put it past him for that to have been deliberate he certainly would have admitted to it later in life. :) but anyway, I have been thinking about restoring them because for all of my life (30 plus years) they had sat in his store room outside of the main house, and while it was dry (northern CA) I am not sure if the paint on the scabbard or hilt degraded in the 60 years they've been here.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    NEVER RESTORE THEM!!!! they lose value and they look like crap afterwards IMO leave them the way they are. they look beautiful the way they are. put them up on a wall in your house. If you have ever watched pawn stars they say never restore guns or swords they lose the value.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother trying to restore them unless you get someone to do it professionally. Trying to do amateur restoration usually ends up damaging it and bringing the value of the weapon down.
    I would leave those beauties as is. :) they are absolutely beautiful man!
    wwhwang:
    I wouldn't bother trying to restore them unless you get someone to do it professionally. Trying to do amateur restoration usually ends up damaging it and bringing the value of the weapon down.
    oh no, wouldn't try it myself until I knew what I was doing. I'm not really concerned about value, they won't leave my possession until I die, they were one of the few pieces of property specifically detailed in my grandpas will, he wanted to be absolutely sure I got them.

Sorry to jack your thread Chris, I'll keep my eye out for some for ya, we have some pretty decent second hand stores around here and LOTS of old people. ;)
    perkinke:
    wwhwang:
    oh no, wouldn't try it myself until I knew what I was doing. I'm not really concerned about value, they won't leave my possession until I die, they were one of the few pieces of property specifically detailed in my grandpas will, he wanted to be absolutely sure I got them.

Sorry to jack your thread Chris, I'll keep my eye out for some for ya, we have some pretty decent second hand stores around here and LOTS of old people. ;)

You were on topic though. Lol you didn't thread jack anything. :) honestly I'm stoked that you shared the pics! They are amazing pieces of history and have great sentimental value for you! If you do have them professionally restored... Post pics! :) until then display them proudly!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone has a pair of them that both fit the same sheath. They're for sale fairly cheap (I think).

photo 0929AD7B-2B37-4428-8E12-A9BFD6E07D71.jpg
    If you think you might be interested just PM me and I'll give you the contact info. I don't know the seller so Caveat Emptor.....
    I'm not quite in the market for anythin yet. I gotta save some cash for my Casa Fuente trip next week! :)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I'm not quite in the market for anythin yet. I gotta save some cash for my Casa Fuente trip next week! :)

Okey Doke. The seller is asking so little for these I figured maybe he doesn't know the value of what he has. I know another potential buyer so I'll pass the info along to him.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Mortal Kombat!!! Fatality
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I've seen cheap katanas like that on sale in any sword site. They're usually stainless steel and not built for anything other than hanging on a wall.