Home General Discussion

OTT vs REST

I'm noticing that cigars that i order are online, that taste 'funky' off the truck can become fantastic after some time in my cooler.
Aren't they supposed to be at their peak when they are released?
Any thoughts?

TIA
Dan

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I often find that is not the case. usually with lower end cheaper cigars is this really obvious... but i have had some premiprems that were much better after some time. Thats why you need to buy enough so you can test one as time progresses!

Aj
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    danksheehan:
    I'm noticing that cigars that i order are online, that taste 'funky' off the truck can become fantastic after some time in my cooler. Aren't they supposed to be at their peak when they are released? Any thoughts? TIA Dan
    A lot of the problems can also be from the travel. If they are air shipped the pressure changes, etc, or the heat in a truck, etc. But, you also may like some the aged cigars...so buy some and age them,
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    danksheehan:
    Aren't they supposed to be at their peak when they are released? Dan
    By and large, no. Plus the travel can wreak havoc.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a couple bad experiences with cigars smoked ROTT so now I let them acclimate for at least a week before I will even try one (prefer a month but usually can't wait that long).
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I usually wait a minimum of a week before i smoke a cigar that has been shipped to me because shipping can screw up the flavor profiles of a cigar. Who knows how long that box has been sitting in a truck with no AC baking in the sun.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I try to wait a few months before I touch anything...usually helps a ton and yeah
    Money can't buy taste
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to wait at least 2 weeks, but try to wait a month!
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I generally have less problems with stuff ordered online than I do from B&Ms. I've never had an issue rott, but have had plenty of overly humidified sticks from B&Ms.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I have quite a few cigars on hand I find it easier to let them rest after shipping. I've seen many mentions on this forum that a month is a good period of time. Aging is a completely different story. I see many guys recommend 6-12 months (or more) time for certain brands.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually let them sit for a week or so but sometimes smoke one right off. Don't recall any real bad experiences but some resting seems to be the way to go. If I buy a box I usually smoke one right off, then a month later and so on.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    danksheehan:
    I'm noticing that cigars that i order are online, that taste 'funky' off the truck can become fantastic after some time in my cooler. Aren't they supposed to be at their peak when they are released? Any thoughts? TIA Dan
    there are so many things going on with this question....

danksheehan:
    I'm noticing that cigars that i order are online, that taste 'funky' off the truck can become fantastic after some time in my cooler.
    how much time? a few weeks isnt that much time. a few years... that is a very different concept.

if we are talking a few weeks, then there is a very good short answer that has pretty much been stated above: cigars are humidity and temperature sensitive.
    this means that when in transit they are not under ideal conditions. this can produce off flavors. a few weeks in the humi and all is right again. this is very normal.

danksheehan:
    Aren't they supposed to be at their peak when they are released?
    this is a very subjective question.

there are some companies that go out of their way to have a cigar at their peak when it is released. Drew Estates is a prime example. those cigars dont age well, but they do need some age to get the oils to marry. DE will age them until they are ready and then ship them. once shipped, there is about a year of window for them to retain the flavor they want them to have. anything beyond that is up to you.

Padron on the other hand, does not age in the factory at all. some would argue that a new box will not be ready to smoke for a good 6 months to make sure fermentation is done and no ammonia flavors are present. anything after that is age and subjective.
    mostly though, cigar manufacturers will release a cigar when it is "smokable"
    it may not be at its peak but it should be decent.

if you age or not is part of the fun of the hobby. experiment and have fun with it.
  • danksheehandanksheehan Posts: 46
    Thanks Kuzi.
    Appreciate the insight.

Long ashes
    Dan