Home Cigar 101

Buying a humidor

bwalkbwalk Posts: 6
Hi, I have been smoking cigars for about 6 months or so now and have recently decided to take the plunge and buy a humidor. I have decided that I would need it to be about 50 count, so I figured I would go ahead and buy a 100-150 count humidor (because the multiplying by two and then adding some seems to be the way to go, from what I've read). Anyway, I was just curious of suggestions for what else I should look for in a humidor, like if there were different 'brands' to consider.

The local place here sells humidors by a manufacturer called Maverick, but I wasnt sure if there was maybe a better quality or if all the manufacturers made about the same product and it mainly came down to looks and style.

Also, I have read on the forums here that beads are the way to go and using the humidor that comes with some humidors just as a backup water storage unit, so I think this is the way that I will end up going. But I havnt seen much on what qualities to look for in a good hygrometer, so if anyone has opinions or suggestions on that I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm... multiply by two and add a few...
    that equasion sounds good in theory. here is my advice. buy as big as you can now. youll kick yourself later if you dont. If you can afford a 300+ humi, do it.

as far as brands go... iduno. this is kind of a personal thing. i know what i look for in a brand. I personally like deviders and shelves and all kindsa stuff like that. some people want a big empty box. iduno. If i were to build the perfect humidor for me it would be about a 500ct with power inside to power an oasis and a fan. it would have some sort of cooling device (probably a peltier or some variation) and it would have drawers, two of them would be for beads alone.

but im a nerd like that.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    A tuppador would work as well if you are on a budget and would rather spend more on smokes than a big humi. You can always get various samplers to try to discover your taste more then once you know what you like put more money into humidors.

I wish I would have known about tuppadors before I came to Iraq. I would have been aging and resting this whole time while i was over here, something I'll be ecorrecting on R&R. So I would agree with Kuzi here, if you are going to get into this go big up front it will pay off in the end.

Kuzi would just turn his house into a large walk-in humidor if he could...then we would know where to have the ccom meet and greet.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Here's an absolute must for your humidor, make sure it has a proper seal. You can check this a couple different ways:

The Dollar bill Method: You place a dollar bill underneath the open lid and close it over the bill, then you tug gently at it. The idea is to have very firm resistance and not be able to pull the bill out with ease.

The 2-3 inch drop. Open the lid and hold it open about 2-3 inches, then drop it. If the lid closes with a clang, walk away as it does not have a good seal. Ideally you would want the lid to close softly with a whoosh, that lets you know it makes a proper seal.

That is the absolute for any humidor, beyond that it is up to what you like,
  • bwalkbwalk Posts: 6
    I have been using tupperdors for about two months now. While I really like them and enjoy their ability to provide an economic and efficient way to store cigars, I would like something that is a bit more presentable to guests. Granted I wont be showing my humidor full of cigars off to anyone important, but I like nothing more than to invite friends over and have a nice presentable humidor to "show off." I still plan on using tupperdors to control overflow and handle cigars that I wont necissarily be sharing with friends when they come over (out of sight, out of mind). This is more of just a presentable way to store them and share them with friends.
    So you want a desktop, a show box. I can understand that. Maybe use it as your presmoke box. Then Joe's advice is good about the seals.
    Bad Andy:
    Kuzi would just turn his house into a large walk-in humidor if he could...then we would know where to have the ccom meet and greet.
    If i could i would. im not too sure the wife would be to keen on the idea though.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Bad Andy:
    If i could i would. im not too sure the wife would be to keen on the idea though.
    LMAO!

You guys covered this topic well, I have nothing to add except. If you buy a wine fridge you can turn the whole damn fridge into a humidor, that'll impress the buddies, trust me.
    I forgot about the fridgador. I may do that next year when I am home.
    Bad Andy:
    I forgot about the fridgador. I may do that next year when I am home.
    Make sure if you are going to do an actual fridgeador that you buy a thermoelectric fridge, like a vinotemp. Mine is compressor driven, so I'll never be able to use it as a stand alone fridge-a-dor, so I've been told. Thats ok by me I'm content setting my humidors inside it for temp control.
    Thanks for the advice but holy shnikeys are they expensive.
    many would argue that they are worth it
    especially for those who live in the warmer climates.
    When you've bought a bigger more powerful AC unit and it still runs 24/7 trying to keep the house under 80* bc its 110 outside, yea its worth it!
    kuzi16:
    IT's Global Warming, it's killing our cigars. Yeah, it gets hot in GA too. That will be a consideration when I home. Expanding my this cigar hobby will be expensive.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    kuzi16:
    IT's Global Warming, it's killing our cigars. Yeah, it gets hot in GA too. That will be a consideration when I home. Expanding my this cigar hobby will be expensive.
    Are you kidding Andy.. Cigars love the hot weather..and global warming is perfect, pretty soon we can grow the tobacco in Canada..
    kaspera79:
    Bad Andy:
    kuzi16:
    Are you kidding Andy.. Cigars love the hot weather..and global warming is perfect, pretty soon we can grow the tobacco in Canada..
    And Alaska will be a place sane people want to live... everybody wins.
    'Global Warming' ended over 3 years ago, its actually cooling now. But I'm sure we will be ok. You just might want to stock up a little bit just in case we go into another ice age.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    What's wrong with Alaska? I loved it the 3 years I was there.
    rdnstn:
    j0z3r:
    What's wrong with Alaska? I loved it the 3 years I was there.
    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool southern Californian Ron. I can't stand any sort of real weather, I only know cool, warm and hot . I think Alaska looks beautiful and I'm sure I'd love it there in the warmer times. So, nothing wrong with Alaska actually, just poking fun, ya know how it goes...:)
    Yeah I know...just messin with ya.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhhh Alaska... Some say it's beautiful, some say it's majestic, but on a map it looks like North America's Foam Finger
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    'Global Warming' ended over 3 years ago, its actually cooling now. But I'm sure we will be ok. You just might want to stock up a little bit just in case we go into another ice age.
    Where the hell was global warming when I needed it last winter .. 10 below zero 60 mph winds wind chill factor or 50 below zero.. What was that movie March of the Penguins I think they filmed it right here in the midwest..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    GW must've been here, kas. We had an extremely mild winter.
    Does it ever get that cold in Memphis. We had a a couple of snow showers in Atlanta last winter, we haven't had a good one of those in several years. Then with the drought for the past few years, people were freaking out with all the rain storms this year. It just goes to prove you can't predict the weather nor the climate. The Earth is going to do what the earth does. THe 'Global Warmers' and 'Climate Changers' need to humble themselves, humans can NOT impact the earth THAT much in such a relativately short amount of time. A couple hundred years of industrialism is a speck in time considering how long this planet has been around. Al Gore created the internet just as much as he made a factual documentary.

---stepping off my soapbox---

So back the the subject of humidors...what is the best brand of plasticware to use for a tuppador? Tupperware, Gladeware, etc...is there a preferable one or is just preferance?
    rubbermade puts out some sturdy and air tight containers. if i was gunna go that route thats what i'd use.
    Tupperware or Rubbermaid
    I'm using a large rubbermaid cake container. lined with 2 RP Edge boxes.
    Awesome, trying get things lined for when I go home. Thanks.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Anything wrong with just using a good cigar box as a humidor?
    Typically they don't create a good enough seal. Typically they are designed to breathe a little so they can be placed inside a humidor, closed.
    Yeah, I'll also be shipping a tuppador or two. So the better the seal the better shape they will be in when they get over here. And I'm guessing they are easier to maintain if you don't go in/out of them a lot.