Home Cigar 101

Humi-Care

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got me a 4 oz. of the crystal gel humidification. I finally broke down and decided I needed something better for my humidor over the standard humidifier that came with it.

With the basic humidifier included with the humidor I was running around 70-73/68-70 and had an average or consistent 70/70 lately before adding the crystal gel. I just put this new jar in and the humidity is about 73%. I still have the humidifier in their too but haven't filled it lately.

My question to you guys is..... should I use both the crystal gel and the humidifier or should I take the humidifier out or quit refilling it? I am using a digital hygrometer of course.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd say use what keeps your Rh constant... No more, no less...

If you need the extra Rh boost then leave it, but if the gel does a god job, then don't worry about it!
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    If the gel can support that size of your humi, then just use that. I use way too many beads in my humi, but it stays extremely consistent.

My friend swears by the crystal gel and they work great for him with the addition of the PG solution. I almost got the gel, but I figured the beads were I one time investment as opposed to the gel and PG solution. Either way....toss the foam!!!!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Here is a link for some great beads available in 65 or 70 RH and they are way cheaper then Heartfelt beads. These are the museum quality beads, check 'em out.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now my humidor has gone nuts. I am running 72/75 so I removed the humidifier and just have the Humicare in there now. It seems to be losing moisture and slowly starting back towards the crystal gel. My humidifier appeared to be bone dry so why the hell is my humidity climbing? Never had this problem before.
  • ViseronViseron Posts: 35
    Before I switched to the heartfelt beads, I used one of the humi-care gel jars. I always had problems with my RH being way too high. I ended up having to take it out of my humi for a day or two every week.
    I don't want to have to do that. Guess I will look into beads. It is getting to 75% and I want 68%-70%. Up to 72% wouldn't bother me too much but 75% seems too high. My humidifier was perfect so I may just go back to the cheap humidifier that came with it. My temps are good at 70-72 degrees always.
  • ViseronViseron Posts: 35
    Yeah, it got to be a real pain in the a$$. I suggest getting the heartfelt beads, i've never had a problem. Just charge 'em and forget about them for a while.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    laker1963:
    Here is a link for some great beads available in 65 or 70 RH and they are way cheaper then Heartfelt beads. These are the museum quality beads, check 'em out.

Wow, half the price. Nice find! Laker, do you use these? ...not that it matters as I purchased a bound of heartfelt beads a month ago, but for others here, it's good to know if you've put them to good use.
    Go figure. I get a package today and have my humidor wide open "playing" with my cigars. I now am at 68% with the Humicare. I think these beads will be next on my list.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You know I have the humi-care humidfier in my mid sized humi and my rh is high too. I just stuck a match stick in the lip so it doesn't seal all the way and now it stays at 70%-72% (much better than the 80% it was with the lid fully closed).
    Mine went to 75 and then I caught it. It was holding a steady 72RH after that. Do you guys think 72 is ok or too high? I generally like to be between 68-70 and thought 72 might be too high.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    laker1963:

Wow, half the price. Nice find! Laker, do you use these? ...not that it matters as I purchased a bound of heartfelt beads a month ago, but for others here, it's good to know if you've put them to good use.
    furball hasn't responded yet, though I wish he would. I'm intrigued. BTW any know what the RH of the humipacks that ccom send? So I put my two hygros in a boved pack with a humi pack, and the round one, after two days showed 65% while the skinny one showed 78%. I'm leaning towards the round one as being more accurate.
    phobicsquirrel:
    TatuajeVI:
    laker1963:

furball hasn't responded yet, though I wish he would. I'm intrigued. BTW any know what the RH of the humipacks that ccom send? So I put my two hygros in a boved pack with a humi pack, and the round one, after two days showed 65% while the skinny one showed 78%. I'm leaning towards the round one as being more accurate.
    OK, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was actually dealing with them and was waiting for some shipping information. They were charging just generic shipping rates that were NUTZ! I contacted them and sent a link to the USPS site where they could send more for less and the guy contacted me and thanked me for my efforts and told me they were refunding me the additional $10+ they had originally charged me as well as updated their postal shipping software and now they are charging less for shipping.

The fellow I was corresponding with was Nik and they processed my order within an hour of me making a PayPal payment. I grabbed two pounds to save a little extra on shipping to Canada. You guys should get great shipping rates.

Also the Humi Pack's that come with C.Com orders are 67%, but we all know they can be overfilled to the point where 70+% is more like it. I think they work real well when they are moist and fairly flat as opposed to looking like a pillow. They couldn't possibly absorb more water from the air when they are already balloned from over watering. IMO

FOOTNOTE>>>I just recieved order confirmation and tracking information for this package. In the end it cost me $44.30 ($33.90 for the beads)for 2 lbs. of 65% beads with pouches for them and that includes the shipping to Canada.
    Guys in the US should do even better as far as shipping goes.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    wow doug! that sounds like a good deal.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    TatuajeVI:
    laker1963:

OK, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was actually dealing with them and was waiting for some shipping information. They were charging just generic shipping rates that were NUTZ! I contacted them and sent a link to the USPS site where they could send more for less and the guy contacted me and thanked me for my efforts and told me they were refunding me the additional $10+ they had originally charged me as well as updated their postal shipping software and now they are charging less for shipping.

The fellow I was corresponding with was Nik and they processed my order within an hour of me making a PayPal payment. I grabbed two pounds to save a little extra on shipping to Canada. You guys should get great shipping rates.

Also the Humi Pack's that come with C.Com orders are 67%, but we all know they can be overfilled to the point where 70+% is more like it. I think they work real well when they are moist and fairly flat as opposed to looking like a pillow. They couldn't possibly absorb more water from the air when they are already balloned from over watering. IMO

FOOTNOTE>>>I just recieved order confirmation and tracking information for this package. In the end it cost me $44.30 ($33.90 for the beads)for 2 lbs. of 65% beads with pouches for them and that includes the shipping to Canada.
    Guys in the US should do even better as far as shipping goes.
    that's cool they did that for you. I really like the usps, and have had way less issues with them. I hate having ups or fedex ship my stuff. I'm never home and If I need to sign or something it's almost impossible. Maybe if I lived right next to their hub then maybe but it's a long ways from me and what's the f-ing point of paying for shipping if I have to go pick it up? usps is much easier and cheaper. and I can always pick it up or have them schedule a time.
  • I had a question regarding humi, i jus bought one and im doing what the instruction state, the part that throws me off is after finishing calibrating hydrometer it says place in humi, but do i leave shot glass in there or take it out. the way im understanding it is once i calibrate hydrometer take shot glass out and your good to go. Anyone has input on this?
    Anthony24:
    I had a question regarding humi, i jus bought one and im doing what the instruction state, the part that throws me off is after finishing calibrating hydrometer it says place in humi, but do i leave shot glass in there or take it out. the way im understanding it is once i calibrate hydrometer take shot glass out and your good to go. Anyone has input on this?
    That's right. Once your humi is seasoned you remove the shot glass and add (if you haven't your humidifier. The humidifier will keep the humi seasoned and stable.
  • So I got my humi seasoned now I'm having problems with temp. In humi. Now I've been reading in the forum about beetles now I'm worried cause my temp is at 79 and rh at 68. Anybody has any advice of what I should do?
  • DeputyDeputy Posts: 13
    Thats where both my desktop humidor's are at, I dont really know how to get my temp down.
    Deputy:
    Thats where both my desktop humidor's are at, I dont really know how to get my temp down.
    There is another thread about this. You can use a cooler with a block of ice put in just long enough to get the temp. down, then remove it and close the cooler. The temp while stay cool for quite a long time and with some work of putting in and removing the ice block you can get thru a hot spell.
    Make sure the ice is in a bag or container so you don't get any water in the cooler :)