Home Cigar 101

What Cigar to buy?

Hello all, alot of great info here. I am a newbie, and prefer a hint of sweetness in the taste of the cigar. Any suggestions? Not like some cheap swisher sweet, but just a hint of sweetness. I do prefer the 50-52 ring size smoke as well. Thanks all!! Everyone have a great day!

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    CWDavis65:
    Hello all, alot of great info here. I am a newbie, and prefer a hint of sweetness in the taste of the cigar. Any suggestions? Not like some cheap swisher sweet, but just a hint of sweetness. I do prefer the 50-52 ring size smoke as well. Thanks all!! Everyone have a great day!
    Hey, there is a cigar I tried awhile back that I remember having a sweet taste to it called Baccarat. Although I don't prefer cigars with a sweetness to them, this was a quality cigar with a nice taste and construction.. Another cigar that I like is Drew Estates Natural Line Clean Robusto. Very nice with a Vanilla taste throughout.. Just keep them away from other cigars because they are infused with flavor which spreads to other cigars in the same container.. I've had these as a change of pace, the Drew Estates line is a quality cigar, ( if you prefer flavors). Check them out online..under the company name.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you are looking for a slight sweetness, then I'd recommend you try a maduro wrapper, as the maduro wrapper leaf has more natural sugars present than others. As for a cigar, I think you'd be in good shape looking into a Cusano 18 Paired maduro perhaps in the robusto size.
  • CWDavis65CWDavis65 Posts: 2
    Hey, thanks for the ideas,to you and j0z3r, I appreciate you replying so quickly. This is a great start and if you think of anything else....I'll be watching!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have to second the maduro thing. get a nice dark wrapper. Usually this means that the leaf is more fermented and the surgars are more prominent.

as far as baccarat goes... they are ok. I seem to remember a very black pepper spice to them. I feel that the smoke itself wasnt all that sweet but since the tip is sugar dipped your tongue has a hard time deciding where that sweet came from. im not a huge fan but i would have no problem smoking one if they were being handed out.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I think I'm going to post this in every thread I see tonight. Onyx Reserve. :)
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    RP Vintage 92 has a Creamy/Sweet taste as well. That may be worth your try, also.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    I think I'm going to post this in every thread I see tonight. Onyx Reserve. :)
    I replied in the other thread. Decent cigar but I don't recall too much sweetness with it.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, I wouldn't call it a sweet cigar, either. More savory.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I don't know that I would call the Onyx sweet either, but an awesome smoke!!! I might suggest Rocky Patel Vintage 92 also. That was a really good smooth smoke. I love the Edge Maduro but might be a bit too bold if you aren't ready for that yet. I smoked a great Arturo Fuente Maduro july 4th weekend. Don't remember which one it was tho. But so far everything by Fuente I've tried has been very impressive. Looking VERY forward to getting my hands on a Hemmingway!!! Acid makes some sweet flavored cigars that might be attractive to you. I tried a Kuba Kuba. Wasn't my cup of tea but you might give them a shot. J