Home Cigar 101

How fake are these?

VinnyBVinnyB Posts: 2
I just came back from the Dominican Republic and while I was there I bought a box of 25 Cohibas for $45 (haggled from $50). I knew there was a chance of them being fake but I didn't know anything about cigars so I split the box with my cousin. We bought it from a stand outside the mall in Punta Cana. We tried a couple when we were over there and they were ok but we don't know anything about cigars and it was both of ours' first cigar.

I included some pics and some things stand out from what I have seen online. The print on the box is inked I think and not pressed and the cohiba label on the cigar should only have 5 rows of dots in total with 3 on top of the word cohiba but mine has 3 on top and 3 on the bottom. The triple top also isn't present and the green and white seal on the front is suspicious looking compared to others.

So I just wanted to get a sense of how fake these were and if they at least looked somewhat of a decent quality. It came out to less than $2/cigar so I'm not too pissed at them being fake.

http://imgur.com/a/5lw4D#0

Comments

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how many levels of fake there are, but this is way up there. Sorry bud, but you've been duped! Do a search and you'll see all the imperfections. Sorry again!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't smoke Cohibas at all. But looking at your photos and seeing the lack of quality and I see fakes.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From that price alone I know they are fake. There are a lot of securoty features on a box so knowing what youre buying and what type of box they come in helps. But those look pretty damn ugly too. Usual suspects (besides wrong or misplaced seals on the box) are poor bands, bad cap on the cigar, and ugly filler in the foot. Enjoy them for what they are!

I think many would be surprised at the number of fakes being pushed. Some are really hard to spot too. Even some big time cigar guys get fooled. To be safe, it's best to find a habanos dealer and go there. The classic example of a fake is one coming from the beaches of the D.R.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lmao that's pretty damn bad!! But at least you got cellos for $45
    Money can't buy taste
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Have seen a few reviewers vids about fake Cubans and having disturbing things inside them like human hair, plastic shreds, leaves & grass clippings etc etc
  • VinnyBVinnyB Posts: 2
    Do you think these are safe to smoke then or should I just throw them out?

Thanks for all the answers.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VinnyB:
    Do you think these are safe to smoke then or should I just throw them out?

Thanks for all the answers.
    Honestly, youd taste burnt hair or any foreign substance. There are 2 categories of fakes in my opinion; ok cigars that are given fake bands and boxes to pass off as cubans and absolute *** rolled in banana leaves. Hard to tell what you have especially since you arent a big cigar guy. However if they arent disgusting, probanly no harm.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a scale of 1-10, those are an 11 on the "definitely fake" scale. Try one though, I smoked about an inch of one of those that i received as a gift on the golf course from a supplier at work. It was probably the worst cigar I ever tasted but it didn't kill me. An inch was about all I could get through.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is funny.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    VinnyB:
    I just came back from the Dominican Republic and while I was there I bought a box of 25 Cohibas for $45 (haggled from $50)....We bought it from a stand outside the mall in Punta Cana.
    without looking at pictures, these two lines are enough for me to know they are fake.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    VinnyB:
    I just came back from the Dominican Republic and while I was there I bought a box of 25 Cohibas for $45 (haggled from $50)....We bought it from a stand outside the mall in Punta Cana.
    without looking at pictures, these two lines are enough for me to know they are fake.
    so true, I read $45 and didn't even need to look at the pictures. Funny thing is that is a rookie mistake, but even if the same box was sold for $200 after haggling from $300, a veteran could get burned.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    To answer your first question, yes, those are definitely fake. As for your second question about whether they're safe to smoke or not...I'd suggest cutting one open first just to check. Just make sure there's no fecal matter, human hair, fur, twigs, newspaper clippings, etc. If it's all tobacco, it's good to go. Not real Cohibas, but some fakes are still somewhat decent.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I bought a fiver of similar Cohiba fakes in the same region. Spent $15 (chewed down from $100 lol) for the 5 them and figured they were fake. The good news is the smoked great and on a cruise I felt like they were real.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Cohibas seem to be the most faked cigars with Monte close behind. I don't see to many others faked so I don't think I'd buy either of those two outside an authorized store while in a tourist spot.
  • Something I learned....cubans, in cuba, cost about $200 per box.  So someone selling them for any less, probably has fakes. 

Now, many factory workers in cuba steal a couple of cigars per day, and sell their own boxes for $50-$60.  Of course, people have to make money selling them to you, so if a box of a well-known brand is EVER under $200, I would be skeptical.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    supermoves:
    Something I learned....cubans, in cuba, cost about $200 per box.  So someone selling them for any less, probably has fakes. 

Now, many factory workers in cuba steal a couple of cigars per day, and sell their own boxes for $50-$60.  Of course, people have to make money selling them to you, so if a box of a well-known brand is EVER under $200, I would be skeptical.
    Not exactly accurate.
    There are cuban cigars available for well under $200 per box.
    Upmann, Partagas and RyJ can be found for less than $200/box from reputable dealers.
    Not to mention other cigars, like Jose Piedra.

So a blanket statement like that isn't entirely accurate.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1
    0patience:
    supermoves:
    Something I learned....cubans, in cuba, cost about $200 per box.  So someone selling them for any less, probably has fakes. 

Not exactly accurate.
    There are cuban cigars available for well under $200 per box.
    Upmann, Partagas and RyJ can be found for less than $200/box from reputable dealers.
    Not to mention other cigars, like Jose Piedra.

So a blanket statement like that isn't entirely accurate.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    These are super fake......
  • charlespecharlespe Posts: 5
    Answer to your question is, it's very fake. You can easily compare the original to this through internet
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True Cuban Cohibas the bands will always be perfect. Plus they are always triple capped. And the C in Cuba is wrong this is one of the biggest give aways on most fakes. I used to say just smoke em if you like them but after reading up on what goes into a lot of the really bad fakes like the ones you got I'd toss em and get some Padron's.
  • kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
    at 45- bucks a box i would have been a skeptic if they were selling them as dominican cohibas