Home Cigar 101

Starters?

I've been looking into buying cigars, I've smoked them once or twice long time ago. Which ones do I buy and what do I need to start a collection?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ccom and others have starter sets.
    Humi and samplers.
    Asking what cigars to buy is like asking what do you want for dinner.
    Each person has different tastes.
    Start out mild to medium and see what you like.
    Most cigar descriptions will tell you whether they are mild, medium or bold.
    And check your PM. (upper right corner Inbox link)
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Humi and samplers.
    pretty much this

Just to throw some random samplers at you, you might try:
    the ccom house blend sampler
    Man of War sampler
    la perla habana sampler
    baker's dozen
    nub sampler
    tour of nicagargua
    5vegas sampler
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Heavy, you will learn so much from this forum, these guys are great. May want to try some mild or medium samplers to start with. I bought a little humi first, got it seasoned, took me about a week, I eased into it. Then I bought a few samplers and a couple of boxes. CCOM usually delivers in 3 days so don't hurry, do it right. Just have fun with it.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Welcome Heavy, you will learn so much from this forum, these guys are great. May want to try some mild or medium samplers to start with. I bought a little humi first, got it seasoned, took me about a week, I eased into it. Then I bought a few samplers and a couple of boxes. CCOM usually delivers in 3 days so don't hurry, do it right. Just have fun with it.

This is a good idea here. Get a humi and get it seasoned properly before ordering a bunch of sticks. If you have a local B&M store you can stop there and check out a few sticks while the humidor is being seasoned and that might help you narrow in on what your preference is right now. They can also be a good source of info on what to try starting out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavyweightlehman:
    I've been looking into buying cigars, I've smoked them once or twice long time ago. Which ones do I buy and what do I need to start a collection?
    Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn and laugh. I learned more from these guys in my first three months here than I could have in a year on my own. And I still consider myself a newbie. I'm always learning new things. So I've been exactly where you are now. I'm still not that far ahead of you. I will give you what knowledge I think is most useful from my perspective.

First, I'm gonna give you some advice on storage. Boveda humidification packets are a newbie's best friend. Use plenty of them. They are simple. Buy them. Place them with cigars. DONE! They will help you overcome most difficulties associated with keeping proper humidity in a small desk top (starter) humidor. But you don't even need a humidor to get started. You could just put your cigars in with one or two Bovedas in a quart or gallon size ziplock bag and you're up and running. (There are LOTS of alternative humidor options. Tupperware for example.) Bovedas come in 70% and 65% and several other relative humidity (RH) ratings. I recommend 65%.

Keep your cigars stored away from direct sunlight and heat. You don't have to put them in the fridge. Just keep them in the air conditioning. Don't leave them in the car. And if you get any cigars delivered by UPS or USPS, wait at least a week to smoke 'em. They have been through a long journey and they probably got pretty hot along the way. Believe me they will taste better if the tobacco is allowed to settle down at room temperatures for a week. Two weeks would be better. If you want to smoke them right away you may be OK doing that but remember, if they are a little less than satisfying, give them another chance in a couple of weeks.

If you can and would like to spend a little more money than what you would spend on a small desktop, I can recommend the "Southport Large" humidor sold here on cigar.com. (ccom for short.) I've got five desktops and it's my favorite. It has a great cedar aroma. It may seem like it's too big for you at this point but, as anyone here will tell you, "go bigger". It will be full before you know it.

Oh, and another thing new guys need to know. Go slow when lighting and smoking your cigars. Don't just stick the flame into it and start puffing while it flares up and catches fire. You need to ease into it to avoid the bitter tastes that comes from scorching the tobacco. Look up youtube videos on "toasting" your cigars. Also go slow while smoking so you don't overheat the cherry and scorch the tobacco that way too.

From one newbie to another, Welcome! You'll love it here.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double post! Yeah baby!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    0patience:
    Humi and samplers.
    pretty much this

Just to throw some random samplers at you, you might try:
    the ccom house blend sampler
    Man of War sampler
    la perla habana sampler
    baker's dozen
    nub sampler
    tour of nicagargua
    5vegas sampler

What they said...samplers....samplers...and more samplers. And a well seasoned humidor. I will say the even a 50 count at this stage would be OK cause you are a gonna need more then one desktop.

My favorite med-large desktop is the 5 Vegas which if you watch you can pick up on "Sprint" (a very dangerous place) for a real good price. And like Mr Luken I have a glass top Southport humidor that is actually on my desk for daily rotation. The hard part will be to let any new cigar to rest, especially when you are just starting out.

And IMHO those standard analog hygrometers are a bad choice, I have never had 2 that sitting side by side got the same reading, even after a 24 our calibration. The best two I have found are the "Zederkoff" Digital Round and the "Caliber 4R". They come factory set and every one of them that I have, perfectly match in the same humidor after 24 hours.

Lastly but not leastly stay away from the green foam humidifiers and get the gel filled ones, you will be happier with them.

Word of caution there are a number of folks on here that "say" they write a news letter and will ask for your address, don't believe it. I am one of only two people on here who do a news letter. So, when you get the time PM me your address.
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Welcome Heavyweight.
    I started cigar smoking one month ago (ever since I lit up a Davidoff "Its a Boy!" tubo cigar that I handed out to friends and family to celebrate the birth of my son.
    Therefore, I consider myself also a noob and having committed the initial noob errors, I feel it my duty to pass on what I learned and wish I had done differently:
    1. "Which do I buy?" The general consensus is that you should start mild. Buying cigars online is better than a store because you have the strength, origin, and reviews for a cigar at your fingertips (freebies are also a plus). Much easier to decide. Also, don't buy cigars at stores that have them sitting in the wide open space on a shelf or counter. You have no idea how long they have been sitting there, drying out, and sucking up the smoke from everyone smoking around them. Also, chose 2-day shipping and avoid ordering over the weekend. They will sit in a UPS warehouse in 80-90 degree temperatures.
    2. "What do I need to start a collection?" This is a confusing question. Do you want to smoke them or collect them? If you want to collect them to look at them, this is what you'll need:
    1. Decide how big of a collection you want, and buy a humidor that will fit twice as many cigars. The Aristocrat M humidor is a good collection size. You can store all those pretty boxes in there also.
    2. Once you have the humidor, buy limited edition cigars and specialty cigars that are usually attractive and worth collecting.
    3. Keep your cigars at 70/70. 70 degrees F will also prevent tobacco beetle eggs from hatching.

If you want to smoke them, I will suggest the following:
    1. Get into the habit of buying samplers. I rushed to buy boxes of cigars and now I regret it because I am stuck with a whole bunch of the same cigars that I need to finish before I can experience others. Which leads me to the second tip...
    2. Dont buy more cigars than you have the space and time to care for. This means investing in a good sized humidor because that will affect the variety and quantity of cigars you can have. Start with the Boveda humidity packs. They are an excellent "set and forget" humidity solution for beginners. Tupperware is great for beginners too. Large and Cheap. Just dont forget to open the box every few days to air out the cigars because tupperware is air-tight. Also, I suggest keeping the humidors in your closet. Temperatures dont fluctuate much in there, no windows for sunlight, and the A/C keeps it nice and cool.
    3. Get a good Xikar cutter and a good SINGLE FLAME torch lighter. Dont get those multiple flame torch lighters that look and sound like the exhaust of an F-16. The point is to surgically light the circumference of the foot of the cigar in hand while you rotate - not make s'mores.

Lastly, I will finish with a tip on the cellophane wrapper debate. If you smoke your cigars within a year, it doesn't really matter what you do - just handle with care. But, I have found that a good compromise is cutting the flappy and folded part of the plastic as close to the foot of the cigar as you can "safely" get. The resulting hole improves airflow.

Good luck with your cigars and post more questions!! I just finished a 5 vegas nugget while writing this. Excellent cigar.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Welcome Heavyweight. I started cigar smoking one month ago (ever since I lit up a Davidoff "Its a Boy!" tubo cigar that I handed out to friends and family to celebrate the birth of my son. Therefore, I consider myself also a noob and having committed the initial noob errors, I feel it my duty to pass on what I learned and wish I had done differently: 1. "Which do I buy?" The general consensus is that you should start mild. Buying cigars online is better than a store because you have the strength, origin, and reviews for a cigar at your fingertips (freebies are also a plus). Much easier to decide. Also, don't buy cigars at stores that have them sitting in the wide open space on a shelf or counter. You have no idea how long they have been sitting there, drying out, and sucking up the smoke from everyone smoking around them. Also, chose 2-day shipping and avoid ordering over the weekend. They will sit in a UPS warehouse in 80-90 degree temperatures. 2. "What do I need to start a collection?" This is a confusing question. Do you want to smoke them or collect them? If you want to collect them to look at them, this is what you'll need: 1. Decide how big of a collection you want, and buy a humidor that will fit twice as many cigars. The Aristocrat M humidor is a good collection size. You can store all those pretty boxes in there also. 2. Once you have the humidor, buy limited edition cigars and specialty cigars that are usually attractive and worth collecting. 3. Keep your cigars at 70/70. 70 degrees F will also prevent tobacco beetle eggs from hatching. If you want to smoke them, I will suggest the following: 1. Get into the habit of buying samplers. I rushed to buy boxes of cigars and now I regret it because I am stuck with a whole bunch of the same cigars that I need to finish before I can experience others. Which leads me to the second tip... 2. Dont buy more cigars than you have the space and time to care for. This means investing in a good sized humidor because that will affect the variety and quantity of cigars you can have. Start with the Boveda humidity packs. They are an excellent "set and forget" humidity solution for beginners. Tupperware is great for beginners too. Large and Cheap. Just dont forget to open the box every few days to air out the cigars because tupperware is air-tight. Also, I suggest keeping the humidors in your closet. Temperatures dont fluctuate much in there, no windows for sunlight, and the A/C keeps it nice and cool. 3. Get a good Xikar cutter and a good SINGLE FLAME torch lighter. Dont get those multiple flame torch lighters that look and sound like the exhaust of an F-16. The point is to surgically light the circumference of the foot of the cigar in hand while you rotate - not make s'mores. Lastly, I will finish with a tip on the cellophane wrapper debate. If you smoke your cigars within a year, it doesn't really matter what you do - just handle with care. But, I have found that a good compromise is cutting the flappy and folded part of the plastic as close to the foot of the cigar as you can "safely" get. The resulting hole improves airflow. Good luck with your cigars and post more questions!! I just finished a 5 vegas nugget while writing this. Excellent cigar.

AshMe, noob??? 1 month ago!!! I've been in this school for 3 years and you are way ahead of me brother, lol. And congrat's on your son too.
  • Thank you guys so much!! Everything was really useful! What are good mild cigars?
    Heavyweightlehman:
    Thank you guys so much!! Everything was really useful! What are good mild cigars?
    5 vegas classic (is this mild? it seems mild to me)
    Man o war virtue
    5 vegas gold
    Oliva Connecticut Reserve
    Romeo y Julieta 1875
    3x3 tubos by davidoff (worth it)
    Perdomo Lot23
    Avo classic
    Ashton Classic
    Perdomo Champagne
    Oliva G Cameroon(medium bodied)
    Cain Daytona(medium bodied)

If you feel like milds just aren't enough for you after smoking them, then move onto medium. When I first started I got more flavor out of medium bodied cigars than I did out of mild bodied cigars.
    Heavyweightlehman:
    Thank you guys so much!! Everything was really useful! What are good mild cigars?
    You're going to need to figure that out for yourself my friend. Anyone who's anyone will tell you that what tastes good for one person, will not taste so good for another. Use this opportunity to be bold and daring and explore! And dont worry so much about price determining whether a brand is good or not. I always like to say, "Any brand is a good brand until you've tried it." So, buy a sampler or two in the mild category and that should point you in the right direction. I like samplers that have two of each cigar because you can always encounter a dud in an otherwise good cigar and you shouldn't let that turn you off a particular brand - the roller coulda been having a bad day. If I can give a suggestion, I would say to try the All-Star Connecticut Collection right here on CCOM. Its a good mild collection with reputable brands and it will get you going in the right direction. Plus its small enough to allow you to upgrade to level 3 or 4 cigars if you want more flavor and kick. Lastly, take it slow! Dont light your first few cigars if you dont have at least an hour of free time. It will spoil the first date.
  • mb92755mb92755 Posts: 34
    I'm still relatively new and looking for what I like. One thing I recommend is to try as many as your budget allows and keep track of them. I use an app on my iphone and save my wrappers. I have only found one cigar that I will never buy again. I've had so many, though that I have to keep referring to my list to remember the name. It was in my first, mild, sampler a couple of months ago. Happy smoking and congratulations on the birth of your son.
  • So I'm new to the cigar world and my funds are limited but I like maduros and Sumatras. What are some good inexpensive maduros and sumatras that I might like
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    mb92755:
    I'm still relatively new and looking for what I like. One thing I recommend is to try as many as your budget allows and keep track of them. I use an app on my iphone and save my wrappers. I have only found one cigar that I will never buy again. I've had so many, though that I have to keep referring to my list to remember the name. It was in my first, mild, sampler a couple of months ago. Happy smoking and congratulations on the birth of your son.
    i will have to disagree with starting off with budget smokes...this being because there are a few good ones but going through a ton of dog rockets can make you not want to continue smoking. I'd start mid grade and go budget every now and again so you don't get tired of being let down. There are plenty of enjoyable smokes in the mid price range to keep you busy till you find what you really like. A mistake is being scared of the price at first since it really cuts out some fantastic cigars
    Money can't buy taste
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Best advice for starting....

Call a rep and start a relationship, they give great advice and recommendations.
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    Best advice for starting....

Call a rep and start a relationship, they give great advice and recommendations.
    This ^^^^ something I haven't done yet. They'll be able to help you tremendously
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    You're getting good advice so I won't ditto everything except this thought....anyone starting out needs to understand that your tastes WILL change as you continue down this hobby. You will graduate from hamburger to top sirloin and then into Rib Eye and Chateaubriand. Starting with mild to medium cigars is excellent advice and trying different size vitolas will let you taste different parts of the cigar...example: Lanceros will let you taste more of the wrapper...Robustos and Churchills will let you taste more of the filler and binder. The best part of this journey is that you are going to come across cigars that are so good you're gonna think you should have started this from the crib...some cigars are so amazing that you want to smoke one right after the other....and then there are the dog rockets which you'll know when you smoke them. Give your cigars a chance to marinate/rest as some cigars tend to smoke bitter if you smoke them too soon and buying from a good B&M that keeps their stock at a 65 - 69 RH level will give you a leg up on getting a cigar that has been stored correctly.