Home Ratings & Reviews

Vive el Luchador!

Sam Leccia Luchador – El Guapo

I hate to say it but I’m a sucker for gimmicks or flashy packaging which has brought me to grief lately; we’re not going to talk about the Gurkhas taking up space in the humi. This was a pure impulse buy based on the band and the name and needing to bump my order over the free shipping mark. I’m glad I did though; this was a great smoke and inspired me to write my first review.

It’s been windy over here so I’ve been sticking to familiar stuff I know. It’s hard to sit down to try a new smoke when you’ve got a 15-20mph wind kicking up. Tonight it calmed down to a steady 3-5mph so I grabbed this one from my box because I was definitely curious. A few of the other guys had the same idea and were already settling in. The band sparked some comments and a couple of the “aficionados” perked up at the mention of Sam Leccia.

My first impression out of the cello was mixed. It seemed well put together but really solid (tight) and had a large vein running the whole length. I’ve had bad luck lately with tight cigars and poor draws, not to mention uneven burning caused by the wind and the vein had me worried on that front; at this point I was committed though and proceeded.

I clipped the end and was greeted with a great aroma, toasting it started me watering at the mouth. The first puff was a surprisingly easy draw and full of strong woody spiciness that continued for the first couple inches. It held the ash to about the 2 inch mark, which surprised me because I’m a bit of an animated talker and we did have a decent breeze blowing. It had a nice even burn all the way to the end and kept a smooth draw.

Right around the time the ash fell off I got brave and tried a retro-hale. It blew me away. It reminded me of tending a BBQ smoker, that flavor/aroma you get when you open the smoker to tend the fire or check the meat; a bit of sweet and spicy with a strong hickory over tone.

After that it mellowed and sweetened quite a bit and I was pretty disappointed. It was still a good smoke but the sweetness really came through and the wood and spice were a little overshadowed. I almost gave it up but, well, no one can ever accuse me of being a quitter.

I stuck it out and was rewarded at the end with a reprise of the woody spice from the beginning, this time with a sweetness that really made me wish I had another inch or two by the finish.

This is one is well named. It comes on strong at the beginning, like a luchador entering the ring with music and posturing and flair. The middle is the wrestlers circling each other, feinting and grappling, looking for the opening; a bit of drama and suspense. The end is the finale, the signature move, followed by the pin and the bell and the cheering fans. If you haven't already, give this one a try.

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Nice review, keep them coming. Was the smokiness similar to AJ Spectre, KFC, or the Leccia Black?
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I do think this stick has potential but feel like it really needs a good nap as in 2yrs...the flavor is nice but the spice can be overwhelming and mute the undertones of what you really want. Not saying anything bad but feel like it does need rest/age depending on who you talk to
    Money can't buy taste
  • ArmyS1GuyArmyS1Guy Posts: 34
    allsmokedup:
    Nice review, keep them coming. Was the smokiness similar to AJ Spectre, KFC, or the Leccia Black?
    Couldn't say. Never tried any of them.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent review, makes me very happy that I have five resting in the humi
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Great review... keep 'em coming!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see these are on sale now too! Sounds like it's worth a try.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Definitely worth a try. Great stick!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • ArmyS1GuyArmyS1Guy Posts: 34
    Gray4lines:
    Nice! Had to jump on that.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had one coming to the boat a few weeks ago. I must say I fell in love with it. But I'm a big fan of spicey cigars. This was right up my alley. Hope to see them on the sprint sale sometime.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up a box on the devil site for around $3 a stick. Plan on letting them rest for a year while I smoke some singles I have. I really like them and think they will be better with some rest
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I was really impressed with this stick, definitely on my radar for more!