Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    Was just never my cup of tea. I remember using it on a baitcaster and it would totally mess up my cast because of the offsetting weight.
    sort of the same reason why I want a spinner setup for dropshot
    I drop shot in a spin rig, though i use a lighter pole. Works well in Millerton Lake.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    Was just never my cup of tea. I remember using it on a baitcaster and it would totally mess up my cast because of the offsetting weight.
    sort of the same reason why I want a spinner setup for dropshot
    No backing here either. The rage in Tn is the "Alabama rig" 5 swim baits on one umbrella rig. 60lb braid on a 7'7 flipping stick. If you get a bite hang on. The lake near my house is putting up stupid big numbers http://www.nooga.com/mobile/#160476/bass-anglers-shatter-tournament-record/
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you look at your states regs before using an a-rig. MO only allows 3 vs the 5

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this bad boy today
    photo EED18E50-orig.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Niiiiice. Now what are you putting it on?

I have a 6'8" shimano drop shot rod
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Got this bad boy today
    photo EED18E50-orig.jpg
    nice! I can't throw a spinning reel anymore though :( it just flies up high and falls not far away.
    Money can't buy taste
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Going to spend a week in the mountains of Colorado starting this weekend. Starting on the headwaters of the Rio Grande for a few days then headed up to the Gunnison area to fish the Gunnison and some higher elevation creeks and beaver ponds for the rest of the week. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. This is going to be the longest 4 day work week in history!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Going to Charleston, SC in August and thinking of doing some cast-fishing. Anyone have any experience with it?
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    had a good night at the local watering hole:

photo 41AB8229-C42D-4C26-AA91-98F44251DDBF_zpscqp5hqvs.jpg

photo 17924773-AE9D-45FA-BEE5-C672E21626B1_zpsgwel5gks.jpg
    awesome
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been tieing flys and fly fishing for 40 years. Hung up all my spining rods and now go after everything with fly rods. I use a fishing kayak on lakes and I wade streams and rivers here in the mountains of NC. Last time I fished a lake in Tenn I caught and released 29 trout including a 18 inch brown. Went back the next day and used the same set up and got skunked. Smoked a good cigar though.
    Fantastic. Where is this watering hole? Doc just cleared me to fish. Woo hoo!!!

Wilbur lake that is between Watauga Dam and Wilbur Dam on Watauga Lake Tenn. Loaded with trout I use a sit on top kayak.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    WAY FAR AWAY from you living all the way in god's country......Bee Tree park out in Oakville. Good summer fishing spot if that place would stay open and allow me to night fish, I am convinced i would kill it there. I always go there around 730-8 during the summer and by 815 i start catching shorts and by the time i am leaving i catch several 3+ lb fish. I caught the 4lb around 9 right as it was getting dark and that is the pattern every damn time......the damn park ranger always comes and tells me it is time to go.

pulled several 5+ from there all around the 9pm time frame in the july/august time frame.
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Filled the cooler in 5 hours today. 18 cohoe salmon.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brianak:
    Filled the cooler in 5 hours today. 18 cohoe salmon.
    When I was a kid, my Dad was stationed at Ft. Richardson. God I miss wild salmon and king crab!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    brianetz1:
    matkn293:
    WAY FAR AWAY from you living all the way in god's country......Bee Tree park out in Oakville. Good summer fishing spot if that place would stay open and allow me to night fish, I am convinced i would kill it there. I always go there around 730-8 during the summer and by 815 i start catching shorts and by the time i am leaving i catch several 3+ lb fish. I caught the 4lb around 9 right as it was getting dark and that is the pattern every damn time......the damn park ranger always comes and tells me it is time to go.

pulled several 5+ from there all around the 9pm time frame in the july/august time frame.
    Very nice!! Hell that's like southern IL to me.

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I went fishin' in a really pretty valley.
    There was still a little snow on some of the peaks.
    Willy Wonka is putting something funny in his candy in Colorado these days.
    Caught some big ugly fish.
    Stopped and had a baby face.
    Caught some small pretty fish.
    Jrank some beers.
    Caught the world's biggest brook trout.
    Then we set some shizza on fire.
    And caught some brown trout too
    Then we came home. The end.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Holy cap do I miss trout fishing. Originally from wyoming, trout country.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Going to Charleston, SC in August and thinking of doing some cast-fishing. Anyone have any experience with it?
    umm..hit me up. I'm in charleston..pm to you
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The bass tournament hits Philly baby!! Today was the practice rounds sta and sun are the tournament rounds! I'm there!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    The bass tournament hits Philly baby!! Today was the practice rounds sta and sun are the tournament rounds! I'm there!!
    good stuff Lee
    Just entered the big bass bash at lake of the ozarks October 4&5 th. Already getting excited about this.

Out fishing for silver salmon in Seward.
    Spent the day in my fishing kayak on a large lake in these parts called Lake James.i took my 7 weight flyrod thought i would get into some smallmouth or large carp.I ended up putting 6x tippet and fishing dry flys for bluegills. There was a minor hatch coming off, mayflys that were gray about size 16. Caught a bunch, let them go, and smoked a AJ freshrolled toro. Life is good.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brianak:
    Out fishing for silver salmon in Seward.
    Resurrection Bay?
    We used to run tender in Prince William Sound.
    Love that area.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Yes this was in Resurrection bay. The weather was too bad to get out of the bay for halibut. 15-20 feet swells. We stayed inside trolling for silvers.
    This is always the best fishing trip of the year. It marks the transition to hunting season. Going out for moose next Monday morning.
    Caught this trout but a bear took it away from me. image
    i'm funing you fishermen. It's bear mask I just finished. The right eye is the spirit of the bear.