Home Ratings & Reviews

My Romeo y Julieta Viejo review.

I was never a fan of the Romeo y Julieta line. The 1875 is simply too bland for me and for the price, really doesn't seem logical.  However, I was able to smoke a new Romeo y Julieta Viejo and that cigar is fantastic.  I was expecting it to be slightly more robust than the 1875, simply due to its box-pressed shape, but nothing more.  Boy, was I wrong.  The smoke itself is so thick, rich, and creamy that my mouth is beginning to water just thinking about it.  The initial taste was smooth and although my experience with box-pressed cigars allows me to assume a tight draw, this cigar had a very easy pull.  What turned me around was the complexity Viejo has.  Inch by inch different nuances emerged: slight hints of cashews or almonds, then rich, hearty earthy flavors were drawn out and were followed by a very slight sweetness noticable in the back of my throat.  I still can't get over how creamy the cigar is and how much flavor it has.  I promised myself I would never smoke another Romeo y Julieta cigar ever again...consider that a promise broken.  Guys and gals, please try it and let me know if you feel the same! 

Comments

• timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

nice review, Pappy.  You sound familiar... do you frequent any other forums?  Have I ever helped you on the phone or over email before?

If you like the Romeo y Julieta Viejo, your going to love the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet....

• ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Thanks Pappy for the nice review. I, like you was never a fan of the Romeo y Julieta line, but the flavors you describe sounds like something I would enjoy. I will have to give this one a try.
  • TccargillTccargill Posts: 23
    Ive got 2 viejo's in my humidor from a sampler that I recently bought that I was planning on saving as a filler cigar when I didnt have enough time to really enjoy a good cigar.  Im not a big Romeo y Julieta fan either but I think ill try one tonight.  Thanks for the good review.
  • TccargillTccargill Posts: 23
    Well I smoked a Viejo last night and I was suprised.  It actually made me feel relaxed.  It was very mellow in the begining but towards the end my taste buds were spinning.  I consider myself an amature when it comes to palate, but there were a few noticable flavors.  The last few inches were earthy but smooth.  Cool draws the whole way through.  I finally had to get rid of the first ash at about an inch and a half for fear of it landing on my dog.  Being a maduro man I was very impressed with the mild body and will definitly put some in the humidor.  I loved it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Good review. I tried my first R&J Viejo, a Robusto to be specific, a week ago and I was in love from the first few draws down to the band where the cigar extinguished itself. This was my first sampling of a blend from Romeo y Julieta, so I cannot comment on whether it is better than any of the others or not, but suffice to say I will have at least one of these in my humidor at all times. I really enjoyed this cigar, I found the flavors to be very pleasant, complex without being over-bearing and the finish was just right, it hung around long enough but didn't linger past its welcome. The cigar paired nicely with the Ale I was drinking that night, the flavors really complimented one another. The one thing that I would change about this cigar is the draw, I found it to be a bit tight for my liking but nothing impossible to smoke by any means, and it could very well have been that single cigar for all I know. The appearance is beautiful, a dark, oily wrapper in an eye-catching box pressed shape, the burn was good and consistent the whole way through with the ash a tight white that hung on well past 2 inches. Wow, I didn't expect to be writing my own review of this cigar, but here I am with all that typing done.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but I just had a R&J Viejo and WOW, that was a 10! I had it on my 2.5 hour drive from the parents house cause where else are you going to smoke in MN.. By the end of the drive I was so relaxed I was giddy. It started out good but after the first inch it totally changed flavors to a great cigar. By the end (which was very much the end) I was wishing I had another few inches. Anybody else try one recently?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Ummm.. Goldy, glad you enjoyed the cigar, it is a good one. But, proof read your posts or be prepared to accept the responses. And who wouldn't like a few extra ?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Goldy:
    Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but I just had a R&J Viejo and WOW, that was a 10! I had it on my 2.5 hour drive from the parents house cause where else are you going to smoke in MN.. By the end of the drive I was so relaxed I was giddy. It started out good but after the first inch it totally changed flavors to a great cigar. By the end (which was very much the end) I was wishing I had another few inches. Anybody else try one recently?
    Goldy, the Swedes make a product that I think is right up your alley, so to speak.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Oh you know it has to be thrown out there ..........THATS WHAT SHE SAID !!!!!!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Well I suppose I had that coming.
  • SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    A very good cigar indeed! I had the toro size stack a while back as it was part of a sampler I aquired. I want more of these in my humi that's for sure!