Home Pipes

Rehydrating dry tobacco

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Any suggestions? Just looking through my stash and seeing some rather dry Bags.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few tins get a little dry... Humi pillow in the tin for a few days works. Or, if in bags, I just put a humi pillow in a large bag and then throw the bags of tobacco slightly open in the big bag. Gentle way to bring em back. Some spray directly with distiller water or lay a damp paper towel out over the tobacco. Pipe tobacco comes back pretty quick in my experience. I actually have had very few dry out at all.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think they are in cheap bags, so I am going to buy some nicer ziplocks. I did a little inventory of all the crap I have, too much man. I will try a few different ways and report my findings.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    The best way I have found is the damp paper towel, or a damp sponge in the middle on a sheet pan with a towel over the top of it. The humi pillow would work but I would not let it touch the tobacco directly. I have had them leek from time to time and that mess would not be good.

I would also suggest skipping the zip lock bags. Yes, they will work even for mid-range storage (i.e., up to 18 months). But they always seem to go bad. Your best bet is to buy Mason type jars and store in them. They will cost a little more but will last forever, unless you are adding tobacco will deep into a bottle of single malt. That never ends well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Exactly what J.S said, get Mason jars, they will save you a ton of time and aggravation when it comes to tobacco drying out. As for revitalizing the dry tobacco, throw it in a mixing bowl, spritz it with distilled water and mix well, or do the paper towel trick as previously stated; both options wills work.
    I have way too many mason jars as it stands, this is for all the leftovers and stuff I toss in my truck.
    catfishbluezz:
    I have way too many mason jars as it stands, this is for all the leftovers and stuff I toss in my truck.
    I have a fvck-ton of jars too... pipe tobacco takes up so much room!! I honestly can't buy anymore for a while, lol! Especially given how long it takes me to finish a tin... I bet I have like 30 blends opened (and jarred) but I have only finished a complete tin once or twice... ever... in going on 2 years of piping.
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    I have a fvck-ton of jars too... pipe tobacco takes up so much room!! I honestly can't buy anymore for a while, lol! Especially given how long it takes me to finish a tin... I bet I have like 30 blends opened (and jarred) but I have only finished a complete tin once or twice... ever... in going on 2 years of piping.
    I know man... And I got 10 tins at the show, and probably a ton more coming... I am going to fire up some Tsuge samples tonight, very excited, as the look of the tobacco was outstanding.
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    I know man... And I got 10 tins at the show, and probably a ton more coming... I am going to fire up some Tsuge samples tonight, very excited, as the look of the tobacco was outstanding.
    Tsuge is doing tobacco now? I liked some of their older pipe stlyes. Newer trashcan pipes dont really do it for me.
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    Tsuge is doing tobacco now? I liked some of their older pipe stlyes. Newer trashcan pipes dont really do it for me.
    yeah, they have 8 blends with DE. The tobacco itself looked unreal. I have one of the new trash and on the way. I was not impressed until I saw it. The bottom part is a chamber for tobacco that acts as a filter as well. Several hard core pipers there were all freaking out about it and smoking them the whole show. They had several makers there under their wing. Excellent work across the board. I need to get a real nice briar next.
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    yeah, they have 8 blends with DE. The tobacco itself looked unreal. I have one of the new trash and on the way. I was not impressed until I saw it. The bottom part is a chamber for tobacco that acts as a filter as well. Several hard core pipers there were all freaking out about it and smoking them the whole show. They had several makers there under their wing. Excellent work across the board. I need to get a real nice briar next.
    Take a look at Radice for a nice briar. I have 5!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Ya know, I found those little tin coins with clay inside work really well when popped into the bag of dry tobacco to juice it back up.

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Ya know, I found those little tin coins with clay inside work really well when popped into the bag of dry tobacco to juice it back up.

Aj
    Oh yeah, I have seen those. They look like little buttons.