Home Cigar 101

Cameroon in the news.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the country of Cameroon in the news lately I began thinking of one of my favorite wrappers and questions began to flow. Since I have read in promotions for certain cigars that they use “true African Cameroon” leaf in their wrappers I assumed that at least some Cameroon wrappers are being grown elsewhere. So I've been googling to find out where else they are grown. I read that they are also grown in Ecuador and the Dominican Republic. And perhaps there are cameroon wrappers being grown in other areas. Are the wrappers grown outside of cameroon inferior to cameroon wrappers grown in Cameroon? I know that lots of wrapper types are produced in ecuador and this is not kept secret in any way. The manufacturers seem to be up front about whether a wrapper is, for example, an Ecuadorian connecticut. Maybe that's because connecticut wrappers (and other wrappers) turned out to be a great success in Ecuador. So what about the cameroon wrappers not grown in Cameroon? Any of you know how that's working out? If they are still using slogans like “true African Cameroon wrapper” could it be that this type wrapper grown outside of West Africa are a little worse in quality. Does anybody know? And which cigars are using non-Cameroon grown cameroon wrappers? Or is that a big secret?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years, the problems in Africa have caused concern over Cameroon tobacco for decades.
    In the 90s, Rick Meerapfel [spelling might not be quite right] was instrumental in getting cameroon wrappers on the map.
    Getting cameroon tobacco in those days could amount to a life or death venture, literally.
    Because of the money draw of tobacco, I don't see much of an issue of it remaining in production.
    As for cameroon tobacco grown elsewhere, I'm not sure how it could be considered still cameroon tobacco. But I don't know.
    I've never run into any situations where they stated that the cameroon tobacco was grown somewhere else.
    Interesting questions.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are interesting questions... I would think that African-grown Cameroon is the only Cameroon... kinda like growing a Mexican San Andreas somewhere else! I will try and find some info...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting blog post from Alex on the subject. Linky
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Here's an interesting blog post from Alex on the subject. Linky
    Nice info
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    These are interesting questions... I would think that African-grown Cameroon is the only Cameroon... kinda like growing a Mexican San Andreas somewhere else! I will try and find some info...
    Just wait till you see Nicaraguan San Andreas... You didn't hear it here, but it will be good ;)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:
    Just wait till you see Nicaraguan San Andreas... You didn't hear it here, but it will be good ;)
    Lol! Welp, there goes my theory. Cant wait then!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:
    Lol! Welp, there goes my theory. Cant wait then!
    i can't remember who is growing it, but I know a blender who will be using it. From what I have heard, same flavors as Mexico, but much richer. Drooooooool.....
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    So Cameroon is the same as Sumatra seeds? I know Ecuador grows Sumatra maybe they also grow "Cameroon" wrapper