Home Non Cigar Related

Replacement for XP?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
My laptop (which is serving as my desktop) is running Windows XP Pro. Since I've been politely informed that Microsuck isn't going to support it any longer I'm looking into a replacement OS. I don't do a lot of heavy computer stuff on it , just basic surfing and home use. Does anyone have a favorite operating system they'd recommend? If so, what do you like about yours? What are it's weak points?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I highly recommend Windows 7. Almost as stable as XP (in my experience), same functions, familiar format. I don't really like Windows 8 to be honest. The interface makes me feel like I'm just using a giant Windows phone. If I'm going to use a tablet interface, I'd rather use Android.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If you can get windows 7, then that's your best bet. The interface (how it looks) is completely different on windows 8. It was designed for use in tablets and it takes some getting used too. I switched from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro at my office and it has worked pretty well.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    OS X

Once you go Mac
    You never go back.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    OS X

Once you go Mac
    You never go back.
    Agree, but if not, go with Windows 7. Have heard nothing good about Windows 8 or whatever they call it
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    Chemnitz:
    OS X

Once you go Mac
    You never go back.
    Agree, but if not, go with Windows 7. Have heard nothing good about Windows 8 or whatever they call it
    Never liked Macs myself, but if you're not a big computer (and want to pay the Apple tax) guy they're a good way to go, they pretty much come set up the way you'll use it, which is why I bought an iPhone instead of an android. But if you're staying with windows go with 7. It was more efficient than XP, but otherwise pretty similar. I have 8.1 on my laptop and XP on my desktop and don't have any problems moving between the two. I don't hate 8.1 like I did the first release of 8 I'd still rather have 7. The funny thing about 8.1, to me, is that while they brought back the desktop they really reverted to the way pre-95 windows was used. They took away the utility of the start menu so everything you want to access has to be in a folder on the desktop. Unless I still haven't learned to use it most efficiently, which is entirely likely. But their "tile" system and apps they introduced in 8 suck so the desktop is the only way to go.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Windows 7, definitely. I'm running it on a laptop and it works great. The other computers have 8.1 and I absolutely despise it. It's totally gone over to a "tablet" style interface and doing things as simple as turning it off requires four steps.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Agreed!! Windows 7 is running all my apps that XP was running!!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks to all of you who have responded. You've made my decision an easy one and I thank you all for that. They say it takes a village to raise a child but in this case it took a brotherhood of love to guide an old man in his software quest. You guys are the greatest. Thank you... Thank you sincerely....
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been running Windows 7, no problems except it's Windows, lol. Usually don't upgrade until I have to, kicking and screaming all they way. I miss DOS and the days when you told the computer what to do instead of it telling you.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone I know that has had anything at all to do with W8 is hoping that MS comes out with a new operating system before they stop backing up W7. W7 is far superior (IMHO) then W8, and is a great replacement for XP.
    Before I commit fully to WIN7 I've done a little more research and I've become curious about Linux. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm particularly curious about the Ubuntu distribution but will welcome any input regarding any of the distributions.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Before I commit fully to WIN7 I've done a little more research and I've become curious about Linux. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm particularly curious about the Ubuntu distribution but will welcome any input regarding any of the distributions.
    Ive used ubuntu. It was fine... I went back to windows. Coming from xp, i'd go windows. Some computer guys may disagree. Not many linux users out there except for the tech guys (I think)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    As I stated to you about Linux, my advice if you want to experiment with Linux is to get a new PC/laptop with Windows 7 and make your old laptop a dual boot system and load Linux and have a dual operating system.
    That way, you will maintain your old laptop system and have Linux on it to experiment with.

After you have had time to deal with Linux, then you will be able to decide if you want to use it solely on your laptop.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    The only people I know who use Linux are hardcore programmers. It's really flexible, the flipside is that you really have to know what you're doing to make it worthwhile and I think sometimes to get normal programs to run on it. It's open source so you can find tons of programs written for it to do some neat stuff. I have absolutely no interest in programming but it's kinda neat to see what the super nerds can do. :)
    perkinke:
    jlmarta:
    The only people I know who use Linux are hardcore programmers. It's really flexible, the flipside is that you really have to know what you're doing to make it worthwhile and I think sometimes to get normal programs to run on it. It's open source so you can find tons of programs written for it to do some neat stuff. I have absolutely no interest in programming but it's kinda neat to see what the super nerds can do. :)

Well, I'm the exact opposite of a super nerd but I think it's interesting enough that I may try it for a while. If nothing else I'd love to be able to tell Microsuck to stuff it.....

Thanks for the input, my friend....
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent a good deal of time on different Linux builds and they have come a long ways. People don't use them because it doesn't come pre loaded on a system and it is free open source software. Their GUI have a lot of similarities to windows now a days.

If you ware going to go linux then i suggest either https://www.centos.org/ or http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    avengethis:
    I have spent a good deal of time on different Linux builds and they have come a long ways. People don't use them because it doesn't come pre loaded on a system and it is free open source software. Their GUI have a lot of similarities to windows now a days.

If you ware going to go linux then i suggest either https://www.centos.org/ or http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Thanks very much, Brad. I've looked at Ubuntu but not at Centos. I'll try to check it out today or tomorrow. Have a great day, my friend.....
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Get off XP ASAP! It's like a compound with papier-mache walls and an iron door. Someone is going to get in eventually...
    Ubuntu is a good suggestion to start in Linux. If your laptop is a bit older, newer versions of Ubuntu might not run as well. If so, try Xubuntu, it're more lightweight than Ubuntu: http://xubuntu.org/
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're talking about Linux for Windows user, try Mint. (linuxmint.org) It looks and works like XP. The XFCE version runs well on old hardware. Has all sorts of drivers.

Last Christmas, I bought Bearswatter a new Windows 8.1 laptop. To this day, we can't get her printer to work. Every time she turns it on, she has to log on. Still hasn't figured out how to get her emails. Hates it.

Around the same time, I converted my old XP laptop to Mint. Automagically found and configured her printer without me even asking it to, just cause it found the thing on the network. I use it all the time in the garage. When you see me post in the evenings, it's prolly from that machine right there. Humble little Toshiba about 12 years old.

Works.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint was the other one I was trying to think of that has had really good success too.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Just go with windows 8.1 I have it on all my machines now and since I turned off the start screen and have it boot to a regular desktop it works great even on older pcs. It uses resources better than anything else I used in the past.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    If we're talking about Linux for Windows user, try Mint. (linuxmint.org) It looks and works like XP. The XFCE version runs well on old hardware. Has all sorts of drivers.

Last Christmas, I bought Bearswatter a new Windows 8.1 laptop. To this day, we can't get her printer to work. Every time she turns it on, she has to log on. Still hasn't figured out how to get her emails. Hates it.

Around the same time, I converted my old XP laptop to Mint. Automagically found and configured her printer without me even asking it to, just cause it found the thing on the network. I use it all the time in the garage. When you see me post in the evenings, it's prolly from that machine right there. Humble little Toshiba about 12 years old.

Works.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/fl/auto-logon-windows-8.htm
    HooWEEEEE! You ain't gonna believe this. I just spent two and a half hours on the phone with AT&T technical support. It turns out that I've been paying for the basic bandwidth of 768 Kbps but I've only been getting about a third of that speed.

During the time I was on the phone, they made corrections from their end twice. We ran a speed test after each adjustment they made but I was still getting 260 Kbps. Finally, she asked me if I was interested in an upgrade to my service. She said their equipment that provides my access is capable of 1.5 Mbps. And for a mere $8 per month extra I could have all of that. Actually, what I'm supposed to end up with is 1.125 Mbps.

So they're going to make whatever changes they make to upgrade the service and I'm supposed to run another speed test tomorrow afternoon to confirm that I'm getting it.

Can you believe that?? I think it's great and for only a piddling $8/mo., too. I've got you guys to thank for pushing me into pursuing this. I didn't know such a thing was possible. I've been living with this slow bandwidth for a few years and just thought it was normal.

Thanks again to Ryan, Tony, and everyone else who provided input on this. I'm a happy camper.....