Home Non Cigar Related

More moves to TN.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
UN-announced and with out warning.

Part of TN Governor Haslam's letter to President Obama.

"It is unacceptable that we became aware via a posting on the HHS website that 760 unaccompanied children have been released by the Office of Refugee Resettlement to sponsors in Tennessee without my administration’s knowledge. Not only was our state not informed prior to any of the children being brought here, I still have not been contacted and have no information about these individuals or their sponsors other than what was posted on the HHS website and subsequently reported by media."

Must be more of the economic advantages in TN.

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a joke? Does Obama directly oversee the placement of refugees? This Governor couldn't find a real issue to complain to the President about? If he actually cared about this issue, wouldn't this letter go to the head of the ORR? Oh yeah, then it wouldn't be news because an angry letter to Eskinder Negash doesn't get headlines.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    They're not even refugees. They're illegals according to the news reports.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    The President controls everything Tony...
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    The President controls everything Tony...
    I know, I know. This year when Title I funds aren't being spent the way I want at school, I'm also going to complain to Obama, not my Superintendent. With any luck, my letter will get some play on Foxnews ;)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony's back! :)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Is this a joke? Does Obama directly oversee the placement of refugees? This Governor couldn't find a real issue to complain to the President about? If he actually cared about this issue, wouldn't this letter go to the head of the ORR? Oh yeah, then it wouldn't be news because an angry letter to Eskinder Negash doesn't get headlines.
    You didn't know? Where you bin?

Don't you remember the other week when Obama shot down that Maylasian air liner? Then he started lobbing missiles from Gaza into Israel, so he could cross the border and start blowing away Arabs? I could go on and on, and on, and on about the things he's been up to.

Sheesh, try to keep up.

BTW, Haslam may simply be trying to keep everyone from focusing on his recent trials. That is, day in court. The guy's not exactly "above board".
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did these children get here in the first place?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    How did these children get here in the first place?
    That's actually quite an interesting question. Recently the hired-gun media has claimed that it was Obama opening up the border, inviting them in, etc. A little research and we find that during the Bush administration there was legislation changing the status of those coming from countries other than Mexico arriving at our southern border which changed the rules that could apply to how these people were treated. The influx from Central American countries has been increasing ever since, especially escalating as the political and economic situations in countries such as Honduras became worse and worse.

Know anyone who's done missionary work down there? I do. They describe a literal hell on earth where gangs control nearly everything. I think it was Honduras where it is reported that when a family refused to allow their children to work for the gangs, the gangs reciprocated by taking a 5 year old, cutting her into pieces, and scattering the pieces up and down the street where the parents lived.

Of course, along with these atrocities, there are also all kinds of Chinese, Arab, and others of all ages crossing, including the members of the very gangs that some are fleeing. It is a complex problem that's been growing for the past 10 - 15 years.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    In the last five years, I have learned three essential lessons:

1) The word "His" is spelled with a capital "H"
    2) It's never His fault
    3) It's always Bush's fault.

Any less than strict observance of all three rules is blatant racism.

This much we can guess: When parents send their children away on a perilous journey to a strange land, then things must be desperate at home. Compassion ought to trump politics here.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Compassion ought to trump politics here.

Agreed.

And, Obama certainly shares the blame.

And, what Bush did (according to an NPR interview I heard the other day, for what it's worth) was to try to do the right thing, for the right reason. Meaning, this situation is not "Bush's fault". It just is what it is, tragedy mixed with politics mixed with evil.

The instability and insanity in our neighboring countries around the Caribbean is worrisome. What can be done about it? I don't know.

For the record, my feelings about the "Blame Bush" and "Blame Obama" phenomenon are about the same. Just a bunch of crap to keep everyone from thinking about what's really going on. They each had their problems, and positive attributes, and I've always thought each of them truly believed that they were doing what's best for all of us at any given time. No one man, not even the President of the USA can solve, create, or be responsible for every problem on earth.

Although those who would have us believe it to be so are legion.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew it would end up Bush's fault when I posted it.

Can you imagine the xxxxxxx media's response if the states getting these kids refused to accept them? Of course it depends on what state (like Calalafornia) is involved. Do you think that just maybe that was part of the reason for the underhanded method used?

Can you just imagine how bad the xxxxxxx press would have ripped Arizona, which appears to be suffering the brunt of this maneuver, if they turned back the first midnight buses?

Should we maybe reconsider stopping the billions in aid we waste on corrupt governments if they are just going to send their problems here, and instead use that money for compassion here?

Compassion is a wonderful thing. How about some compassion for our own children first.

The bad feelings and anger being produced by this kind of stunt is already reaching a boiling point. Who is going to suffer the most from it? What incident will turn the bus over and who will get blamed? When is enough already too much?

Of course there will probably be another fiasco and everyone will forget about this one.

Quit trying to blame Bush, and understand just how wrong this situation is.

That's it... I'm only coming down here to look at fish and butts from now on and not necessarily in that order.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    webmost:
    In the last five years, I have learned three essential lessons:

1) The word "His" is spelled with a capital "H"
    2) It's never His fault
    3) It's always Bush's fault.

Any less than strict observance of all three rules is blatant racism.

This much we can guess: When parents send their children away on a perilous journey to a strange land, then things must be desperate at home. Compassion ought to trump politics here.

Well said.

When should the compassion end? a million kids? ten million? Women? Poor people? When we are all suffering worse? Why not take in ALL the people from Syria, Gaza, etc. that is compassion too. When does it end? Tough call.

At some point, the life boat cannot fit more people regardless of the compassion for those in the water.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    We need to secure the border now. They have been sending these illegals around the country for a while now, don't know if they have dumped in ME yet but they have MA with no heads up to local governments either. It's a sad thing, these poor children being used by their parents for citizenship and governments for political purposes and what they endure just to get here. I'm not sure they even know why they want to come here, the children, what have they been told? What is their perception of America? Growing up in these countries how did they learn of America? That evil empire that is keeping them in poverty, did they learn from the people that are keeping them in poverty? Don't look at it from the prism of your own experiences, theirs are much different. Bush did pass an act for a few countries to allow immigration for children sexually abused be more easy, but it was more controlled and regulated. I think Obama put out the welcome mat though. Didn't Pelosi say that we are all Americans, Central America and South America, all are Americans, what a nut.
    jd50ae:

When did it become Bush's fault? If you think that's what I said then you misunderstood. Twice. I'd just like us to deal wirh the real problems, instead of using the Obama hate for political purposes, which was what Haslam did.

Oh for heaven's sake. We all know who's fault it is. No Costa Rican peon is burning the midnight kerosene en la biblioteca researching some obscure law passed in Bush's era which none of us ever heard of until it was dug up and misconstrued by an Obama apologist to excuse our chief executive refusing to enforce border laws he has sworn to uphold. Juan heard thru the grapevine, Obama shackles la migra. Why? For the same reason dems fight voter ID ... cause they can win more elections by multiplying undocumented democrats. That's his priority. Which doesn't matter to Juan. He wants to get Juancito out of town before he gets murdered, and little Lupe out of town before she gets raped. That's his priority. Much soul searching and many tearful discussions with mama later, they send their tots off to a less uncertain fate. It's a sad situation. Why did it happen? It happened as an unintended consequence of refusing to enforce the law for political gain.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Ah... the good ole' days.
    pelirrojo:

And as everyone know this is just a poem that is attached to the statue of liberty. It is nothing else. Not law, not policy, not direction, not requests, just a poem. Being attached to the statue of liberty and near Ellis Island, everyone who follows the rules is welcome. I am good with that.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Gosh it's great that we have all these god-fearing folk teaching us how to love our fellow man:

http://www.governing.com/news/headlines/lawrenceville-virginia-the-town-that-blocked-child-immigrants.html

Apparently they have forgotten a couple of rather key passages from a person they claim to emulate:

"Whatever you do unto the least of these you do unto me" Matthew 25:40

or

"But Jesus said, Suffer children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14

or

"And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me; for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great." Luke 9:48

This is why I left and have a bad opinion of organized religion these days, most can't even follow their own teachings, yet have the gall to try and lecture those of us who don't attend. This is the perfect opportunity to practice this "Christian charity" I heard so much about, but saw so little of when I was raised in a church.

back in the political realm, US policy HAS driven a lot of this, this is the outgrowth of a lot of the "tough on crime" bills from the 80's and 90's.

http://www.governing.com/news/headlines/how-us-anti-gang-efforts-caused-the-border-problem.html

As Amos said, it's not any one president, it's US, not the U.S., it's Americans as people. It has spanned many Congresses and hundreds of elected officials, and, most importantly, MILLIONS of VOTERS.
    perkinke:
    Gosh it's great that we have all these god-fearing folk teaching us how to love our fellow man:

http://www.governing.com/news/headlines/lawrenceville-virginia-the-town-that-blocked-child-immigrants.html

Apparently they have forgotten a couple of rather key passages from a person they claim to emulate:

or

"But Jesus said, Suffer children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14

or

"And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me; for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great." Luke 9:48

This is why I left and have a bad opinion of organized religion these days, most can't even follow their own teachings, yet have the gall to try and lecture those of us who don't attend. This is the perfect opportunity to practice this "Christian charity" I heard so much about, but saw so little of when I was raised in a church.

back in the political realm, US policy HAS driven a lot of this, this is the outgrowth of a lot of the "tough on crime" bills from the 80's and 90's.

http://www.governing.com/news/headlines/how-us-anti-gang-efforts-caused-the-border-problem.html

As Amos said, it's not any one president, it's US, not the U.S., it's Americans as people. It has spanned many Congresses and hundreds of elected officials, and, most importantly, MILLIONS of VOTERS.
    Great theory. If everyone followed this we wouldn't need any laws at all.
    jadelt:
    perkinke:

or

or

AMEN and Hallelujah...
    jadelt:
    perkinke:

or

or

AMEN and Hallelujah...

http://www.governing.com/news/headlines/how-us-anti-gang-efforts-caused-the-border-problem.html is some of the most outrageous dribble, even for a xxxxxxx rag, that I have ever read.
    "As Amos said, it's not any one president, it's US, not the U.S., it's Americans as people. It has spanned many Congresses and hundreds of elected officials, and, most importantly, MILLIONS of VOTERS." Sooo true, never underestimate the power of large groups of really stupid people. Heck, give them a chance and they will do it twice.
    pelirrojo:

How about that...100,000s of people coming here through an island off the cost of NY. All of them documented. And what did they want? A chance at a better life that they would earn through hard work and invention, and it worked. There was the occasional loop hole that let criminals and other undesirable people through, but for the most part it worked.

There were no EBT cards and free housing handed out. There was no welfare and they only free medical service was on the the island. For the most part you had to have a sponsor or a promised job to leave the island.

Boy the good ole days....
    Amos Umwhat:
    jd50ae:

When did it become Bush's fault? If you think that's what I said then you misunderstood. Twice. I'd just like us to deal wirh the real problems, instead of using the Obama hate for political purposes, which was what Haslam did.

My apologies ole boy....I was so prepared for the blame Bush mantra and I jumped. "Refugees" is a word that has become so abused that I am not sure Websters won't update its definition.

Just an aside....but in the back of my mind is the thought "what if", the corrupt leaders of the countries that the majority of the illegal immigrants are coming from, are pulling a Castro. I know it is far fetched, but "what if".