Home Cigar 101

How often do you inspect your cigars?

Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
I may be ocd about this, but I freeze everything that comes into my humi (common practice I assume round here). Yet paranoia still makes me do weekly inspections. I open all boxes, look at each cigar searching for any issues with beetles, mold, or anything else. I'm also a temp and rh nut. Least bit of deviation up or down, I correct. Anyone else do this or do you just let them be?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I have 2 humidors and a cooler and I end up opening each once a week, but mostly just to smoke or move from cooler to humi. I just like to look at them!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Not often enough. But I found MOLD today. On 3 cigars. minimal damage, but scary to see.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to check all the time but now I am much more laid back about it. I don't keep track of how often. Maybe I should check every week but I don't.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I use to be religious about checking my gars but I keep a hygro in my tupperadors where I can see the RH any time I want w/o getting inside it. My cooler is pegged at 65% so I just keep a couple of 25 count humidors with what I am going to smoke and fill them up when they are empty. At best it's a good idea to at least do some air exchange once a week or two.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Inspection every couple of months, meaning I check each one and rotate my stock.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    This hobby is supposed to be relaxing! Lol, I don't freeze and I just check the rh when I grab one from the cooler to smoke. Every couple months I do some organizing and do a casual check. I'm pretty satisfied with the cigar environment that I keep and haven't had any issues yet, so I'm not very paranoid. Of course, all of that will change the first time I get mold or beetles....
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    SleevePlz:
    This hobby is supposed to be relaxing! Lol, I don't freeze and I just check the rh when I grab one from the cooler to smoke. Every couple months I do some organizing and do a casual check. I'm pretty satisfied with the cigar environment that I keep and haven't had any issues yet, so I'm not very paranoid. Of course, all of that will change the first time I get mold or beetles....
    Freezing helps me relax ;)
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    I peek at my cigars every day. I've only had them for 5 weeks now, and I dont really need to do that since I have Boveda packs and my closet hovers around 69-72 degrees, but I just like looking at them I guess. By the way, does anyone know if Boveda packs are allowed to touch the cigars?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. You inspect every single one of your cigars weekly?
    How long does that take you?
    I guess I take a look at them every time I'm undecided as to what I want to smoke, but other than that I'm not that disciplined.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    I peek at my cigars every day. I've only had them for 5 weeks now, and I dont really need to do that since I have Boveda packs and my closet hovers around 69-72 degrees, but I just like looking at them I guess. By the way, does anyone know if Boveda packs are allowed to touch the cigars?
    Yes the boveda packs can touch your cigars, another reason why they are great. I just check the rh in all of humis/coolers weekly. You might be a bit paranoid and have OCD, lol to each their own. What ever makes you comfortable, just like the Southern comfort commercials.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Patrickbrick:
    AshMe:
    Yes the boveda packs can touch your cigars, another reason why they are great. I just check the rh in all of humis/coolers weekly. You might be a bit paranoid and have OCD, lol to each their own. What ever makes you comfortable, just like the Southern comfort commercials.
    THREAD JACK! Jack. Those weirdos they depict in those Southern Comfort commercials make me UNcomfortable. Oh, and if you want a drink to clash with a cigar? Southern Comfort is good for that. (This is purely my unapologetic opinion. If you like that crap, you go right ahead and drink it,......... weirdo.)
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol it was just a joking reference to the commercials. I am not a fan of southern comfort.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually probably too often. I am so worried about humidity levels that I look and change things way more then I think needed. What I need is a walk in (don't we all) humidor.
    Patrickbrick:
    Lol it was just a joking reference to the commercials. I am not a fan of southern comfort.
    Sorry. I didn't mean that like I worote it. I've got a bad habit of writing "you" when I mean "anybody".

I know you were not endorsing Southern Comfort. I just don't like the stuff. Guess I'm just mad that I got a bottle just because I remember drinking it from long ago and I used to think it was OK. I bought the new bottle out of nostalgia. Can you sell liquor at a yard sale?
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call it inspecting. My cooler is solid at 65 rh so I rarely check the boxes or containers in there unless I am getting one out to smoke. I have a couple wood humi's that I keep things I want to smoke and special occasion smokes in. I keep an eye on them because they have a tendency to fluctuate with the seasons.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally inspect mine quickly when digging for a stick or adding. I maybe do a rotation and close inspection every few weeks.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    At least once a week sometime twice. I have many humidors and it is lot of work. Lately I stop buying cigars because I am truly tired.