Home General Discussion

Real Cuban RyJ vs modern cigar.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
The first "premium" cigar I ever smoked was a Churchill size Romeo y Julieta and is why I smoke cigars today. I have never found a "modern non-Cuban" that even comes close to the wonderfully creamy and smooth flavor of the Cuban. I remember smoking them until they got so small I burnt my fingers (pre-stubble), and I hated putting them down.

I have tried a number of different Romeo y Julieta's and nothing has been memorable and worth buying. Has anyone here smoked both versions, and found a match?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, you probably won't get any cigar from General Cigar or Altadis that matches the ISOM version as the chemical composition in the soil between Cuba and any other country's is different. The aging process may be different. Also, they may not even be using Cuban-seed tobacco. If you're looking for a NC that's really close to an ISOM, some of the Davidoffs or Winston Churchill (by Davidoff).

To be absolutely honest, very very few NC lines have identical flavors with the ISOMs. However, some have come close.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    To be honest, you probably won't get any cigar from General Cigar or Altadis that matches the ISOM version as the chemical composition in the soil between Cuba and any other country's is different. The aging process may be different. Also, they may not even be using Cuban-seed tobacco. If you're looking for a NC that's really close to an ISOM, some of the Davidoffs or Winston Churchill (by Davidoff).

To be absolutely honest, very very few NC lines have identical flavors with the ISOMs. However, some have come close.

True, I have smoked a couple of Davidoff's that really are similar and very good. There is also a Fuente out there, and I can not for the life of me remember which one, that at one time was so close that I always had some on hand. Smoked 6 or 7 different ones but no joy. They are too expensive anyway.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anything from General Cigar is even supposed to resemble the Cuban counterpart. All GC and Altadis do is play off of the Cuban name and global recognition.

After the revolution, many blenders and factory owners fled, taking their brand-names with them. General Cigar and Altadis bought them up. Of course Cuba still claims the brand too (that'd make for one hell of a lawsuit(s) if the embargo was ever lifted!). So, if you believe that the individual creator maintains the rights to their brands, then GC and Altadis brands are the "real" ones (this doesn't include Cohiba).

Ask Catfish what he thinks about non-Cubans that taste like Cubans. I think a lot of brands will tout that they are "Cubanesque" but miss the mark. However, I am sure some brands have come close. I like the Tatuaje brown label... Maybe a little strong for a cuban taste, but very complex and what I'd consider in the Cuban direction as far as taste goes. That's my personal taste though. PS they are expensive too, lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    No non Cuban can matches the Cuban taste. It is the Mother Nature. That doesn't mean non Cubans are bad but in reality there are very few good non- Cuban cigars in the market. At the same time not all Cuban cigars are good. However, Cuban taste in unique with a pleasant aftertaste. Once you discover the unique taste of Cubans cigars then it is harder to find a good non- Cuban cigar.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I don't want to know how good a good ISOM really is. I've had a great time smoking NCs so far. The only cuban I ever had was from a pass here. I was not all that impressed. (I know, I know, maybe it was a fake.) I don't think I even want to have a excellent cuban cigar. Then what would I think of my coolers full of NCs that I enjoy now?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Maybe I don't want to know how good a good ISOM really is. I've had a great time smoking NCs so far. The only cuban I ever had was from a pass here. I was not all that impressed. (I know, I know, maybe it was a fake.) I don't think I even want to have a excellent cuban cigar. Then what would I think of my coolers full of NCs that I enjoy now?
    It's like comparing liquor that is really delicious but hard to find. You still would enjoy another liquor that isn't quite as good as the great one.

If you've had an old vintage rum or whiskey that was tremendously hard to find/expensive, that tasted great, did it make any of the other rum or whiskey you had any less good?

The nice thing I have found, for me, about cigars is that I can have a really great cigar, but those really good ones remain really good. If that makes any sense. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Bob Luken:
    Just cause it's a cuban doesnt mean it's gonna be great. Ive had some that arent impresive. Same as any other cigars; bum sticks, off-taste day, or just not your style. And I think you can enjoy great cigars without abandoning other everyday sticks, same with cubans.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    Crowned heads angels anvil is very close to a ryj churchill. Smooth rich creamy medium body. Also tatuaje cabaiguan comes to mind when I think of Cuban flavors. And my father Le bijou connecticut also compares well. (Both in the corona gorda size) Off on a tangent here but my favorite all time smoke Cuban or not is the bolivar royal corona.. just an all around amazing cigar!
    NightHawk:
    Off on a tangent here but my favorite all time smoke Cuban or not is the bolivar royal corona.. just an all around amazing cigar!
    I love Bolivar. I havent tried the royal corona or belicoso yet, but I sure plan to.