Home Cigar 101

Does Sam Leccia White have a Cameroon wrapper?

ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
Some websites list the Sam Leccia White as having a Cameroon wrapper. Others and the official Leccia website say 'African Sun Grown' wrapper. Is it a Cameroon sun grown wrapper or some other variety?

Also, if not what other varieties of leaf come from Africa?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there are any other strains of tobacco growing in Africa unless it's for cigarettes. From what I've been able to find, it's a sun-grown cameroon wrapper.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    Some websites list the Sam Leccia White as having a Cameroon wrapper. Others and the official Leccia website say 'African Sun Grown' wrapper. Is it a Cameroon sun grown wrapper or some other variety?

Also, if not what other varieties of leaf come from Africa?

All Cameroons are a sun-grown wrapper. Usually in Africa. I saw that while looking into Bob's Cameroon question.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • heels0303heels0303 Posts: 53
    It is African Sun Grown
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    All Cameroons are a sun-grown wrapper. Usually in Africa. I saw that while looking into Bob's Cameroon question.
    I don't know if ALL cameroon are sun-grown, but I do know that the largest percentage of cameroon tobacco is sun-grown.
    According to the info I have found, Cameroon Tobacco Company and Meerapfel Tobacco Group only grow sun-grown cameroon tobacco.
    As for cameroon tobacco grown elsewhere, Cameroon tobacco is originally the Sumatran tobacco plant. So grown elsewhere could be Sumatra tobacco or cameroon (though I don't see how it could be considered a true cameroon).

But, Cameroon tobacco plants are being grown in Ecuador. I've not found any reference to anyone using it or how those have produced wrappers. So I don't know, which is aggravating. LOL!

Since I am a cameroon fiend and this topic intrigued me, I decided I'd see if I can get a reply from the source as to whether they consider the wrapper cameroon or not, so I've attempted an email to Sam Leccia.
    We'll see if I get a reply.
    Not gonna hold my breath. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience:
    Gray4lines:
    I don't know if ALL cameroon are sun-grown, but I do know that the largest percentage of cameroon tobacco is sun-grown.
    According to the info I have found, Cameroon Tobacco Company and Meerapfel Tobacco Group only grow sun-grown cameroon tobacco.
    As for cameroon tobacco grown elsewhere, Cameroon tobacco is originally the Sumatran tobacco plant. So grown elsewhere could be Sumatra tobacco or cameroon (though I don't see how it could be considered a true cameroon).

But, Cameroon tobacco plants are being grown in Ecuador. I've not found any reference to anyone using it or how those have produced wrappers. So I don't know, which is aggravating. LOL!

Since I am a cameroon fiend and this topic intrigued me, I decided I'd see if I can get a reply from the source as to whether they consider the wrapper cameroon or not, so I've attempted an email to Sam Leccia.
    That may be true that not all are sun-grown. I did read about Meerpfel, so I bet that's where I saw that.

I agree that "Cameroon" wrappers grown anywhere else would just be sumatran, or so it seems.

I hope you hear back!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    0patience:
    Gray4lines:

That may be true that not all are sun-grown. I did read about Meerpfel, so I bet that's where I saw that.

I agree that "Cameroon" wrappers grown anywhere else would just be sumatran, or so it seems.

I hope you hear back!
    I hope you get a reply. I seem to have read that the "almost constant" cloud cover in places like Ecuador (and Cameroon also.) make the tern sun-grown a bit of a misnomer or just outright marketing mumbo jumbo. All Cameroon wrappers are technically "sun-grown' in that they are not grown under man made shade devices such as cheesecloth but under natural conditions which are nearly always cloudy. Everybody in the industry knew this, so my guess is that nobody needed to bother calling it sun-grown until people in marketing decided that they could get peoples attention if they describe their leaf in terms that make you THINK it's different and special.
    That's exactly what I read, bob... That "sungrown" while is technically accurate for how cameroon is grown, really doesn't apply to it either and certainly doesn't mean it's special or better.
    Here is the reply I received.

Tony,
    It is Cameroon. It is sun grown, which makes it darker and richer.
    Thanks!

Sam Leccia
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks! Did he ask for your addy?
    Chemnitz:
    Awesome! Thanks! Did he ask for your addy?
    LOL! No.
    But now that I know it's Cameroon, I have to locate some. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Tony I have a chillin in the wineador ........ Wanna give up those digits for a few to try????? I really need to hit the PO tomorrow.
    kingjk729:
    Tony I have a chillin in the wineador ........ Wanna give up those digits for a few to try????? I really need to hit the PO tomorrow.
    PM sent
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really liked the White in a Corona. I had 2 and they both had only 2-3 months of age on them. I need to get some more now that I am reading this and getting my mind on them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Today, I decided to try one of the Leccia White Robustos that Kingjk sent me.
    I'm liking this one. It is very good. I may have to put this one on my good cameroon list.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: