Home Ratings & Reviews

My Father La Antiguedad

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a single a few weeks ago and fired it up tonight. And I can't keep this one lit. The draw is a bit loose and I've gotten it a bit too hot at times trying to keep it going. I've heard good things about this stick but this particular one has me frustrated. I detected some excellent flavors but the hot burn has somewhat ruined what otherwise may have been a great smoke. Anybody had any experience with this cigar?

Comments

• christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    How does it taste compared to the flor de las antillas?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be a candidate for dry-boxing?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Might be a bum stick. I usually smoke two or three before passing judgement about an entire line.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I've had 3 so far. All were very good and stayed lit. I have a full box of the robustos that I got in June and I'm letting them set for now. I will probably bust them out in November. Maybe you got a bad one Bob
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a few minor issues with my first one as well. I moved them to a spot that has a higher rh where most of my Olivas are kept and this seemed to do the trick.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    How does it taste compared to the flor de las antillas?
    Hard to say. I've had just a couple of the flor de las antillas and it's been a while. It showed some promise to be a really complex and richly flavored stick at times. But almost immediately the burn was strange. It didn't want to produce smoke but on about the third puff it would bellow. I knew I shouldn't overheat it but I couldn't avoid it except to let it die out.
    Amos Umwhat:
    Might be a candidate for dry-boxing?
    Maybe so. Maybe there were too much oils in the leaves. Reminded me of burn problems I've had with the AB Prensado. I had high hopes for this cigar. I hate it when they don't want to cooperate LOL.
    wwhwang:
    Might be a bum stick. I usually smoke two or three before passing judgement about an entire line.
    Right. I'm not saying it's a bad stick. I just had a bad time keeping this one lit. I like to smoke 'em easy and not let the cherry get too hot. This one was willing to burn only if it could get a lot of constant air flow, then it was really hot!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had about 4 out of a box. They have a loose draw compared to most. They burned fine but I'd take the Flor or the new DPG blue Maduro over them. The bands are cool but the cigar left me not as impressed as I thought I would be..
    Bigshizza:
    I've had about 4 out of a box. They have a loose draw compared to most. They burned fine but I'd take the Flor or the new DPG blue Maduro over them. The bands are cool but the cigar left me not as impressed as I thought I would be..
    Oh yeah! That band is really cool. And the loose draw made me wish I'd used my smallest punch instead of my xikar cutter. LOL I should have given up early but I WANTED it to get better. I struggled through 2/3rds of it before I realized it was giving off plenty of nicotine. I wonder if a hotter burning cigar gives you more nicotine than a cooler burning cigar? Hmm.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very timely post. I was a gonna buy me sum but didint.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, how much rest did these have? I picked up a fiver about 6 wks ago, was thinking about trying one this weekend.
    Probably about that long. Six weeks rest. I have not yet ruled out a problem I may have with storage in the small 50 count. Just sayin' that I mean to smoke some more from that same humi to see if I have burn problems with some of the others. But, my best guess it that this particular stick was too oily and needed some dry boxing. It was a very strange burn. It was not willing to burn at a pace I was used to. Slow. But, it was perfectly willing to burn with lots of airflow and therefore HOT. I'm usually a "two slow drags" method kinda' guy but this gal wanted to dance much faster. First drag, nothin'. Second drag, tiny bit of smoke. Third drag she was finally getting woke up/fired up and the smoke gets thick but it's too hot. Oh and once, maybe twice early on there was a noticeable pop sound when it would get fired up. I dunno what that means if anything.
    jd50ae:
    Very timely post. I was a gonna buy me sum but didint.
    I doubt that this is a common problem with these. I'm not afraid to try them again. I'm thinking it was just the one stick. (I hope so because I'm wanting to try again.)
  • The first one I had needed some touch up, but I've had three or four since then...in my opinion, the best cigar MF has made (barely edging the Flor De Las Antillas MAM-13 and Lancero).
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I have had a number of them in different sizes. My favorite "new" cigar along with the Illusion Gigantes. Granted I haven't tried everything new out this year, but it blew me away. I'd say you're right about it burning a little hotter than most. A little rest may be just the ticket.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I had one blind. It was given to me, and I had no idea it was a My Fathers stick because I could read the label. Didn't love it, but was intrigued enough to look it up the next day. Wouldn't seek them, but wouldn't turn one down

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I picked up a single a few weeks ago and fired it up tonight. And I can't keep this one lit. The draw is a bit loose and I've gotten it a bit too hot at times trying to keep it going. I've heard good things about this stick but this particular one has me frustrated. I detected some excellent flavors but the hot burn has somewhat ruined what otherwise may have been a great smoke. Anybody had any experience with this cigar?
    I know this thread is "Necro" but I had the EXACT same experience with this stick today. I think I'll stick with the Flor de las Antilles, way better experience. This was my first bad box-press in 10 yrs of smoking. Sad to see it is the stick and I didn't just have a bum one.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Bob Luken:
    I know this thread is "Necro" but I had the EXACT same experience with this stick today. I think I'll stick with the Flor de las Antilles, way better experience. This was my first bad box-press in 10 yrs of smoking. Sad to see it is the stick and I didn't just have a bum one.
    I bought a box of these when they were released back in June and put them in the humi. Last week I pulled one out and smoked it. Absolutely fantastic. No problems what so ever. Sorry to hear you guys had bad experiences.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    i actually did a review thqat i have not posted yet. probably early tomorrow. had some of the same issues.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a box when they were first released. Smoked 1 or 2 and thought they needed some rest (burn and flavor). Have to fire one up again and see if they have changed
  • C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    I bought a box when they were first released. Smoked 1 or 2 and thought they needed some rest (burn and flavor). Have to fire one up again and see if they have changed
    I'm with ya Sherm, I put some down to rest and fired one up a week ago and thought it was much better than when I first smoked a few when they were released.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Shizza hit me with a big ol churchill of this blend. Looking forward to giving it a try and posting my second opinion. Looks like I should let it rest a good amount of time based on what we've seen so far.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    not sure if the rest will solve the burn issues.
    seems that only about 50% have the burn problems. good luck.
    Smoked one tonight. Have been in the cooler almost 5 months. Perfect burn and much better than I remember. Will have to let them rest a little more and try another
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob--- I can send you a few from my box?
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Ditto Sherm. First I smoked was so so. Had one with a couple months on it its much better !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
    Bigshizza:
    Jim are you interested in trading some? If so, let me know if there is anything you're looking for.
    blutattoo:
    Bigshizza:
    Jim are you interested in trading some? If so, let me know if there is anything you're looking for.

I got you Jason. Send them out Monday
    rsherman24:
    blutattoo:
    Bigshizza:

I got you Jason. Send them out Monday
    Mighty kind of you, I think I can dig up something you'll like in return. Thanks a bunch.