Home Cigar 101

Storing dried out cigars with good ones

NOLAGTNOLAGT Posts: 20
I finally have my 100ct humidor rolling along I feel. Someone gave me a box of cigars last night and they seem pretty dried out to me. Is there a issue storing the dried out ones in my humidor with the others? I was just going to leave them in there and rotate them some to try to restore them but I was wondering will the dried ones suck up the humidity in there and dry out my good ones?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as long as your RH holds you should be fine.

just fill up your humidification device before adding.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    What are the indicators that they are dried out? Did the person who gave them to you mention how long the box had been neglected, if at all?
    I would think that it would be okay depending on how "dried out" the cigars are and the ratio of the good cigars to the drier ones added. There was a thread recently debating whether a badly neglected box of cubans could be restored - not sure if a definite conclusion was reached. Also, if you use a boveda pack you could put it between the good cigars and the drier cigars. Another thing you could do is put the box in a zip lock bag with a boveda pack inside the bag and box, until proper humidity is reached.
  • NOLAGTNOLAGT Posts: 20
    Chemnitz:
    What are the indicators that they are dried out? Did the person who gave them to you mention how long the box had been neglected, if at all?
    I would think that it would be okay depending on how "dried out" the cigars are and the ratio of the good cigars to the drier ones added. There was a thread recently debating whether a badly neglected box of cubans could be restored - not sure if a definite conclusion was reached. Also, if you use a boveda pack you could put it between the good cigars and the drier cigars. Another thing you could do is put the box in a zip lock bag with a boveda pack inside the bag and box, until proper humidity is reached.
    Well to start I use the 72% packs in my humi...I may one day drop that some but thats where I started. I think these are dried becasue I have some in my humi already and they are softer and dont make cracking sound when pinched. They are torpedoes too so I lightly bit on the tip to see if it was making the same cracking sound as pinching. So they are diffidently more dry than what I have...im new to cigars so not sure if they are REAL dry. They are pretty hard...but not crumbling. He didn't say if it was and I would wager he doesn't think or know if they were. He got them from a family member and passed a box on to me and he got some for himself. Now...I had some cigars with him as well and his humi hygrometer was at about 55%. I didnt say anything becasue I have really just become friendly with him (moving on the same street). He did say later on that he thought his were a little dry and he would have to check his humidor out.... I have about 12-15 good cigars and the box I put in was 25. I had 4 72% packs in there and what I did was stack the new ones in the middle with a 5th 72% pack in the middle area with them. The good ones are in the next chamber over from them. This morning the % was 63 but I had a lot of open time getting them all set in there and it was late at night when I did it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are real dry you could risk them busting if you just throw them in with your other sticks. Bring them back slow. And if they have been sitting dry for to long they could be a lost cause. Put them in a ziplock bag with a paper towel dampened (not soaked just moistened)with distilled water. Once the start to moisten up then put them in the humi to finish. I read that somewhere.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    72% is a bit high for cigars. you are running the risk of mold over 70%.

cigars that dont crackle at all are not too dry. they dryer they get the more they crackle and flake. many cigars are also very firm with no resistance when pinched or squeezed. this is not an indication that they are dry at all. this is actually an indication of how packed of tobacco they are and the quality of the roll.
    what brand are they?

if they are softer and dont crackle that would indicate they are too wet. if they were soft and flakey they they are dry and under filled.

either way, it does not matter. put them in a humidor that is at the RH you want and let them sit for six months to a year and you should be ok so long as they were not out of humidification for longer than 4 or so months under very dry conditions.
    might not be the same cigar it was but it will be able to be smoked.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious. (Nosey really.) What are the cigars? Brand, blend, wrapper,...all the details.
    Thanks for all the info yall. I started at 72%...just wanted to start there and if I didnt like it or had issues I could drop down. I will just leave them in there and see how they go over time. I dont think i can say what brand they are...altho id like to becasue I have other questions lol
  • I usually decide what I am smoking the next day and unwrap just those so the humidity gets to them. I might start cutting the end of the cello off. That sounds like a great idea.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    NOLAGT:
    Thanks for all the info yall. I started at 72%...just wanted to start there and if I didnt like it or had issues I could drop down. I will just leave them in there and see how they go over time. I dont think i can say what brand they are...altho id like to becasue I have other questions lol
    all is good on here and you should probably post pics since most are fake and you could be trying too hard for nothing
    Money can't buy taste
    Yea I know and I'm not sure about these. I been trying to check the numbers off the box but the website always says it's too busy to try again later. I actually have 2 boxs one I bought and one was given to me. The light yellow box is the ones given to me...had the older style band. image image image image image image image image image image image These are the ones from the light yellow box...the ones I think might be dry. image image image The band is embossed image image And I cut one open to see if it was crumbs of leaves swept off the floor or long leaves...seems like long...some looked darker than others tho not sure of that's normal. Outer wrap off image Guts image
    I don't have pics on me of the other ones out the darker yellow box. They are the current ones with the gold on the band...they are embossed too. The dark yellow back came to me wrapped in cellophane light yellow did not. Both seals on both boxs were intact. Dark yellow had paper on the top of each row of cigars light yellow did not. Both have the cedar divider and the little card in all the languages. The hologram on the light yellow box is different than the dark yellow...it's smooth the dark yellow has texture to it. Should I post this else ware? And thanks in advance!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    NOLAGT:
    I don't have pics on me of the other ones out the darker yellow box. They are the current ones with the gold on the band...they are embossed too. The dark yellow back came to me wrapped in cellophane light yellow did not. Both seals on both boxs were intact. Dark yellow had paper on the top of each row of cigars light yellow did not. Both have the cedar divider and the little card in all the languages. The hologram on the light yellow box is different than the dark yellow...it's smooth the dark yellow has texture to it. Should I post this else ware? And thanks in advance!
    I can help you if you want, email me at dustin@cigarfederation.com. I run a show and we identify fakes all the time. My guess is the one box has a stamp of EGO, which does not exist really. The other may be legitimate. Send me pics of cigars from each separately if you don't mind, along with boxes. Pictures of the cigars should be against white paper, natural light if possible, need to see the veins. If one is fake, chances are the other is as well, but I cannot tell from the pics which is which. The 2013 box should have raised embossed bands. The other, if for some reason is an older box, would have a different hue to the band, and would not be as glossy. Let me know, I can help.
    Actually the font of "Habanos" on the back of both boxes is off, they are fake. Also, the warranty seals would have red letter stamp to denote the year as well. Neither of them have it. Both of the fonts of the serial numbers are bad as well. If the warranty seals were supposedly pre2009, they would also not have the hologram, for the one coded EOG. Sorry to say my friend, but both are fake.
    image image image image
    I want to see the ones from the 2013 box, because the "Habanos" should have the "b" like the one pictured above, but if they have the new gold bands, that puts a twist on this... It just does not add up, but I have not seen any fakes with the new bands yet, so I am extremely curious to take a look. Please email me, this would be a first.
    I want sure about the first one and I'm pretty new to cigars...they smoked fine and I didn't really check them out. The 2nd box tho was so different I decided to look further into both. I knew they faked Cubans...but didn't really realize to what extent they went through to do so lol. When I get some time probably later on today I will send you a email with some pics. What I will do is send two separate emailed for each one. Thanks for the help!
    without a doubt the one box is fake, so I do not need pictures of it. The other box, please send pictures of the entire box, all the label and inserts, then pictures of the cigars as well against a white backdrop. I need pics of the wrapper and foot specifically. I am very curious to see if a box of the new band fakes has hit the market. No one I know of is getting the No 2's with the gold bands yet, so this would be a first.
    Ok I took a bunch of pics...do I need to resize them...its about 87mb. I used my DLSR so you culd zoom in real good.
    Just send them over brother, and send me a PM where you got them
    5 emails sent
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    NOLAGT:
    5 emails sent
    Your in good hands NOLAGT experts of the leaf reside here. Welcome to the forum!
    We covered this box on our show on Sunday. Both are fake. The stamps and bands are bad on the gold band box. I'll email you the details brother to explain. Do not buy from this source again and if you can get your money back, do it.
  • I wouldn't worry about drying out your humidified cigars, but I would worry about ruining the dried out ones by throwing them into a fully humidified situation.

Depending on how dry they are, they should spend 3 months at approx. 50% humidity, then 3 months at 60% humidity, then 3 months in a fully humidified 70-72% environment.  After that, they should be ok to smoke. 

If you don't take your time like that, they will absorb moisture too quickly and crack.
    catfishbluezz:
    We covered this box on our show on Sunday. Both are fake. The stamps and bands are bad on the gold band box. I'll email you the details brother to explain. Do not buy from this source again and if you can get your money back, do it.
    Did you ever email me the details? I missed it if so and forgot to check back here...been so busy. Ah well...only paid for one...other was a gift. I'll have to brake the news to both of them becasue im pretty sure they both dont realize it. Thanks for the help! Do you have a link to the show you did...would love to check it out.
    I got my hands on some real montis...can totally tell the difference in looking at the box, band, and them.