Home Cigar 101
Options

Using a cooler to season a humi?

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Looked around and could not find anything. I have a 150qt cooler that is pretty empty (HUSH). HonorKnight recently sent a little 25 stick humi, that's sitting in the cooler open. Do you guys think that this will season the humi to whatever the cooler is at?

Comments

• Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Just wanted to quickly tell you as I did JD, I bought those Humi's for the the purpose of making them up like I did, I took them apart to sand/prime/paint then reassembled them and have no idea if that would/could hinder there ability to work as intended, so please test them before using them for cigar storage (and it was labeled as a 100 ct) :P
  • Options
    No way...25 is being gracious! ;) Yeah, I saw that. I have it in the cooler because my MOW humi came back too, so I'm not sure what to do with all of them. Have a few sticks in my cooler, my main humi and two that I have no idea what to do with.
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    No way...25 is being gracious! ;) Yeah, I saw that. I have it in the cooler because my MOW humi came back too, so I'm not sure what to do with all of them. Have a few sticks in my cooler, my main humi and two that I have no idea what to do with.
    No idea what to do with them? Oh, I think some folks around here could help out with that. Hear that everybody? Randy needs to fill his 2 empty, lonely humis! Bwahahaha!!

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet it would work just fine to slowly humidify the wood humis but it could bring down the RH inside the cooler temporarily as they absorb moisture. Could bring it down a little or it could be a lot. That's my guess anyway. I wouldn't be afraid to try it though but I'd watch it like a hawk considering the sticks you have in there already.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Looked around and could not find anything. I have a 150qt cooler that is pretty empty (HUSH). HonorKnight recently sent a little 25 stick humi, that's sitting in the cooler open. Do you guys think that this will season the humi to whatever the cooler is at?
    I don't see any reason why this would not work, especially with such a patient person as yourself!
  • Options
    Nathan...that's the nicest thing I've heard all day.
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I think it might work better than just seasoning the inside of it. Let that humidity seep deep into the wood. I might try this with my next one.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    should work. i would place it in there open but i would also set a dish of distilled in there as well. moisture wont escape. its actually a great way to do it. there is nothing really to work against. all air is at the correct RH.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    honorknight7:
    Just wanted to quickly tell you as I did JD, I bought those Humi's for the the purpose of making them up like I did, I took them apart to sand/prime/paint then reassembled them and have no idea if that would/could hinder there ability to work as intended, so please test them before using them for cigar storage (and it was labeled as a 100 ct) :P

Just so you know the humidor you sent me has held a steady reading since I seasoned it. Is working just fine.