Home Cigar 101

Xikar cutters

SchackersSchackers Posts: 18
I have a Xikar xi1 and I'm not really liking it. I have yet to have a perfectly clean cut, I always seem to get some stragglers in the center of the cap.
Do you guys have any tips for these cutters? Maybe I'm missing something?
I had a cheap double guillotine that worked great for awhile and figured this Xikar was an upgrade, it hasn't been.

Comments

• AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Whats the difference between the x1, x2, and x3? I have a x2 and I really like it. It works better than the collibri one I have. I just go slow and strong. I palm the cutter and use my palm muscles rather than my finger tips. The Xikar booklet shows the way of laying the cutter down on the table and then cutting. I haven't had good results that way.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd. I prefer my Xi1 over my Xi2 and Xi3.

But if it isn't sharp, it will cause those problems.
    I've sent mine in several times to be sharpened (I think they just replace the blades.).
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    ?? I bought two 3.00 cutters from eBay over a year ago, still using the same one I started with and gave the other one away, I cut (at least) 2 cigars a day and over a year now still works like the day I bought it, perfect. The only thing I do to it is wipe it with rubbing alcohol now and then
    I did spend 25 bucks on a palm style that resembled the x1, F-ing hated it, always a bad cut, threw it away
    No way I could justify the price on others with how this 3 dollar cutter has worked out, and with the free shipping I can get a new one every year and will probably be dead before I reach the xikar price point :P
  • SchackersSchackers Posts: 18
    I pretty much feel the same way hahaha. No question the xikar is well made, but the quality of the cut (at least in my hands) leaves something to be desired
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Not much difference from any of these cutters except they are another model. The action is the same...the blades are basically the same and what happens with cutters is how they are put together at the factory. Some aren't as sharp or the actual action of the blades aren't aligned properly. The good news is that if you don't like the model take it to a B&M and exchange it. Xi - Aluminum body Xi2 - Lightweight nylon fiberglass composite Xi3 - titanium nitride
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are not careful with your cut with a Xikar you will get those stragglers. one way i prevent those is to sort of push into the cigar as i am cutting. it makes the cut more level as well. i also make sure to cut fairly quickly.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to watch out for (I had this issue with two cutters myself) is the blades not closing together. I had this happen on a brand new cutter and one that was well used. To combat this problem I make sure to partially close the cutter (just a bit) to make sure it's blade on blade and not blade on one side and being a bit crushed on the other (with delayed cut) with late deployment. Doing a quick cut once you are set helps make it cleaner as well. I got a bunch of the cheap black oval ones for like a buck and they work great and it's no big deal to lose them but I get the best cuts with my Xikar. (plus the have great customer service).
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    if you are not careful with your cut with a Xikar you will get those stragglers. one way i prevent those is to sort of push into the cigar as i am cutting. it makes the cut more level as well. i also make sure to cut fairly quickly.
    Right on. A slight push "into" the cigar during your cut will give you a great, clean cut most times. I love my xi3. A guy at a B & M thought he was doing me a favor by showing me the xikar-on-the-table thing and ruined my H.Upmann 1844 Reserve. He was embarrassed and gave me a new one. What a maroon.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • SchackersSchackers Posts: 18
    Thanks for the tips! Pushing into the cigar has really helped to give me a clean, even cut.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I like my Xikar and usually get great cuts. I even use the counter method and it gives me a really good cut. From time to time, I do get a straggler and I would like to use your method of pushing into the cigar, that is, if I could picture what you're talking about in my think head.

Do you mean, with the cigar straight up, pushing the cutter down while you cut, or pushing away from you into the cigar as you cut? Please bear with me, I'm mechanically challenged.

• AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    I just wanted to announce that I put away my punch cutter this labor day weekend and decided to try this "push into the cigar" technique with my Xikar. I am happy to report that the cuts were absolutely perfect!! I actually cut my lip on the first cigar when I went to smoke because it cut so sharp. And to answer Yankeeman's question: When holding the cutter and after closing the blades around the cigar so that they are actually touching the cap in preparation for the cut, push the cutter slightly "into" the cigar and the cigar towards the cutter, and cut in a quick deft motion. It'll make a nice cut. So in essence, you'll be pushing your hands towards each other. Cigar in one hand, cutter in the other.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    I just wanted to announce that I put away my punch cutter this labor day weekend and decided to try this "push into the cigar" technique with my Xikar. I am happy to report that the cuts were absolutely perfect!! I actually cut my lip on the first cigar when I went to smoke because it cut so sharp. And to answer Yankeeman's question: When holding the cutter and after closing the blades around the cigar so that they are actually touching the cap in preparation for the cut, push the cutter slightly "into" the cigar and the cigar towards the cutter, and cut in a quick deft motion. It'll make a nice cut. So in essence, you'll be pushing your hands towards each other. Cigar in one hand, cutter in the other.
    Hallelujah! He's seen the light! LOL
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    kuzi16:
    I like my Xikar and usually get great cuts. I even use the counter method and it gives me a really good cut. From time to time, I do get a straggler and I would like to use your method of pushing into the cigar, that is, if I could picture what you're talking about in my think head.

Do you mean, with the cigar straight up, pushing the cutter down while you cut, or pushing away from you into the cigar as you cut? Please bear with me, I'm mechanically challenged.

the first one. if the cut is horizontal, push down on the vertical. a light push toward the food of the cigar.
    Bob and Kuzi, thank you gentleman. It makes sense to me, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks again guys. I've been using this method for the last few days and it works great! I too, may throw away my punch!

• I got 2 Xikar's I use often my XI2 which took me a while to get used to, but now that i have it's an awesome cut. Also have the MTX, which is probably my favorite i always get a clean cut and it folds up. So i just fold it up and hook it on my uniform. though i do think i am the only one on board the ship that has a cigar cutter with them 24 hours a day.