Home Cigar 101

Media Noche? Is it just a name?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Media Noche? (Midnight?)
Is it a wrapper color?
Is it a wrapper process? (Like the maduro process.)
Is it an Oscuro by a different name?

Montecristo Media Noche,  Romeo y Julieta Media Noche, H Upmann Media Noche, The list goes on and on..............

Comments

• AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Media Noche just means "midnight" in spanish, and I'm assuming they are using this name to indicate a new line of products using a darker wrapper since most montes, uppmans, and RyJs are known for their claro or colorado wrappers. Its a new blend altogether. They dont just wrap a known blend in a new wrapper like Alec Bradley does with the MAXX line.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a maduro wrapper
    Money can't buy taste
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if they're maduros, why are all these different makers using the term "media noche"? Is it a revived Cuban term?
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    ^^^ well they are all owned by the same company, Imperial Tobacco. So they created the maduro wrapped line. They could've just as well named it Espresso, or Charcoal, to connote the darkness of the cigar, but they opted for a fancier name of midnight.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup all made by altidis and made for ccom and ci only
    Money can't buy taste
    Thanks Ash, I didn't realize that those three were all in the same family. That sheds some light on the marketing of Imperial.
    But, there's more besides Imperial. I found two other cigars using the term and one of them is by General Cigar Company. (I guess Imperial has no trademark on the term.) So, I'm still wondering how far back this term goes in the cigar world. Or maybe it's a new thing.

Hoyo de Monterrey Sumatra Media Noche cigar (Sumatra Wrapper? Yep.) General Cigar Company,subsidiary of Swedish Match.

ROSA CUBA MEDIA NOCHE cigars (Cheap bundles, Sumatra Wrapper) (Not positive who owns Rosa Cuba. Maybe NATSA?)
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought media Noche just meant black dvds... Lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    A for effort but, I only rate that joke one L. Not a full LOL :P
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    90+ Irishman:
    A for effort but, I only rate that joke one L. Not a full LOL :P
    hahaha
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't researched or anything. But I'd bet just a name. Definitely not a special term for maduro that goes back to cuba... cuba doesnt really do maduros at all. I think it just sounds nice and elegant.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Long ago I had a Montecristo Media Noche and loved it. Haven't had one in a long time.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, you're all wrong. It's a sandwich:

"Medianoche (Midnight in Spanish) is a type of sandwich which originated in Cuba. It is served in many Cuban communities in the United States. It is so named because of the sandwich's popularity as a staple served in Havana's night clubs right around or after midnight

A medianoche consists of roast pork, ham, mustard, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles. It is a close cousin to the Cuban sandwich, the chief difference being that a medianoche is made on soft, sweet egg dough bread similar to Challah rather than on crustier Cuban bread. Like the Cuban sandwich, the medianoche is typically warmed in a press before eating."

But the real question is, are they any good? I love most of the RyJ line but haven't tried one of these yet.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."