Home Ratings & Reviews

Ghurka is 0 - 2

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Well, I decided to give Ghurka another try on Saturday night. And again, a terrible smoke. I don't know what thier problem is, but this cigar looked great, lit fine, no burn issues. But the problem came in that the head. this part of the cigar was bound so tightly, that I could not get a draw. It was ridiculous. I ended up throwing to the stupid thing away and smoking a Padilla miami. The cigar I tried was a Ghurka Black Puro and it was 100% Grade A Garbage.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to hear that you had such a bad experience with Gurkha. I haven't smoked a bad one yet. Nothing like a good cigar being a bad experience though. Ruins the moment.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan of the black puro. I would say that most of the lines I like but some I just don't care for.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've had good and bad Gurkhas just like I have had good and bad other brands. My first Black Puro was really good. The second was not so good. My first Centurion was freaking awesome my last few were just ok. Hwne I tried the grand reserve and the platinum I liked the platinum better but my second round I liked the grand reserve better. My first RP Decade was awesome too but the last two were just ok. Same thing with the 90 and 92. Could be a bad stick, tastes change, mood, etc...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    That seems to be the on going theme with Ghurka, seems to be hit or miss with thier sticks. I have just 2 more Ghurkas left in my humi, so that means just 2 more chances. At this rate, I really have no desire to spend my money on these cigars ever again, but I will still smoke those last two sticks, hopefully one of these will be a decent smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Sorry to hear that. Maybe give a Gurkha Class Regent a shot? I love those. Very good. Centurian? Very good as well. You can have bad cigars from any brand.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Kreig, I am with you totally. I posted here, or on another site once (and I feel it is true after another try), that there is no more consistenly average to below average brand than Gurhka. Good brands have bad cigars, bad brands have good lines-----Gurhka seems to have nothing at all....Its a shame too, because with 1,659 different lines, you would think one could do it.
    Vulchor:
    Kreig, I am with you totally. I posted here, or on another site once (and I feel it is true after another try), that there is no more consistenly average to below average brand than Gurhka. Good brands have bad cigars, bad brands have good lines-----Gurhka seems to have nothing at all....Its a shame too, because with 1,659 different lines, you would think one could do it.
    yeah, it seems like they are more concerned about quantity rather than quality. I'd rather spend my money on a cigar brand that might have 5-10 lines....but they're damn good smokes.

"Long ashes my friends."

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I have not had a great experience either with Ghurka. I haven't had that many but mostly because I don't want to buy anymore after the dozen or so I've had.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I really enjoyed the Titan II.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I'm not thrilled with Ghurka. I am intriqued with the HMR. I hardly can see why it would be worth $750 per stick though. If someone wants to send me one though.........I wouldnt turn it away! :)
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I haven't had a bad ghurka experience yet. I love the symphony tho, you outta try that one. Also the legend is pretty tasty.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are making me nervous. I just went for the Gurkha deal a couple of weeks ago and I'm letting them rest. I'm anxious to give them a try. I've never tried any of the Gurkha products and I was hoping to be dazzled. I'll probably wait another month or so and I'll reach in and grab one. I got 5 or 6 different ones, so whatever I come up with, I'll smoke. I'll let you know what I think and I'll add my .2 also.
    Vulchor:
    Which one's have you had? I'm wondering because there are several that I'm not fond of, but overall I have been very impressed with their blends.
    I'm sure their blends are ok, but both cigars I had were made by a roller that just graduated the 1st grade.

"Long ashes my friends."

lol, that will do it.
  • I really liked the Ancient Warrior, and the Titan. I wonder if Gurkha is trying to spread themselves too thin with micro batch?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I haven't had a bad ghurka. I love the centurion and legend...had a triple ligero the other day I really enjoyed and also a fan of the regent. The beauty and the titan were ok, just a little boring to me but definitely not bad.
    I am waiting for some Gurka haters to bomb me *hint *hint :)
  • I really liked the Titan, Beauty, and the Grand Reserve. The one I couldnt stand was the Regent. Try a couple more before you count them out.
    Beagronomis:
    I really liked the Titan, Beauty, and the Grand Reserve. The one I couldnt stand was the Regent. Try a couple more before you count them out.
    Well, I can only speak from experience guys. I have had 2 Ghurks and both have been *** sticks. I have two more left in my humi, i will smoke those, and if they don't do any better, then I'm writing Ghurka off.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite Gurkha's is the affordable Symphony. Maybe it just hit me right each time I had one, but give that a try if you find one.
    I would suggest the signature red. That was my first Gurkha ever and it is what brought me to the dark side.