Home Cigar 101

Matches

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Does anyone use them, or have you moved on to more sophisticated lighting styles? I still like to use matches.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• when i go traveling and i dont have my normal stash i use the matches that the cigar shops give.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't generally use them though I think it is a good idea. Always have some in my pocket when I go out, just in case.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I like matches for my pipe. but a torch or bunsen burner for the cigar

Aj
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I use matches, Diamond green light, light anywhere. Use 2 together to toast then 2 to light, burn a little slower and longer when you double them tight.

Now when I was younger we would snap the tips off them, think they were blue tips then. Take about a foot or so of toilet paper and wrap them up in a ball. Cover with tin foil and poke a whole with a pencil. Toss it pretty hard against a wall or floor makes a pretty good smoke bomb. Wonder if it still works or have they made my matches too safe now.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    I use matches, Diamond green light, light anywhere. Use 2 together to toast then 2 to light, burn a little slower and longer when you double them tight.

Now when I was younger we would snap the tips off them, think they were blue tips then. Take about a foot or so of toilet paper and wrap them up in a ball. Cover with tin foil and poke a whole with a pencil. Toss it pretty hard against a wall or floor makes a pretty good smoke bomb. Wonder if it still works or have they made my matches too safe now.
    still works... but never made the smoke bomb thing... just the other. wrap that same ball you made in a whole roll of duct tape then toss and see what happens.

Aj
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:

I use the same matches.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of using matches but I'm not that skilled at it. I like to slow toast my cigars. I can't pay attention to the match and the cigar at the same time so then I just reach for a lighter. If I was forced to use only matches I'd probably get pretty good at it. I might take up ten or twenty matches to toast one like I like it but I'd get it done eventually.

Speaking of improvised explosives from our childhood. Do y'all remember the roll caps for the old cap guns? You ever take a hammer and make a whole roll go off at once? It's probably why I can't hear so well.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the patience for matches...I will always have some as back up but lighters these days are easy and reliable
    Money can't buy taste
    Bob Luken:
    Speaking of improvised explosives from our childhood. Do y'all remember the roll caps for the old cap guns? You ever take a hammer and make a whole roll go off at once? It's probably why I can't hear so well.

Yup, used to do that too, ever make firecrackers from a roll of caps?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Bob Luken:

Nope but we used to empty out the powder of a couple dozen firecrackers into a little pile a light it up. It's a wonder we survived childhood. LOL.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Bob Luken:

hahahaa I did that till I was old enough to drive to china town and get the quarter sticks
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Jimmy and Jeff next door were budding rocket men, bout my age. The boys spent months scraping and collecting match tips, cap powder, firecracker guts, until they had a beer can full. This was back when beer cans were steel, and you opened them with a church key. Waited for their mother to be gone, popped church key holes all around the circle, set the thing up on two bricks in the yard, then Jimmy stuck a match under. Heard a BANG, ran outside, and there were the two boys capering and hooting. Their rocket sure enough disappeared. Once the capering settled down, Jimmy noticed his hand was black. Not all black; there was some red running. Jeff had a couple shrapnel wounds too. Mom brought them in our kitchen and cleaned their cuts up. Used lots of iodine, cause I think iodine's how mothers taught boys to be more careful back then.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Bob Luken:

Speaking of firecrackers...have you ever lit a firecracker and thrown it toward your uncle during his golf backswing? My brother-in-law did that...once.
    benhanks:
    The3Stogies:
    Bob Luken:

Speaking of firecrackers...have you ever lit a firecracker and thrown it toward your uncle during his golf backswing? My brother-in-law did that...once.

Then did your uncle tee off on the ball or your brother in law?
  • benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    benhanks:
    The3Stogies:
    Bob Luken:

Then did your uncle tee off on the ball or your brother in law?
    I can say for sure that no words were needed, that look he got was priceless!