Home Cigar 101

Punch cutter cause burn problems?

mb92755mb92755 Posts: 34
I'm still new, trying different things, and used a punch cutter on almost everything for a while. I seemed to have lots of canoeing and tunneling on just about everything I smoked. The cutter is a .30 caliber casing that a coworker sharpened for me and most of my smokes are robustos.

I stopped using it and went back to my pocket knife to get a bigger opening and I seem to be getting better, more consistent burn now.

Was the punch the issue or is it my imagination?
Mike

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Those are things that a cut cannot affect. It could be you draw on that cut differently and smoke to fast.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I mainly use a punch as well and it does not seem because of the punch but the cigar its self
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Those are things that a cut cannot affect. It could be you draw on that cut differently and smoke to fast.
    +1, what cigar are you smoking?
  • i always assumed it was due to the quality of the the tobacco and the quality of it being made.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    or too slow.
    never saw a cigar tunnel when smoking to fast. that usually produced a giant cone.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    W1REB1TER:
    i always assumed it was due to the quality of the the tobacco and the quality of it being made.
    for the most part this is true. if a cigar is not rolled correctly the burn can be off. this is usually a binder issue but it can also be an issue of where the Ligero is placed, how much ligero there is, and how thick some of the leaves are. if they are bunched incorrectly, either too tight or too lose the cigar will burn too past or too slow in relation to the other parts of the cigar.
  • mb92755mb92755 Posts: 34
    mmccartneydc:
    catfishbluezz:
    +1, what cigar are you smoking?

What have I been smoking? I think the AB seconds have been an issue. I believe they are Mundial seconds from what I can tell. Nicaraguan seconds, even my Flor de Oliva original have been less but sometimes an issue. Those have been my regulars lately.

I don't smoke very fast. If anything, I'm slow. Most everything I do smoke requires me to keep my lighter handy for when it starts to canoe pretty bad.
    Mike