Home General Discussion

Carbonation

Do you think a certain beverage can make or break a cigar experience. I find fizzy pop really detracts from it. A spicy cigar with a carbonated beverage makes it harsh on my throat. I prefer iced tea with lemonade or a cappo.

Comments

• D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I have really started to prefer bourbon with a cigar. I've always been more of a beer drinker and so I've had beer with cigars before and haven't had it detract from my experience. But I do think a good bourbon enhances my experience nowadays. I haven't begun trying to pair anything specific though.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other the A&W Root-beer Floats I stopped drinking carbonated drinks long ago, and I may drink a case of beer per year. I found that fizzy stuff interferes with a lot of flavors. But beer does seem to make some food better.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    D Fresh:
    I have really started to prefer bourbon with a cigar. I've always been more of a beer drinker and so I've had beer with cigars before and haven't had it detract from my experience. But I do think a good bourbon enhances my experience nowadays. I haven't begun trying to pair anything specific though.
    +1 Bourbon. Woodford, Angels Envy, Buffalo Trace.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmhhhhhh I kinda like sprite dr pepper and coke with cigars...I find the carbonation helps clean my pallet
    Money can't buy taste
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Mmmmhhhhhh I kinda like sprite dr pepper and coke with cigars...I find the carbonation helps clean my pallet
    The same three sodas I prefer. Beer or water also. I have found some heavier beers take away from the flavor of a cigar also, in my opinion.
  • benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I typically have a couple of things with my cigar. Normally coke and bourbon. NOT mixed together!. I find that more full bodied cigars pair well with higher proof bourbons. I think they really complement each other.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm only trying to taste the cigar and only get the profile of it, the I stick with water or lemon water. If I'm just there to smoke and enjoy without trying to pick apart the cigar and body a profile then either Coje, or beer or bourbon/whiskey/scotch.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm an oddball.
    I really like Root Beer or Sarsparilla with a lot of my cigars, especially cameroons.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I guess I'm an oddball.
    I really like Root Beer or Sarsparilla with a lot of my cigars, especially cameroons.
    That actually makes sense to me though Tony, the sweet and mild spice of sasparilla especially makes a lot of sense and I could see how the seer Cameroon wrapper pairs well with those drinks. Cool idea might have to try it sometime.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Sierra Mist too, think it's the citrus base. Coke, Pepsi all of them are citrus based aren't they? I do prefer un-carbonated beverages though now that you bring it up, like coffee, tea or whiskey, even water. Always have a glass of sipping water with them too.