Home Cigar 101

Why can't this be a humidor...

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
....it certainly looks like it could.

imageimage

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    My opus X box was like that.... and you probably could use them as a humidor... but the capacity is soooo small. think of the effort that goes into maintaining it.

Aj
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    My opus X box was like that.... and you probably could use them as a humidor... but the capacity is soooo small. think of the effort that goes into maintaining it.

Aj

But think of it this way....take out the top row of cigars and put them in the big humidor. Season and keep the rest in their own box....put the box where it will be safe from prying eyes and sticky fingers...perfect aging vessel. And and you could leave it out just to show off.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't trust it. Maybe it would work but I'd want to check it every day. I just don't trust it.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj

But think of it this way....take out the top row of cigars and put them in the big humidor. Season and keep the rest in their own box....put the box where it will be safe from prying eyes and sticky fingers...perfect aging vessel. And and you could leave it out just to show off.
    I follow ya on that... and i agree that keeping them away from prying fingers. And I betcha it probably would work rather well. But I can also bet you will be changing the boveda once a week trying to keep it moist. My diesel delirium came in a baddass box that i wanted to do that too. within a week it had warped so much from trying to keep it juicy inside and the hot dry desert wind licking its *** all day. was a lost cause. Looks much better with all my wifes make-up inside now.

Aj
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I like it but like what others are saying ...if it works then it would make for a great table top humidor. Wouldn't take a lot to test it.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Do the dollar test...
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a handful of small humidors, but they became too much work to check and regulate. I have consolidated almost everything into a large cooler now. If your conditions are good and you can trust it for long periods, it would make a good aging box. Up here in the NE, the seasons bring big swings in RH. The cooler stays spot on, but the desktops were just too much work.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Coolidor all the way. Toss in a few boveda 65 and good to go. Never buying a humidor ever again. End of story.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    My next 'dor will be a coolidor.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    I used to have a handful of small humidors, but they became too much work to check and regulate. I have consolidated almost everything into a large cooler now. If your conditions are good and you can trust it for long periods, it would make a good aging box. Up here in the NE, the seasons bring big swings in RH. The cooler stays spot on, but the desktops were just too much work.
    I'm with your Sherm. I'm ditching all but my "good" desktops and moving the sticks from the "bad" ones into coolers. I remember the ones that failed me last winter and they are benched for the season. Maybe I can keep spare cello and bands in them.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got several boxes like that. Use them for aging home rolled. You can tell when they seal well. I have a travelling hygro I drop in from time to time. They all do an OK job. When RH settles where it should be, I set these boxes inside a big cooler. Would not trust one long term without a pillow; but good enough for seasoning.

But like someone said, they don't hold a lot. It works for me cause I have a special use for each box. One box holds three dozen of one blend, another holds three dozen of another blend. They are packed to the max; I'm not looking for something different at the bottom of one. Not like my humidor, where I lift the tray to get at the Colosseums.

Best I have found for long term ersatz humi is this one:

Look at the ruler. The **** on that mamacita is an inch and a half high! Best seal ever. And the aroma inside is fantastic. I use this box to hold home rolled I receive from other FairTradeTobacco members. Works as well as any humi in the arsenal. One buck at the B&M. 6" W x 4 1/2" H x 9" L

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)