Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone Growing Peanuts?

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just for grins, 2 years ago we put in a row of peanuts and the yield surprised everyone. The only "bad" part was the cleaning after digging them up. They were big, a lot of them were 3 nuts, and very tasty. Still have a mason jar full of them in the pantry.

Comments

• jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can honestly say that I've never considered that one. I might have to when the next garden crop goes in.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To cool at night in these mountains to grow peanuts, sweet potatoes and okra. Everything else grows good.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    To cool at night in these mountains to grow peanuts, sweet potatoes and okra. Everything else grows good.

Okra.....? Why on earth would anybody want to grow okra on purpose...?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    how hard is it to grow peanuts? never tried... Grow tons and tons of Green and Red Chile though

Aj
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    First Warrior:

Cut, dust with flour, fry till golden brown, eat till your sick....repeat. Love fried okra.
    One God, One Truth
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smash the young okra pod, dip it in egg, and then cornmeal and FRY it. Stewed okra is kind of slimey.
    THREADJACKERS

This thread is about peanuts, not about the worst thing ever promoted as food.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    THREADJACKERS

This thread is about peanuts, not about the worst thing ever promoted as food.
    No that would be balogna

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    jd50ae:
    First Warrior:

Cut, dust with flour, fry till golden brown, eat till your sick....repeat. Love fried okra.
    Amen to the fried okra! Any other way, I'm not interested.

Sorry JD, back to the peanut gallery. I do love me some nutts (yea if you think that sounds bad you should see what I was going to say but figured I'd keep it PG)
  • Pickle them pods. Them's good eating.
    OMG

Have you had BOILED PEANUTS? what is this magical fruit ive never had before! its sooo freaking good!

Where can I get some?

Aj
    Ingredients

1 pound of raw "green" peanuts (not the color green, but fresh raw peanuts which are called green peanuts)
    1/4 cup kosher salt (or 2 Tbsp table salt)
    4 cups water

Optional seasoning

2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning, smoked paprika, shrimp boil mix, or even star anise
    HOT PEPPER

Method

1 Thoroughly rinse raw unshelled peanuts in water.
    2 Put water, salt, seasoning, peanuts in a large stockpot. Bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce the heat just enough to maintain a low boil. Boil for 2 to 3 hours or longer (some boil their peanuts all day), until peanuts reach desired level of softness.
    3 Drain. Eat up within a couple of days. Boiled peanuts don't save as well as dry.
    jd50ae:
    Ingredients

1 pound of raw "green" peanuts (not the color green, but fresh raw peanuts which are called green peanuts)
    1/4 cup kosher salt (or 2 Tbsp table salt)
    4 cups water

Optional seasoning

2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning, smoked paprika, shrimp boil mix, or even star anise
    HOT PEPPER

Method

1 Thoroughly rinse raw unshelled peanuts in water.
    2 Put water, salt, seasoning, peanuts in a large stockpot. Bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce the heat just enough to maintain a low boil. Boil for 2 to 3 hours or longer (some boil their peanuts all day), until peanuts reach desired level of softness.
    3 Drain. Eat up within a couple of days. Boiled peanuts don't save as well as dry.
    my hero!

Aj
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I work for peanuts.