Home General Discussion

I'm a brand new cigar smoker. Help me to get started. Thanks in advance!

Hello everybody!  My name is Steve.  I am new to the world of cigars.  I have sampled many, many cigars over the years, on various occasions, but just in passing.  Since deciding to become serious about cigars (a couple of weeks ago), I have smoked the following cigars:

Arganese Maduro Robusto

5 Vegas ‘A’ Apotheosis
Gurkha Class Regent Torpedo
HC Series Maduro Belicoso
Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project Toro
Sosa Robusto

I can truly say that aside from the nasty, cheap, convenience store type, I have never smoked a cigar that I didn't like.  I would truly like some direction and develop my palate so as to learn to truly appreciate a good cigar and eventually become a connoisseur.

Questions, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again everybody and nice to meet you all.

Comments

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here myself and am also a new cigar enthusiast. I probably couldn't give you much advice. I've been purchasing samplers and seeing what I like in them. You should introduce yourself in the Newbie Welcoming Thread. It's also in the general discussion thread, I'll bump it for you. I hope you stick around here, there are a lot of great people here, I'm sure you'll fit right in.
  • Thank you very much.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samplers is probably the best thing for new folks.
    Until you get accustomed to what you like and have a handle on your tastes, it might be wise to shy away from box purchases.
    The reason being, is that your tastes will change over time and while a box of cigars may be worth trading stock, it is probably real estate you might not have in your humi.

After a while, your tastes will settle down and you will get a ball park of what you like and don't like.
    But it may be that your tastes will continue to change, especially as you discover new cigars.

And even as long as I've been smoking cigars and as much information is out there, I discover new cigars all the time.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on samplers and you can get some great deals right here. With samplers you are not committed to an entire box. If you don't like something you will have a few items to throw up for trade or bombs. There are some brands that if you do invest in a box and dislike them people will jump on and buy or trade easily. Other sticks not so much.

Read what guys are talking a lot about and check out some reviews. Eventually you will figure out who you have similar taste to and can kind of go by what they recommend and what they are currently smoking now. Some reviews are just dumb like in Cigar Aficionado with the taste of snauzberry twigs at twilight with a hoot owl snoring near by.

You can always ask opinions or do a search here on a brand you are considering.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my two cents on a couple of subjects. Dont feel like you need a wooden humidor right away. You'll be fine with a heavy duty ziploc bag with a 65% Boveda packet inside there with your cigars. This will give you time to shop around and also to realize that you probably should get a humidor that is rated for at least 120 to 150. You would end up out growing a 25 to 50 count very quickly. Look into unconventional storage methods too like tupperdors and coolidors. Next thing to consider is One piece of equipment you will want to have pretty soon,..... a good digital hygrometer. Xikar, Hygroset, Credo and CaLiber 4R are good ones. The ones that come with your average humidor are not that good. And also buy a "good" cutter. Xikar Xi2 (nuff said) Cheap cutters will ruin good cigars. The cheap ones can end up pinching and mashing and tearing the cigar. This would ruin an otherwise pleasant smoke session.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Great advice fellas and welcome Steve. The only thing that I would add to this is that it appears that you prefer maduros so, if I am not mistaken, I think ccom has a maduro madness sampler or something similar. That may be a great start for you! Again welcome and feel free to ask questions!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    what will get you started?
    read every thread this forum has ever posted.

all joking aside, this forum has a ton of information. use the search feature in the top right corner of the forum and you can find just about anything. if you cant find it, just ask. there are a ton of people here that know whats going on. there are several people that have cigar blogs that are on this site and there are several people that have connections in the business that provide some serious insight.
    also, whenever you see a post by Alex Svenson, pay attention to it. the guy is brilliant and has the inside scoop. i mean, as chief merchant of cigar.com he better know whats up.

if you have a few hours to kill, just follow the link in my signature line and read some of the links it sends you to. on a few of them i recommend reading the entire thread because many of them have info buried deep in the thread. (the holiday pass ones are a great demonstration of the generosity of the people here but reading those is not informative really. )
  • benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Welcome Steve, tons of good info here. I am new to the forum myself and everyone has been very welcoming!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Steve, just smoke em up, try all you can and have fun with it. +1 on the samplers, and work with CCOM rep's on the phone too. If you find 1 you really like buy a 5-pack and put a few away for a while then try them again after a few months or a year.
    5-Vegas, MOW, DP Garcia, you can't go wrong with those samplers, IMHO.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve S.:

Hello everybody!  My name is Steve.

Hello, Steve.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    #1 rule any new guy must know that I don't see mentioned is...never buy from Thompson. Trust me when I say that Ccom is best place to get cigars online.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    #1 rule any new guy must know that I don't see mentioned is...never buy from Thompson. Trust me when I say that Ccom is best place to get cigars online.
    +1 Thompson sucks!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Steve S.:

Hello everybody!  My name is Steve.

Hello, Steve.

Hi Steve, use the message feature to send me your name and addy and I will get you a current copy of our newsletter which is very informative!!
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure he actually stuck around.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #bounce
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Hello. The friendliness around here is intimidating. But we all mean well.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youre gunna like us...

...or ELSE!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    OH!!!! He said the T word!!
    One that must not be mentioned. Shame on you.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    kuzi16:
    youre gunna like us...

...or ELSE!

+1
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve Saka don't you lie to us with your fancy smancy unicos
  • Iceberg04Iceberg04 Posts: 64
    welcome to the forum! I am also new but everyone on this site that I have had the chance to talk to have been very nice. good luck to you and if you come across a stick you like let me know! ill be sure to do the same!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Krieg:
    How else would he know if I didn't mention it?

"Long ashes my friends."

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    $20 says this guy hasn't read a word of this.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
    I think he didn't like us! If you click on his name you get an error. I think he is gone too.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    0patience:
    Krieg:
    How else would he know if I didn't mention it?
    I was chastised for using the T word once. As in this case, it was hardly a glowing review.