Home Non Cigar Related

Dem Conn. State Rep Arrested For Allegedly Voting 19 Times

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
By: Thomas Lifson (The American Thinker)

Democrats and the dominant media assure us that vote fraud doesn’t exist, so we certainly don’t need voter ID, and in fact it would be racist to demand as much proof of identity as is necessary to board an airplane or buy a drink. Nevertheless, a Democrat state representative in Connecticut was arrested for allegedly voting 19 times.

The New Haven Register (hat tip: Weasel Zippers) reports:

State Rep. Christina “Tita” Ayala, D-Bridgeport, was arrested Friday on 19 voting fraud charges.

Ayala, 31, is accused of voting in local and state elections in districts she did not live, the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office said in a press release.

According to the Connecticut Post, Ayala’s mother, Santa, was also investigated by the Elections Enforcement Commission. The commission also recommended criminal charges be filed against Santa Ayala, the Democratic registrar of voters in Bridgeport, but none have been filed as of Friday.

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    This doesnt seem to confirm voter fraud any more than it ever has taken place on rare occasions-----what it does however, is continue to solidify the thought that the elected officals are the real criminals.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    This doesnt seem to confirm voter fraud any more than it ever has taken place on rare occasions-----what it does however, is continue to solidify the thought that the elected officals are the real criminals.

True. Although she may have been inspired by Robert Monroe, a 50-year-old white Republican health executive in Wisconsin accused of voting a dozen times in 2011 and 2012, including seven times against the the recalls of Republicans Scott Walker and ally Alberta Darling.

Or, she might have been inspired by Republican Adam Ward of Virginia, guilty of 36 counts of voter fraud when he faked signatures to try to get Newt Gingrich on the 2012 presidential primary bid ballot.

Or, she might have been inspired by Charlie White, Indiana’s former Republican secretary of state, found guilty on six counts of voter fraud, theft, and perjury in 2012.

Or, the staff of Congressman Thaddeus McCotter (R-MI) who were indicted in 2012 for submitting more than 1,500 “forged and falsified” signatures.

Yep, the solution to all these white people committing voter fraud is simple--create draconian voter ID rules that disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of minorities and poor people.

Of course, if these people still register, you can do what Florida Republicans did and illegally toss ten of thousands of African Americans and Hispanics off the voting rolls in 2000 in their successful effort to throw the election to George W. Bush.

Let's face it--today's electoral fraud cases are a pale shadow of what they were when mayors like Richard Daley were able to resurrect dead voters to throw Illinois to Kennedy in 1960.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Cheese is good
    You know it and so do I Raisin------sadly, it is a lossing battle with a large number of society however.
    I just do refute this stuff simply for the fun of it, Vulchor. I don't take any of these political volleys seriously at all. Life is far too short to get violently upset by words on a screen, unless there's specific racial or religious attacks involved, which, fortunately, are absent here. As Rain says, cheese is a very good thing. :)
    So, serious question...what are the arguments for/against requiring voter id?
    And the numbers are growing by leaps and bounds. You can't fool everyone. Why, even cnn is catching up.
    Rain:
    So, serious question...what are the arguments for/against requiring voter id?

I can think of so many reasons to produce an ID, and proving you are a legal, law abiding American citizen in order to participate in our most important right should be No. 1. The argument that it is somehow racist is spurious at best, and in fact makes no sense at all. There were so many illegal immigrants with fake drivers licensees and library cards the whole process is becoming a joke. In TN at least I Have to show a voter registration card.
    But in theory, if you can get a fake dl you could get a fake voters card, right?
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In states that are passing these laws, they are requiring certain forms of identification to be allowed to vote. Usually a passport or state issued drivers license or identification card. Other forms of ID like school, work, or medical are no longer being accepted, even though they have been valid forms of ID in the past. The argument against it is that some voters are unable to afford a state issued ID or have difficultly with mobility keeping them from being able to obtain one. The poor and elderly are far less likely to have a state ID which is where the claims that these laws are targeting an aspect of society that is vulnerable and tends to vote Democratic. The other side says that people should have ID if they want to vote and to keep voter fraud from happening. There isn't rampant voter fraud, though. I think in the last election it was around one percent of one percent and some people are also arguing that they are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Personally, I feel that if a state wants to make voters be required to present a state ID, they should provide that ID free of charge and make it for the election after the most recent one. Since this is an election year, make it be required after this November for the Presidential elections in 2016.
    If they have a mobility problem to get an id, don't they have a mobility problem to vote? As for not having a dl or state id...it's pretty hard to do much of anything without one. Not many places accept a school id, library card etc etc as a valid id...certainly can't buy a drink or smokes with one, and IMO voting is more important than that stuff. I don't relly think it will curb voter fraud one way or the other though. Bigger fish to fry
    You can get an absentee ballot if you have health problems that keep you from going to vote or don't live in a district with enough voters to warrant a voting station,I vote with an absentee ballot because there aren't enough voters in my area. If the idea is to just prove who you are, why wouldn't a school ID or work ID be enough? I opened a bank account with a school and work ID, the bank thought it was enough to prove who I am.
    I looked up the bank account stuff after I posted, and you are correct. Because you can open your own "business" and print IDs that mean...what? Globo Gym says you are John Smith? I did the absentee ballot while deployed...after showing my federal id card.
    Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal. I'm more amazed that there are people (how many? what percentage of us citizens?) who don't have a state id, state dl or federal ID...just seemed like something you got because you need one. I use mine several times a day. How in the hell did they identify people in the 1800s?
    I understand what you are saying. I just don't think that most people are going out of their way to commit voter fraud, statistics show that voter fraud is very uncommon. I agree with you that voting is very important and I feel that too many Americans are not exercising their civic duty with regards to voting.I don't disagree that voters should be required to prove who they are when registering to vote. I guess my main point from earlier was that if a state wants voters to only use their state issued IDs, they should be provided to registered voters for free.
    I feel like if they make IDs free they'll raise DMV costs or something to get the money back...I agree though, if required it should be free
    I think it should come out of the Election Fund and only be provided for free to registered voters.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    ... draconian voter ID rules that disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of minorities and poor people.
    Raisindot, that's twice now you have referred to a voter ID as "draconian". What the hell is excessively harsh or severe about an ID? What makes it harder for poor minorities to get an ID than for me? How many of them drink or smoke? Don't they need ID for that? Don't those same supposedly hundreds of thousands of minorities and poor people need an ID to collect welfare? To go to school? To get married? To drive? To work? What, do "hundreds of thousands of poor an minorities" live in complete social vacuum? Or is this just silly exaggeration?

How do we make the leap from no ID to poor and minority anyway? I'd think the citizen with the greatest challenge to securing an ID would be elderly in nursing homes.

I mean, do you ever stop to think how absurd is this party line before parroting it? It's an ID. It's not a poll tax. It's not the twe;ve labors of Hercules. You want to vote as a citizen, show you're a citizen. The hell is wrong with that?

Again: Are you afraid you can't win election without voter fraud?

sometimes... sheesh
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    You need ID to buy tobacco, alcohol, house, car, firearms, boats, cash a check, transact banking services, drive a motor vehicle, use your credit card, use your debit card, file for unemployment, file for any type of social service, sign up with most utilities for the 1st time are just a few things you have to show an approved ID for.
    People would find it difficult to survive in today's age without an ID. You would almost have to be completely "off the grid" to go IDless. It would not be an infringement on the poor or any minority to show an ID to vote.

Will it stop voter fraud????? Prolly not, but it is a step in the right direction
    Being poor with no ID would disenfranchise me.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    My state has had vote-by-mail for almost 20 years now with almost no fraud detected, and solves many of the challenges other states have such as early voting conflicts, long lines, etc. The only voter fraud to happen recently was a Republican monitor who was caught changing people's votes, which would not have been prevented by ID regulations of any kind.

This is just the new red scare perpetuated by folks who lack any real solutions to problems so they make up new enemies to frighten their political bases. Most of these restrictions are simply transparent efforts to harm the "enemy" party. The requirement for ID can be burdensome, hell, the last time I had to renew my DL it took 2 hours on the phone and 45 bucks to get my birth certificate (which I used my old DL as proof of who I am) to prove who I am and it was only that quick because I know the system and who to call, most people don't; then it took another 4 hours of form filling and waiting and 55 bucks to get my new DL. So if I lived in one of those states with the ID requirements I'd have effectively paid a poll tax of 100 bucks and if I was in an hourly or commissioned job I'd have lost a full day of work just to qualify to exercise a RIGHT. That's the objection, it disenfranchises the poor because they often cannot afford the fees, or more often the time to sit in a government office to get an ID. And frankly, there are enough voters in this country to make the scale of fraud need to be HUGE to have any effect on national races. It's utter nonsense.

This is also the circular stupidity of these regulations: my old DL was required to prove who I am to get my birth cert to prove who I am to get my new DL, for which my old DL was not adequate proof of who I am.
    perkinke:
    ..., the last time I had to renew my DL it took 2 hours on the phone and 45 bucks to get my birth certificate (which I used my old DL as proof of who I am) to prove who I am and it was only that quick because I know the system and who to call, most people don't; then it took another 4 hours of form filling and waiting and 55 bucks to get my new DL. So if I lived in one of those states with the ID requirements I'd have effectively paid a poll tax of 100 bucks and if I was in an hourly or commissioned job I'd have lost a full day of work just to qualify to exercise a RIGHT. ... This is also the circular stupidity of these regulations: my old DL was required to prove who I am to get my birth cert to prove who I am to get my new DL, for which my old DL was not adequate proof of who I am.
    I remember that crock! Sterling nonsense from DHS, about a new driver license sposed to stop terrorists in their tracks. I had to do the same thing: took my driver license to a notary to send a form to the state I was born in to get a birth certificate to take to the DMV to get a driver license. Yep. That ought to do it.
    DHS:
    Preventing terrorists from obtaining state-issued identification documents is critical to securing America against terrorism. As the 9/11 Commission noted, "For terrorists, travel documents are as important as weapons." The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States, at 384 (2004).

Secure driver's licenses and identification documents are a vital component of a holistic national security strategy. Law enforcement must be able to rely on government-issued identification documents and know that the bearer of such a document is who he or she claims to be. Obtaining fraudulent identification documents presents an opportunity for terrorists to board airplanes, rent cars, open bank accounts, or conduct other activities without being detected. The 9/11 Commission recommended that the Federal Government work with other layers of government to solidify the security of government-issued documents. Securing state-issued identification documents is a common-sense national security and law enforcement imperative, which also helps to combat identity fraud and illegal immigration.
    ... but that might disenfranchise poor and minority terrorists. Dangling chads.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    raisindot:
    ... draconian voter ID rules that disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of minorities and poor people.
    Raisindot, that's twice now you have referred to a voter ID as "draconian". What the hell is excessively harsh or severe about an ID? What makes it harder for poor minorities to get an ID than for me? How many of them drink or smoke? Don't they need ID for that? Don't those same supposedly hundreds of thousands of minorities and poor people need an ID to collect welfare? To go to school? To get married? To drive? To work? What, do "hundreds of thousands of poor an minorities" live in complete social vacuum? Or is this just silly exaggeration?

How do we make the leap from no ID to poor and minority anyway? I'd think the citizen with the greatest challenge to securing an ID would be elderly in nursing homes.

I mean, do you ever stop to think how absurd is this party line before parroting it? It's an ID. It's not a poll tax. It's not the twe;ve labors of Hercules. You want to vote as a citizen, show you're a citizen. The hell is wrong with that?

sometimes... sheesh

Because, Webmost, voter fraud isn't a problem in the U.S. A group of journalism students conducted a study and found that were around 2,000 ALLEDGED (not proven) cases of voter fraud ACROSS THE COUNTRY over the past decade. Two thousand votes out of several hundred million is hardly going to tip any election other than your local dog catcher one way or the other.

The GOP is trying to create an illusion that voter fraud is a huge problem. It isn't. What the problem for them is that the people who don't photo IDs to vote are more likely to vote against them.

Also, the Republican make it very difficult for the poor to get such IDs. Many states require two or more forms of ID:

Passport. How many poor people travel outside the U.S. and can pay $150 for a passport?

Driver's license. Many poor people don't drive, and many can't afford the money to apply for a license even if they could.

State IDs. Many states require"non copied"l birth certificates, original social security cards and other hard-to-get documentation. Ever tried to get an original birth certificate from the state where you were born? I did. Would've taken about three hours of paperwork and over $100. I said to hell with it.

Work photo IDs: Many companies don't offer them. Certainly smaller companies wouldn't.

Signed lease. Many of the poor live in public housing or live in non-leased housing and don't have such documentation.

Now, if all of these Republicans said that anyone without a driver's license or state ID could get a free photo Voter ID card at their local post office simply by presenting 1) a piece of mail addressed to them at their current location and 2) Some kind of "official such as a copy of a birth certificate, an original Social Security Card, last year's tax return, or a letter from an employer, parole officer, or local official testifying that they live at a certain address, then I'd be okay with requiring such a voter ID. But that's not what the GOP wants. They want to make it as hard as possible for the poor to get these IDs, and use the non-existent threat of voter fraud as their rationale.

This whole GOP "voter fraud" issue was nowhere on the GOP radar until Obama won both of his elections--by pluralities of which few incidental cases of voter fraud had any effect--in large part by winning the votes of minorities and the poor. Believe me, if these same poor minorities started voting Republican, the GOP would remove all these photo ID laws in a second and drive these people to the polls themselves.
    raisindot:
    webmost:
    raisindot:

sometimes... sheesh

Because, Webmost, voter fraud isn't a problem in the U.S.
    This SHOULD be realized by all and start and end the debate. Again though, the powers that be want us discussing this instead of real issues that could cause people to become more informed----which is a fear of the powerful.
    Vulchor:
    raisindot:
    webmost:
    raisindot:

sometimes... sheesh

Because, Webmost, voter fraud isn't a problem in the U.S.
    This SHOULD be realized by all and start and end the debate. Again though, the powers that be want us discussing this instead of real issues that could cause people to become more informed----which is a fear of the powerful.
    Which the non-issue would go away if you stopped fighting voter ID tooth and nail like it's some "draconian" way to cheat "hundreds of thousands of" poor people who you claim don't have gumption enough to get a simple ID but are way so eager to vote, and just accept that there's no more wrong with the idea of an ID to vote than an ID for any other function of modern life. Let people pass the ID laws which so many are in favor of, and move on. Just because it is not some crucial measure to solve some imaginary grand problem does not make it unreasonable in and of itself. It won't make the difference. At this point, Democrats have bought the votes in question with public debt and reverse racism. They don't rely nearly so much on machine politics, white racism, and voter fraud as they once did.

Unless you are afraid you cannot win an election without fraud. I disagree. Let this pass and show you can.

So you are suggesting, in fact stating, that all elections by Democrats are won due to instances of fraud... correct?
    The corollary would be to let this issue go, and prove Repubs can win by not disenfranchising voters. You do see it is an ideological debate-----------and as I said before, one with no need aside from making some people feel good. Fixes none of the real problems we face. Abortion, pot legalization, death penalty, gay marriage-----all pointless emotional issues that keep people away from facts and figures, and ultimately the realization the majority of society has grown to accept getting porked in the rear.
    Most everyone suspected fraud, but these numbers prove it and our government and media refuse to do anything about it.

As each state reported their final election details, the evidence of voter fraud is astounding. Massive voter fraud has been reported in areas of OH and FL, with PA, WI and VA, all are deploying personnel to investigate election results.

Here are just a few examples of what has surfaced with much more to come.

* In 59 voting districts in the Philadelphia region, Obama received 100% of the votes with not even a single vote recorded for Romney. (A mathematical and statistical impossibility).

* In 21 districts in Wood County Ohio, Obama received 100% of the votes where GOP inspectors were illegally removed from their polling locations - and not one single vote was recorded for Romney. (Another statistical impossibility).

* In Wood County Ohio, 106,258 voted in a county with only 98,213 eligible voters.

* In St. Lucie County, FL, there were 175,574 registered eligible voters but 247,713 votes were cast.

* The National SEAL Museum, a polling location in St. Lucie County, FL had a 158% voter turnout.

* Palm Beach County, FL had a 141% voter turnout.

* In Ohio County, Obama won by 108% of the total number of eligible voters.

What no one seems to realize is that it doesn't matter who benefits from voter fraud, it is real and it is wrong. The argument the voter ID is some how directed at minorities is false and a very sorry attempt to bring race into the mix. There are poor whites and poor of every background. There is also a huge number of illegal immigrants that get away with voter fraud.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Please cite sources for your information.