Home Non Cigar Related

A+ Certification.... Is it Hard?

I just got offered a job.... making way more money then building race cars.... All the employer requires from me is in a few months I get my A+ Certs....

However, I am not very familiar with IT level stuff. My major was in electronics.. particularly component level design and repair. So to be offered a somewhat IT related job makes me nervous.

Id like some opinions as to if im way in over my head and this is better suited to a computer guy rather then me. I have some fairly decent skills in operating a computer but no formal education in networking or program operations. I have been fairly successful in devloping basic computer related items such as Fuel Injection computers and Data logging equipment, but never any of the office style stuff with remote printers or any of that Jazz.

So if any of you gents have any experiance with this I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice or slanders! LOL

Aj

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Passing the test is relatively easy if you study for it. Knowing the material and using it in practical application only comes with experience. If the employer is wiling to invest in you, then building a race engine is every bit as challenging as building and maintaining a PC. The networking stuff is on a different exam the network+ and it's much tougher. I took exam prep classes that made passing it easy breezy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Anyone can pass A+ so don't be nervous. You will need to study and read a book or two but it's worth obtaining. You can do it bro and if you need any help, let us know.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A+ is basic computer operation, assembly and testing. Its super easy to get through. I did it while I was still in high school.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Thank you guys sooo much for the info... mechanic stuff... easy.... computer stuff... scares the **** out of me.

I feel somewhat confident now, im going to order the A+ book for dummys on amazon.

going to feel very strange putting down the wrench to pick up a suitcase again.

Thanks again guys, I needed some smart opinions and this place always has the best!

Aj
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Hey Dr, before you order that book on Amazon, I can send you my ...(Will just want them back whenever your done with them Please)
    "Mike Meyers - Passport CompTIA A+ Certification (220-801 & 220-802) - Fifth Edition" Book, it also comes with a practice exam CD program that is great to practice the test questions (cant remember but think it has a couple of hundred questions to practice)
    And
    My "Test Out" binder I used for study, I bought their A+ program from them (it's over - was a video/question program you get to use for a certain time period then ends) but I printed out all the study pages from it - also has a lot of notes written in it :P

I passed both my A+ exams last year in the high 800's (700-900 to pass each one), I went to a school to get IT certifications only to find out after they cashed the check for $20,000 that it consisted of ... books, headphones, free wi-fi, and use of a computer, there was supposed to be certified instructors/classes and hands on but, well that didn't happen (at least I was able to intern there and work on/fix the schools computers/wiring as well as students computer repairs & builds for real experience), I passed my A+, Net+, & Sec+ on my own with only the mike meyers books, the "Test Out" video/question program series, and .....

Professor Messer's Free YouTube Video's for IT Certifications ... This is a great free video series for most CompTIA IT certifications and can watch/listen to them while doing other stuff :)

Just let me know if you want to borrow them, I can send them out to you Friday morning - no reason for you to spend money on books that I can lend you free, unless you just want to have them when your done (like me - I cant seem to get rid of any book I get, one day maybe I'll have a nice study/office to and be able to have a cool looking library in it :D
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    honorknight7:
    Hey Dr, before you order that book on Amazon, I can send you my ...(Will just want them back whenever your done with them Please)
    "Mike Meyers - Passport CompTIA A+ Certification (220-801 & 220-802) - Fifth Edition" Book, it also comes with a practice exam CD program that is great to practice the test questions (cant remember but think it has a couple of hundred questions to practice)
    And
    My "Test Out" binder I used for study, I bought their A+ program from them (it's over - was a video/question program you get to use for a certain time period then ends) but I printed out all the study pages from it - also has a lot of notes written in it :P

I passed both my A+ exams last year in the high 800's (700-900 to pass each one), I went to a school to get IT certifications only to find out after they cashed the check for $20,000 that it consisted of ... books, headphones, free wi-fi, and use of a computer, there was supposed to be certified instructors/classes and hands on but, well that didn't happen (at least I was able to intern there and work on/fix the schools computers/wiring as well as students computer repairs & builds for real experience), I passed my A+, Net+, & Sec+ on my own with only the mike meyers books, the "Test Out" video/question program series, and .....

Professor Messer's Free YouTube Video's for IT Certifications ... This is a great free video series for most CompTIA IT certifications and can watch/listen to them while doing other stuff :)

Just let me know if you want to borrow them, I can send them out to you Friday morning - no reason for you to spend money on books that I can lend you free, unless you just want to have them when your done (like me - I cant seem to get rid of any book I get, one day maybe I'll have a nice study/office to and be able to have a cool looking library in it :D
    agh i love this place. I really appreciate your offer, as it never seems to amaze me how cool the people are here. Im like you in knowing the power that having a book can be- so i will probably purchase the kit myself, it would be my luck that my kids would trash it or the dog would eat it. but you have guided me to the proper source rather then the 'for dummies" version. If anything, I might ask you for some note or maybe a copy of some information you have. Id never forgive myself if i ruined another mans wealth of information. I know how sensitive I am with my notes and books!

I feel confident now. I can do this! No fear of the computer! Hell, if i can navigate this obsolete forum im half way there! LOL

Aj
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    I got my A+ Cert many moons ago. It was easy to pass. However I was a technician for about a year before taking it.
    I used to say any idiot can pass the test then had an employee a few years ago take it 4 times before passing. I really wish that would have been grounds for termination.
    Hey brother, just decided to check out my "Test Out" account, IT'S STILL ACTIVE :D, going to send you a PM with my account log-in info so you can use it till whenever it stops or your done with it (would love to let you use it, spent over 500 bucks on it and would like to get the money's worth of it :P, it has ....
    A+ (220-801 & 220-802)
    Network+ (N10-005)
    CCNA (200-120) - - - (((BY FAR the hardest course in my opinion)))
    and
    MCITP = windows 7 (70-680)
    video classs and test banks on it
    Go to ... Test Out to look at it, you will need to install "silverlite" to be able to use it, give me a minute to get the PM with account info to ya
    Ok, PM sent with all the account info for you to use. Good Luck Brother :D

EDIT
    if you end up doing Security+, its not on there, I didn't spend the extra to add that one as just the Mike Meyers book and youtube videos did it for me without having to invest another 200 bucks for it on TestOut
    CCNA is a tougher course compared to A+, Net +, Sec+. I had my CCNA and was getting ready to do the CCNP I believe it was. I then decided that spending all day long behind a computer is not for me. If you want to make good money Cisco Certifications are a good way to go.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    avengethis:
    CCNA is a tougher course compared to A+, Net +, Sec+. I had my CCNA and was getting ready to do the CCNP I believe it was. I then decided that spending all day long behind a computer is not for me. If you want to make good money Cisco Certifications are a good way to go.

ya, I spent a while with CCNA really believe I could pass the exam (is the only course I paid an instructor to teach to me) but after hours and hours of sub-netting learning, decided not to spend the couple of hundred ($295.00) on to take the exam as I hated the thought of a "behind the desk" - hard to go from a lifetime in construction & painting to a CCNA position (at least for me lol), even though the pay would end up good later on, but ya... :)
    I just renewed my CCNP in Routing and Switching. My coworker just got his CCIE (about 1200 hours of study). I decided against going further but CCNA can make you bank if you like working on networking. I've been doing it 6 years and now I'm moving on to Security so I'm studying for the Sec+ test.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    james40:
    I just renewed my CCNP in Routing and Switching. My coworker just got his CCIE (about 1200 hours of study). I decided against going further but CCNA can make you bank if you like working on networking. I've been doing it 6 years and now I'm moving on to Security so I'm studying for the Sec+ test.

Get the CISSP after that. Major pita to study for and they try to trick you a lot on the test, but in the end it's worth it if you're going more into the security side, especially with a networking background.
    james40:

james, I also have a Mike Meyers Security+ with CD test bank disk book if you want to borrow it ?
    I forgot which Cisco test it was but my friend go the certification that I think is the top tier. Its a 2 day lab where they give you a bunch of gear and you have to setup and configure it all in a certain amount of time and he had to take it 2 times before he passed. Its just stupid hard but he makes some serious money now that he has it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    CCIE, first time failure rate was 90% or something like that from what I heard about 5-6 years ago.
    allsmokedup:
    james40:

Get the CISSP after that. Major pita to study for and they try to trick you a lot on the test, but in the end it's worth it if you're going more into the security side, especially with a networking background.
    I think i'm going to get a GIAC cert next then move on up to CISSP in a year or two. I still have to keep my CCNP studying as well so I don't lose that.
    honorknight7:
    james, I also have a Mike Meyers Security+ with CD test bank disk book if you want to borrow it ?
    Thanks bro. I already have the Darril Gibson book and I'm about to get his iPhone study app as well.
    Don't forget "Professor Messer" videos on you tube too, they are not the most in depth, but they are great for watching/listening to while doing other stuff, I would just start his videos and let them run through while working on computers and stuff, even just at home while eating/smoking a cigar etc, he has a range of IT related videos to watch/listen to. Great free source of info
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    pair your CCNA with a VCP and a PMP and you are set for a while. I am working on my VCP and my PMP right after that.