Home Cigar 101

Starting a Frigidor/Wineador...need help.

Went to Target today and bought an 18 bottle Thermo-electric Haier wine cooler, on a whim. I have 2lbs of 65% beads, two OUST fans, two digital hydrometers, 275 cigars spread across seven cedar boxes. What else do I need? Am I missing anything? Where is a good place to start?

I am notorious for doing stuff like this...

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    You need distilled water, obviously. For a frigidor that size you shouldn't need nearly that many beads or fans.
  • Don't put anything right on the bottom of the wine fridge,it pools moisture
  • DeputyDeputy Posts: 13
    Ok new questions, after running this baby for about 4 hours, the temp levels out at about 58 to 60 degrees. Too cold?
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Deputy:
    Ok new questions, after running this baby for about 4 hours, the temp levels out at about 58 to 60 degrees. Too cold?
    Hmm... I'm not an expert, as I've never run a wine-ador, but that's definitely a lot colder than I'd want my sticks. I know that those temps are normal for wine, and maybe that's why that's where you're at, but personally I like to keep my sticks at a nice, cozy 70 degrees..

The general rule is 70/70, which I'm sure you know - the point of this, of course, is to maintain a similar atmosphere to where the tobacco originated from... As such, I would have to say Yes - 58-60 is too cold.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    Deputy:

Hmm... I'm not an expert, as I've never run a wine-ador, but that's definitely a lot colder than I'd want my sticks. I know that those temps are normal for wine, and maybe that's why that's where you're at, but personally I like to keep my sticks at a nice, cozy 70 degrees..

The general rule is 70/70, which I'm sure you know - the point of this, of course, is to maintain a similar atmosphere to where the tobacco originated from... As such, I would have to say Yes - 58-60 is too cold.

Its been stable at 66 degrees. This seems a safer temperature, yes?
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    Yea 66 is is much better. I don't think that 60 is that bad. Think i read somewhere that if they get too cold then the cigars won't age.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    BTJR99:
    Yea 66 is is much better. I don't think that 60 is that bad. Think i read somewhere that if they get too cold then the cigars won't age.
    66 is just about right. That's generally my basement temperature where my humidors are. When it hits 75 I get scared.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Deputy:
    Definately too cold, will dry them out and stop aging....
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I wouldn't keep them below 60. However, as long as your RH is ok I don't think it would hurt, per se. It would however slow down their "resting/aging"
  • nickgonzonickgonzo Posts: 146
    I have a 12 bottle vinotemp I got for cheap, the highest it will go is 66.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    You can wire a different thermostat to it, a lot of people have done that on their wineador
    What kind of thermostat are we talking about here and is that something a layman can do? I'm not an electrician
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Deputy:
    What kind of thermostat are we talking about here and is that something a layman can do? I'm not an electrician
    You can get a thermostat that will cut the electricity to the unit when it hits a temp YOU set.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26-tab-reviews.html#tabcontent

Sorry, still can never remember the whole HTML version of a linky
    I am assuming you drill a hole into the back of the unit and this is plug and play???
    Deputy:
    I am assuming you drill a hole into the back of the unit and this is plug and play???
    Yes, or you can just slip it in if the drain hole is a straight shot, or you can see if you have a thick seal on the door you can just lay it in... But essentially as long as you get it in there, you are done!
    Ordered.

Just from the look of it, it appears you plug the unit into the temp controller then the controller into the wall - turn the dial then off I go?
    Deputy:
    Ordered. Just from the look of it, it appears you plug the unit into the temp controller then the controller into the wall - turn the dial then off I go?
    Yessir!

And this way any fridge you technically use can be a humi, even with a compressor you can still keep a good Rh for the fridge won't be on NEARLY as much as usual!
    LOL its already full...