Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel 1961

Finally sat down to smoke this one. It was decent, but didn't wow me at all. I was a bit disappointed. Wrapper, Binder, Filler Review

Comments

• I have to agree. The '61 is a nice cigar and since I got it on special, I'm not kicking myself, but I still haven't found a Patel I really liked. Some of the seasonal blends are ok, but I wouldn't buy a box. I'm not sure if they need to age, but there's just not a ton of complexity. It starts out with a TON of pepper, then tones down to just mostly pepper. I don't get any of the chocolate or fruit that others have talked about.

The one thing I will say is that it's a great looking cigar. From the wrapper to the band, it looks like it comes right out of a catalog (which I guess it does.)
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I fired up a 1961 on Saturday evening. I can't say that I love it, and can't really say I hate it. I had some burn issues and the flavor profile changed fairly quickly. I'll definetly have to try 1 again in the future, weather conditions were in the low 40's so I think I was more concentrating on staying warm.

Injury, have you tried an Olde World Reserve Maduro? It is my 2nd favorite cigar.
  • I got some today and look forward to trying them. I also got some Patel Brothers, which is their other new release. The PB is a darker wrapper and looks better to me, but we will see how they burn. The decade is Rocky's best work so far. I have never seen a BOTL not be impressed with a Decade Torpedo.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would have to say I share the same opinion about the 61. It did start out with lots of pepper then mellowed out, I would try this one again, probably in a different size to see if their is any difference in the taste. I also still wanna try the Patel Brothers cigar, I heard it compares to the Winter Blend 08 that came out while ago.

"Long ashes my friends."

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had the 61 yet, but the Patel Brothers is excellent, I would put it just below the Decade on my list of top smokes. I've really been wanting to try the 61 too, but after reading all these posts I'm not as excited.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Haven't had the 61 yet, but the Patel Brothers is excellent, I would put it just below the Decade on my list of top smokes. I've really been wanting to try the 61 too, but after reading all these posts I'm not as excited.
    Hey Alien, don't get me wrong...the 61 was a good smoke, it was also 40 freaking degrees out that night. I really like the spicy kick it started out with, but it mellowed out after about an inch in and didn't really do much till almost the band point, to me it wasn't a bad smoke, I would smoke another, but probably not buy a box.

"Long ashes my friends."