Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Empire

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Our very own, loveable ROB sent me a huge package and in it was a Empire I. Now I enjoy Gurkha, and those of you who have been around a bit know that I have had most of them and have said one thing or another about each blend. Now these are the newest ones that have come out and I have to say I am impressed.

The #1 has a dark wrapper and a strong pepper smell to it. Probably the strongest out of any gurkha I've sniffed pre-light. The pre draw after I punched it had a bit more pepper than usual for a gurkha so I was really intrigued. Now I just got these, and I think ROB had just got them too, so they are pretty fresh. Upon lighting it and after the first few puffs I was some-what shocked at how-not powerful it was. The flavor is a bit hard for me to tack down but I would guess there was some wood, tobacco, cream, perhaps coffee, and some sweetness to it. The aroma has a nice sweetness to it. The ash held really well as was the burn, almost razor sharp. The cigar stayed some-what mellow (to me) all the way through, but picked up a bit more pepper near the end. There was some harshness after the first ash but it fadded as I slowed down. The flavor stayed constant through out, but I did notice that the tobacco and pepper dominated in the mouth but through the nose I picked up more of a cream, coffee, sweetness. I really can't nail it down. The construction of this cigar was fantastic, as was the draw and the smoke. I will take a guess and say with some rest these will be much better as I notice with many cigars especially the maduro cigars. As I get them, I'll post up more on the Empires 2-6 and the Assassin. I say try it, it's not a bad cigar by any means, though if I had to list a gurkha cigar that would compare to it, I would say the Maqueza (however it's spelled) is a bit stronger. Other than these two cigars from Gurkha I haven't really had any that were very strong.

Comments

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Ah, you lucky dog, or squirrel i guess!

I've been eyeballin the Empire and Assasisn's from the great land of Gurkha. It's good to hear you enjoyed it. Not that there is a Gurkha I won't try, it's just good to hear positive response to them. Now I'm for sure going to have to get some.

CCOM, make an Empire sampler so I can taste them all!!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting on my box of Empire III. If anyone here gets the others of the six blends i.e. I, II, IV, V, or VI I would like to trade so I can try them all. I ordered my box over a month ago and it is still back ordered.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had the same thing when I ordered the micro batches, took forever.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, buddy. And glad you enjoyed that one. Being as fresh as it was (I got them in about 2 or 3 days before I sent them to you), it sounds like they'll improve with some time. I just saw Gurkha's writeup on the Assassin and have been eyeing the Marqueza for a while now. I'd be curious to see your reviews on those as well.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I think I am going to have an Empire I tonight. I would love to get some assassins but I am saving for a box of Opus22. The marqueza was really strong. I've only had one but it was tough on me.
    those are spendy, like 950 bucks, unless you found a cheaper place....
    phobicsquirrel:
    those are spendy, like 950 bucks, unless you found a cheaper place....
    No, not cheaper unfortunately. I heard that the 2009 was supposed to go back to $750 but all evidence I have seen contradicts that.
    you get more from a normal box and cheaper.
    Yeah, but there are some special sizes and maduros too. We'll see. I haven't made up my mind yet. Plus, I would let them age 5 years before I ever smoked one.