Home Cigar 101

Humidity surprise...Question.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now I love experimenting with hygrometers and humidifiers. I have proven to my self that none of the analog hygrometers generally available come close to the dependable accuracy of a digital. So, all of mine are digital.

As far as humidifiers I only use swelly gel types and a few Boveda 69% humi packs.

The types and numbers of gel packs and meters has not changed in a couple of months, and everything was stable.

Here is the surprise. I got very very low on cigars and stalked CBid like a starving bear and made a large purchase (stole most of it) to re-stock before I had to beg.

I normally remove the cello, but in order to get the new cigars in a humidor as quick and as neat as possible I left the cello on. I was going to attend to the cello on a rather leisurely pace. Now, after 2 days the hygrometers have shot up way higher then when the humidors were filled with non-cello cigars. All the folks that keep the cello on say the wrappers allow moisture to penetrate. Since I have no experience with cello wrapped cigars I don't have a clue as to why the humidity reads so much higher.

Anyone?

This message brought to you by The Bradford Time Share and Knapping Society.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Now I love experimenting with hygrometers and humidifiers. I have proven to my self that none of the analog hygrometers generally available come close to the dependable accuracy of a digital. So, all of mine are digital.

As far as humidifiers I only use swelly gel types and a few Boveda 69% humi packs.

The types and numbers of gel packs and meters has not changed in a couple of months, and everything was stable.

Here is the surprise. I got very very low on cigars and stalked CBid like a starving bear and made a large purchase (stole most of it) to re-stock before I had to beg.

I normally remove the cello, but in order to get the new cigars in a humidor as quick and as neat as possible I left the cello on. I was going to attend to the cello on a rather leisurely pace. Now, after 2 days the hygrometers have shot up way higher then when the humidors were filled with non-cello cigars. All the folks that keep the cello on say the wrappers allow moisture to penetrate. Since I have no experience with cello wrapped cigars I don't have a clue as to why the humidity reads so much higher.

Anyone?

This message brought to you by The Bradford Time Share and Knapping Society.
    those cigars may have a higher humidity when they entered your humidor for some reason that you are not aware of. there are a multitude of reasons that it could be higher. were they all (the ones in cello and ones not in cello) the same brand? from the same warehouse? taken on the same rout in the same box? how long from the factory were they? how about that transit time? could there be a difference in packaging and then an environmental impact only affecting one during transit?
  • phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    Im sorry. What is CBid? I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Cigar.com.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think it has anything to do with the cello. My guess is the cigars you received in the mail came to you over-humidified for some reason. Maybe they were a bit cool from being left out in a USPS truck the night before you got hem. Then maybe when you unpacked them they attracted a bit of extra moisture from air before you placed them in the humi. That's just my spur of the moment semi-educated wild guess. How high has the RH climbed vs your normal reading ?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the over-humi theory. Just got that chest of MOW's and you could feel the difference on the cedar trays in the box from the ones in my humi. Couldn't tell by the cigars but the wood was definitely damper. Always shoots up when I get a big batch.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK....I understand what you guys are saying. But----The cigars came from CCom, all of mine do. The shipping box was packed the same way it always is. Most of the cigars came in there own and different boxes, as always. Nothing had changed as far as the humidors are concerned.

I am more curious then concerned and at this time I am going to let them sit in cello for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Take out all humidity devices and leave the boveda in the bottom of the humi
    Money can't buy taste
    I know the feeling JD. It's kinda mysterious sometimes when I get used to doing the same thing over and over but then, out of the blue, different results occur. But I'm almost certain that the cello has nothing do do with your mystery.
    Have your pets been licking your humi's looking for candy?
    The3Stogies:
    Have your pets been licking your humi's looking for candy? Maybe marking their territory?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I know the feeling JD. It's kinda mysterious sometimes when I get used to doing the same thing over and over but then, out of the blue, different results occur. But I'm almost certain that the cello has nothing do do with your mystery.
    Same thing happening here with my last order. If not the weather / shipping conditions, maybe a change at the warehouse? My humi went from 67 - 72 percent. ?WHY? Dunno.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    The3Stogies:
    The3Stogies:
    Have your pets been licking your humi's looking for candy? Maybe marking their territory?

Have to be a really big dog.. :)
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bob Luken:
    Same thing happening here with my last order. If not the weather / shipping conditions, maybe a change at the warehouse? My humi went from 67 - 72 percent. ?WHY? Dunno.
    Interesting,............. I wonder if it's weather related during transit. Cool nights left in a truck. Warm days left in a truck. Just makes me wonder. Surely not though right? They are inside ziplocks for the most part. And surely the warehouse isn't too humid. You'd think they'd be on top of that sort of thing. This kind of mystery piques my interest.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno bout the Volunteer State, but we've been having a wet wet Fall here in Dull-Aware. When it was hot enough to have the air conditioners on, our wet weeks would get toned down inside the house by the A/C extracting moisture. When I rolled cigars, I could bring them inside to dry on my desk. Not true any more. I bring fresh rolled inside, they stay just as damp as out. Likewise: Anything in shipment several days is gonna be subjected to a damp environment, and when you bring it into your humidor, just opening the lid while you stack them you are letting moisture in. I have a digital hygro on my workbench. It's been reading in the high 80s for some time now. Didn't check it this morning; but put it this way: Had to wait for the yellow to pass on radar before suiting up and riding thru rain to the office. You going thru the same kind of week down there?

I'd say it's our change in weather.
    <br.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Dunno bout the Volunteer State, but we've been having a wet wet Fall here in Dull-Aware. When it was hot enough to have the air conditioners on, our wet weeks would get toned down inside the house by the A/C extracting moisture. When I rolled cigars, I could bring them inside to dry on my desk. Not true any more. I bring fresh rolled inside, they stay just as damp as out. Likewise: Anything in shipment several days is gonna be subjected to a damp environment, and when you bring it into your humidor, just opening the lid while you stack them you are letting moisture in. I have a digital hygro on my workbench. It's been reading in the high 80s for some time now. Didn't check it this morning; but put it this way: Had to wait for the yellow to pass on radar before suiting up and riding thru rain to the office. You going thru the same kind of week down there?

I'd say it's our change in weather.
    It was, kind of dried out and cooled off now. Plus our shipments all go PA to VA and then west, I think. Probably pretty humid in those trucks, driving through all that. Although, I guess the zip-locks should keep most of that out.

On another note, did you get that Scout? MCN is about to do an eval, I think.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    It has been at least a week. I had removed some humidifiers, but it still is high, has not gone down a single point. And the heck of it is, there is no difference in the quality of the smoke. Not draw, feel or anything.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    ...On another note, did you get that Scout? MCN is about to do an eval, I think.
    Ordered it last month. Delivery begins in December. I am way down on the list. Loads of magazines have done reviews... all off the charts. I have zero confidence in motorcycle reviewers anyways. Mostly fulla poop, lookin for a free ride. But it has the HP, features, look. Pretty sure I'll love it. Prolly be my last ride. I'll keep the KLR. Bearswatter is after me to keep the big beemer bagger; but I want to ditch it. If I ditch it, I have room in the garage to get back into hunting up derelicts, bringing them back to life, and flipping them. I like doing that.

Anyone here know Algonquian? I specifically need a Siksikiwa word for "Scout"; or if there is no such word, translation for "red horse" or for "goes ahead". Can't get anyone at tribal HQ to answer the phone or return a call.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

jd50ae:
    It has been at least a week. I had removed some humidifiers, but it still is high, has not gone down a single point. And the heck of it is, there is no difference in the quality of the smoke. Not draw, feel or anything.
    Have you replaced the battery in your hygrometer lately? Just a hunch. But sometimes they don't indicate weakness. They just give bad readings for a while and then you might see signs of weakness after that. Maybe you've ruled this out by trying multiple hygros in the same humi but I thought I'd mention it.
    Bob Luken:
    jd50ae:
    Have you replaced the battery in your hygrometer lately? Just a hunch. But sometimes they don't indicate weakness. They just give bad readings for a while and then you might see signs of weakness after that. Maybe you've ruled this out by trying multiple hygros in the same humi but I thought I'd mention it.

Almost the first thing that comes to mind...except in this case it would involve 4 hygrometers, two of which have been changed out.